News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

For those of you who missed it, yes, BigDave has a GS now

Started by BigDave, November 13, 2003, 03:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDave

Here is a repost from Oct 24 since so many of you had not seen it...

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3

QuoteWell Tiggers, yes, its true. I did trade my Tiger in on a '04 GS Adventure.

This was a very difficult decision as there were many things to consider.

First of all, I want you to know, that this website will continue as long as there is interest. I may not be the driving force behind the content anymore, but I will continue to host and maintain this website for no charge to anyone. Just because I got a different bike doesn't mean that I would just pull the plug on this. My original reasons for building this website are still valid. There needs to be a good place for the next generation Tiger owners to come and exchange information. The places to do that on the internet are limited for this unique bike. I am a total supporter of Triumph and the Tiger, and itÌs all I can do to allow this venue to continue.

As for my reasons for getting rid of my Tiger? First of all, you must know that I meant what I said before when it comes to this bike being fun. It truly is a blast to ride. I was "wowed" by this bike during my test drive. As I have stated before, I was set on getting a GS way before the Tiger came around. I suppose after years of 2 strokes and thumpers, the triple just took me away. I had never had smooth power like that. My initial impressions of both bikes were as I have stated. I really wasn't thrilled with the GS and the Tiger was great.

So, what happened?

Most of you know of my engine failure at 1000. That was a very trying time for me. I was questioning my choice. Then, my dealer and Triumph came through big time. It took a month to clear it up, but it did get resolved. I was really a drag as I missed 3 rides I was going to do. These were planned, multi-day rides in Colorado. I don't want to list out a bunch of things that I found about the Tiger that I was not happy with, I do not want to come across as a negative sounding or resentful. ThatÌs really not the way I feel. I believe the Tiger is a fine bike. I just realized after putting 3400 miles on it in 3 months (4 month of of ownership) that I was going to tear this bike up. I really think that the Tiger is more street oriented than I had once thought. I really need a bike I can take on any messed up back road or ATV trail and not have to worry about about things. You most likely read about my rocks episode and that was truly troubling. I felt like I had to keep spending money (and I certainly did) on this thing to make it what I really wanted. I guess I finally came to the realization that I just couldn't turn this thing into the bike I wanted. Believe me, I tried. I put tons of stuff on that thing, look at all the pics on the Mods Gallery.

I also figured that if I make this website, it would help me be satisfied with the bike. I made several posts to try to validate my choice and convince others as well. I feel I was honest with those statements; its just that deep down inside, I knew from the first week I bought the Tiger that I really wanted the GS. I tried to convince myself otherwise, but I just couldn't go any further. My wife already called the Tiger "The Money Pit." Because of all the money I was spending on it. With the current no payments for 90 days, then after that, BMW makes for first 3 scheduled payments and the loan is at 3.9%, I decided to do it. Part of me feels real bad about the whole situation and I hope this news doesn't upset you guys or change the way you may feel about me. I really have no regrets as it was overall a fun time. I hope you all continue to have a good time with your Tigers and if you wish, you may continue to help grow this website as a fine resource for the Triumph Tiger.

Ride Safe,

BigDave

In addition to the above, I just have to say that this doesn't have to make allot of sence.  I mean we are talking motorcycles.  Its not all about specs.  Its about emotions.  I was dead set on a GS for 2 years before I got swept away by the Tigers awesome engine.  I loved the Tiger, I really did.  I just couldnt get the image of the GS Adventure (in black) out of my head the whole time I had the Tiger.  Don't know why for sure, thats just the way it was.

Yes, this is open for discussion.  Questions, comments?  :?:

MikeF

I understand your feeling. I had the same thing happen with my F650GS. That bike should have been the right bike for me. Small, light weight and it didn't even surge, much. But as much as I tried I could never feel right about that bike. I had wanted the Tiger but thought that it was too big, too heavy for little me. So I kept the BMW for a year but it was just never right for me. So I sold it and got the Tiger and I couldn't be happier with it. It turns out that now that I've used it for 5 months that You get used to the size. So now it's the right bike for me. I still can't say why I felt the way I did about the BMW but it may have been as simple as it really wasn't  what I really wanted to start with. Anyway we have to go with our gut feelings and do what is right for ourselves. I think you did the right thing by making the change.

On another note, my friend who has a '96GS says that they do vibrate so if I didn't like my 650GS that I'd hate the 1100-1150. What is you opinion on that. How does it compare to the 955I which I think is pretty smooth.

BigDave

I notice the vibrating at low RPM's for sure.  High RPM's not really.  The triple is way smoother overall.

schaeftl

I agree the Tiger is a fun bike. I still think that its a bit more off road than the GS. Mainly because on the Tiger you get more feed back from the front tire. But the Tiger is a bit of a money pit. It seems that Triumph wants its riders to become so enamored with the look and the fit. That you completely over look the fact that the motorcycles should be built for riding. For the every day motorcycle rider. I think that this brand offers little.

