News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Crash bling test pilot

Started by Advwannabe, April 01, 2007, 08:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

Well for the second time in three weeks I've dropped Tigger.

We've been enjoying the monsoon in the Territory and as a consequence there's been lots of mud riding available.

The first two weeks ago was a jogging pace whoopsie in a bog.

Yesterday's was a bit more serious. Miles from anywhere, doing feet up slides at moderate speed along an old powerline track, the next thing I knew I was on the deck. The place where it happened looks pretty innocous.

Anyway the crashbars and rad/oilcooler guards I ordered months ago but only arrived a few weeks back did their job superbly and the bike was rideable with only a snapped rear brake lever and a bit of bruising for me.

And a word of warning for those who off road their Tigger. The snappy bike lifting technique advocated on this forum does not nesc work in mud. As you brace against the bike with your backside and lift she just keeps sliding away! A dead lift was required on both incidents so keep eating thsoe wheaties.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Stretch

Which crashbars and rad / oil protectors did you decide on?

I have Touratechs on the way, hoping they're good 'uns.

greg

Yes the Touratech are good, if they ever arrive!
2004 Girly.

Advwannabe

QuoteWhich crashbars and rad / oil protectors did you decide on?

I have Touratechs on the way, hoping they're good 'uns.

I have Touratechs and they're good'uns

QuoteYes the Touratech are good, if they ever arrive!

Ah the bitter voice of experience. their product must be good coz their customer service is crap, but people keep buying 'em.

Cheers
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Well for the second time in three weeks I've dropped Tigger.

only a snapped rear brake lever and a bit of bruising for me.

I recently put mine in a ditch. Curious, the rear brake lever pivot snapped on mine. Only £5 to replace. Is that what happen on yours?

I also broke a mirror and front indicator and a few scratches here and there. Touratech bars saved anything from heavy damage.

Advwannabe

QuoteI recently put mine in a ditch. Curious, the rear brake lever pivot snapped on mine. Only £5 to replace. Is that what happen on yours?

Got it in one BT, apologies for being a little lazy in my descriptions, it was the pivot bolt. $16 Oz and they had one in stock. Maybe they go through a few?

In an earlier thread too I gave the impression that the patented lift method had worked in an earlier off. This was not the case. I used the method but someone had their foot preventing the front wheel from sliding away. I feel this could be a real concern for the smaller/lighter among us who take their tigger offroad.

I asked about the off orad pipe and the computer said NLA. That's a bit of as blob as I'm sure they must have some lying around?
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

stanegoli

Yeah Adwannabee, I take my Tiger off road a fair amount and my single biggest fear is dropping it while alone somewhere and being unable to pick it up.

I have dropped it a number of times and have always  been fortunate that there has been someone to assist. It is a real beast to pick up.

The Touratech bars do a good job of protecting fortunately

8)

Advwannabe

QuoteYeah Adwannabee, I take my Tiger off road a fair amount and my single biggest fear is dropping it while alone somewhere and being unable to pick it up.

I have dropped it a number of times and have always been fortunate that there has been someone to assist. It is a real beast to pick up.

Mine too Stanegoli,

I'm embarrassed to admit when I first got Tigger I could lift her with the patented method, but not a dead lift.

So I've done a bit of work at the gym (you've got to laugh its how I got through), knowing that I go out in the desert on my own from time to time and that I've got a trip into the Simpson planned for later this year, some of which will be solo.

Don't know what to do if I get injured tho, will take a sat phone with me, or look around a bit harder for a riding partner.

Cheers
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

greg

I have also fallen off, in soft sand, and the only method that worked was a dead lift. Not as bad as it sounds because I have fitted rear crash bars which make a really hand grab point and don't let the bike go all the way over, which makes life way easier. They stick out just past the OE panniers, which is why I fitted them, to protect them.

Before I am inundated with requests as to where to obtain the crashbars you can't, I had matey down the road knock them up for me in his metalworking shop. They are tubular steel and designed to bend before the subframe does. They are a kind of u-shape attached to the footpeg hangers and the subframe. Also very handy for hoiking the bike onto the mainstand.

They work for me.
2004 Girly.

Advwannabe

Have you posted photos anywhere Greg?

And where's that ride report  :D
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

greg

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Have you posted photos anywhere Greg?

And where's that ride report  :D

Have a look in Ride Reports, have started a thread.
2004 Girly.

Mudhen

I was horrified the first time I tried to pick up my Steamer...much harder than picking up my old 1150GS Adventure.  Never believed the KTM950 guys - just figured they were a bunch of wimps.  But these bikes lay so flat...the real reason for those BMW jugs???
\'96 Steamer