Some people bitch about the engineering. But the culture of the company drives the engineering. From what I understand, Triumph wants to be a European bike. At least that is what their dealers say. But their design suggests that they want to compete with the Jap bikes. I think that they can't have it both ways. If  they want to be light and stylish like the Jap bikes. Then they should offer Jap bike quality. I would hate to see Triumph and or the Tiger go away. Instead I would like to see a change in culture. And for these bikes to become more reliable and built for their function. As an example take the Trophy. Ever wander why the sales are slow. Gee 12 K for a chain driven touring bike. Who in their right mind wants to deal with a chain when touring long miles.

The company has built some of the best styled bikes that I have ever seen. But when they don't sell they stop building them. Maybe if they built them better they would sell. And people who once owned one of the new Triumph bikes would be repeat customers. But I guess to for a company to get a repeat customer they would have to find a way for the new customers to want to keep their product. But the way things are now I feel like I had the wool pulled over my eyes. I bought because of look and feel. And now all I feel is the pain of owning a money pit.

So, you did the right thing BigDAVE. When you found  the cancer and cut it out.
He put a smile on our faces. The wind through our hair. And the ability to leave our troubles behind us.

Thank you Sylvester Howard Roper for inventing the motorcycle.

AlaskaTiger

Big Dave, Sorry you went over to the "dark side" I ride with two guys with 04 GS's and the "money pit" does not stop with a Tiger, trust me. German parts and acessories are just as expensive, and now your bike cost you an extra 5 grand!

Enjoy the Bavarian Manure Wagon, you'll be back.....

BigDave

Quote from: "AlaskaTiger"Big Dave, Sorry you went over to the "dark side" I ride with two guys with 04 GS's and the "money pit" does not stop with a Tiger, trust me. German parts and acessories are just as expensive, and now your bike cost you an extra 5 grand!

Enjoy the Bavarian Manure Wagon, you'll be back.....

Dunno about that.  I guess it depends on what Triumph and BMW does in the future.  I really dont plan on adding much stuff to the GS.  I got about $200 on it plus my bags & lights off the Tiger and I am done.  The stock screen and seat are fine.  The shocks are a huge improvement from the Tiger.  It came stock with centerstand, crash bars & heated grips so really, I wont be spending much on extras.

Pawk

So how are you liking the big pig....???

:D

BigDave

Quote from: "Pawk"So how are you liking the big pig....???

:D

I TOTALLY dig it.  Its a whole different feel.  A different approach.  The biggest single thing I like better about it is the handling via the suspension & frame.  Its a whole different world.  Totally stable and solid.  With the Tiger, I felt like I could lean it over, but everything about twisties were a struggle in comparison to the GS.  The GS is effortless in the corners.  The brakes are incredible too.  Overall, its just bigger & more comfortable for BigDave as I like the one piece seat as well.

The motor has loosen up a bit.  Seemed real tight up until about 950 miles.  Then it opened up.  Nowhere near the all out speed of the Tiger, but thats OK, you still get there.  The powerband is not very wide either so you do more shifting on a GS where I could leave the Tiger in any gear.

The thing is ultra heavy.  A whole bunch of bike to be takin off-road, but thats OK.  The underside is protected way better for off-road than the Tiger.  Crash bars do there job.  :cry:  

Some things are a little quirky about the GS.  Weird noises here & there.  A little clunky dropping into 1st.  Burns a little oil.  (looks like that is going away now that the rings are set)  Little vibration at low RPM's.  Actually smooths out at higher revs.  (just the opposite of the Tiger)   The stock tires (TKC 80's) have been great but they don't last.  I'll probably only get 2500 out of the rear.  I love these tires, but I am not going to put 4-6 rear tires on this thing a year.  I'll probably try Dunlop 604's.  

The thing sounds like a lawn mover.  I am used to it now.  At first I didn't think I could tolerate it after comin off the Tiger with the off-road pipe.  Now I don't think much about the sound.  I guess its kind of a BMW thing to be quiet and nice to your neighbors?  :x

Many GS Adv riders complain about the stock screen.  Overall, I'd give it  a 8 out of 10.  Compared to the buffeting torture of the Tiger, its been a relief.  

So far I really like the bike.  There are more things that I didn't even realize before that I really like about it more than the Triumph.  The only time I miss the Tiger is when I just want to run through the gears, do 70 in second and pray there are no cops around.   The Tiger is a great bike.  I have no regrets about it.   Maybe the next gen Tigger will address the frame/suspension and beef up the protection and the clearance of the underside.  If that happends, you may see me back on a Tiger some day.

Chris Canning

Hi Dave

Some interesting comments,i see by what you say you've certainly never had a beemer before,I hope you have run it in at a fair pace because if you ridden it like a normal bike it'll take 20,000 miles before it settles in,you made me laugh about loosening up with 950 miles,make that 10,950 miles and you'll see some kind of improvement!!!,do not put fully synthetic oil in untill it's done at least 15,000 miles,or it will never bed in properly,junk the cat and get a bi-pass pipe and dump the silencer for the Remus,with the serious lack of horsepower you've got!! you'll become a master at chaseing every little bit,the biggest improvement you can make is getting an aftermarket in duct and chip.

For you guys who are unfamiliar with Beemers,Daves thing about the lack of front end dive on his GS is an interesting one,can you imagine haveing a bike that felt that the front end, suspension and all felt like wood!!! well thats exactly how it feels,with time,(it took me about 2 years)you learn to feel what the tyre is doing and not the suspension,better??? well it's certainly very good for rideing two,but if your passenger is an exsperienced pillion makes little difference.

From a practical point of view the GS is certainly the obvious choice,or any shaft driven beemer for that matter,but if you looking for something that massages the sense's and is fun to ride,that really is debateable,i use my S early in the spring and Autumn(fall) but when the weather is warm it's the last thing i want to ride,and do all my summer touring on the Tiger,Dave as someone who's had a few beemers wait till you done 5-600 miles in a day and find that the oil level has dropped from the top of the site glass and has disappeared off the bottom and you've forgotten to carry any oil with you!!!.

Happy Christmas all

Chris

BigDave

My posts about my new bike are not to bring up Tiger vs. GS debates.  I have tried to be objective about my comparisons as the "my brother can beat up your brother" discussion proves nothing.  I loved the the Tiger overall.  It was a fun bike.  Bottom line is, I wanted a GS more.  At the time that I got the Tiger, I thought between the $avings and the thrill of the 955, I would forget about the GS.  Well, it didn't happen that way.  We all chose our bike for many reasons.  Thats fine. That's what makes people unique.  

Yes, I know the engine will loosen up more post 10K.  At 950 it did start to loosen up a bit.

No, I won't be doing synthetic till 12K.

It did burn a qt. of oil by 1200 miles.  I have put another 1000 on it & have not added any since.  BTW, I do carry oil.  Always have.

"the front end, suspension and all felt like wood!!!"

Maybe the older bikes are like that?  Have you been on a GSA?  There is NO comparison on the quality of the ride on the GS on any surface.  At least that is my experience.  I have had the bike off-road and on plenty of gravel and I have not had any issues wondering where the front end is.

I know a bunch of guys ditch the cat & upgrade the can.  I really don't have a problem with the power and I have got used to the sound.  I'll save my $ for rides.

I like the fact that I don't have to do much to this out of the box.  I'll wait till the Showas go bad before I go Ohlins.  The stock seat & screen are fine.  I added a a oil cooler guard, a sump guard extension, put my luggage and PIAA's on and I am set.

As far as having fun?  I ride this bike on every chance I get.  I can't wait to get on it.  There is something very compelling about the GS.  No, its not the high RPM acceleration, but its other things.  The overall ride, the way it corners, the seating position, the massive size & look of the bike & the way it makes me feel.  Just because I like my GS doesn't mean anything to anyone else.  If the Tiger makes you feel that way then great.  Enjoy your bike.

Chris Canning

Hi Dave

If you look at my post's none of them can be considered BM or GS bashing,just middle of the road practical observation's,there are people who read these posting's and have to do their best reading between the lines!!!,you only have to look at my quotes about what i think about the finish on the Tiger or the fact that i consider the GS to be the most practicle, if i only ran one bike.hardly GS bashing,the fact that i find beemers pretty boreing to ride,and I've had one for for the last four years,(but very practical)will certainly give people who are considering swopping from one to another alot more to think about than the'I've just bought a new bike it much better than the last one' routine

Chris

BigDave

I don't think you were necessarily bashing.  I just want to keep from having pissing matches.  Good clean comparison's is fine.  People do need to know the in's & out's of the bikes they are comparing/interested in.  I will try my best to follow my own councel as well.   :)

Billy Buck

Ditto to the 'good clean comparison's' bit. It is ESPECIALLY appreciated by me, as I'm here primarily to learn of the differences in these two machines.

One thing, Dave - doesn't the GS force the rider into more of a crouch? Haven't ridden either bike yet, but one thing that impressed me on the Tiger was the more relaxed, upright position. Definitely didn't care for the aggressive stance on the Buell, Ducati or ST...

That said, I haven't had a chance to look at the GS yet.

Renman

Quote from: "schaeftl"I bought because of look and feel. And now all I feel is the pain of owning a money pit.

Hmmm.  Now I am concerned about my decision to go with a Tiger after reading this thread.  I am selling my KLR650, and the two test rides I did on '04 Tigers were incredible.  I am in the process of buying an '05, but how reliable is it?  My KLR is reliable, but it is has no power to the point of being a safety issue.  When loaded down with gear I had to be going downhill with a tailwind to pass someone or merge onto a highway.  Not a good thing.  So I found myself putting mod after mod on the bike, but at the end of the day it was still just a KLR with no performance.

I do not plan to do much riding off pavement, and when I do it will be gravel and fire roads.  I need a reliable bike.  Will this do the trick?

Thanks for any insights,

Mark

Flying Tiger

What we've gained here is a member that has a  first hand account of what reviewers consider to be THE two top "Big Trailies" bike.  

Dave is/has been the owner of both the Tiger and the BMW.  They both have trade off's and favoraable qualities that apply the individual rider.  Is there a perfect bike?  

The question is:

Which of the qualities suits our riding styles best.