News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Are your exhaust bolts rotting?

Started by 600scoobs, April 26, 2007, 06:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

600scoobs

Iv just finnished the last job on my cat to remove the exhaust and repaint the engine where it's peeled painwork,the studs and nuts where so rotted supprised they came out nut's where fused to studs luckly rode to my workshop so was hot.

Replaced them with stainless studding cost me nowt cut the heads off some bolts and perfect  fit 8)

A pain to do as my tank was only off yesterday for fuel sender and had to remove the rad today too but this is the last time for a while replaced the plugs and runs smoother so must have needed them.
Bikes are for riding all year not to polish on a sunday showing off to neighbours !

Steamer96

My 96 steamer has some fairly rotten nuts!, and the studs are rusting too.

My bike was a commuter bike before I got it, and suspect salt spray is main cause. I have bought replacement studs and nuts but I am worried that if I try to change them, and one shears, Ill spend the summer with another bike in bits. Anyone had experience of stud/nut replacement as a diy job?
96 Tiger

79 Electraglide

42WLA   the original off roader

600scoobs

I shall try to get a pic of how rusty my old nuts and studs are they where fused together and the nuts may have shrunk in physical size due to rust but my sockets are wall drive ie undo rounded off nuts as they work on the flat sides not corners.

Im lucky to have some snapon universal joint sockets which you need for the bottom 3 studs due to the bend in the exhaust odd angle.

The best thing to do is to spray them the night before with quality freeing agent I used Plus Gas run the bike to get it warm then take it apart rad needs to come off too,spraying again before carefull removal of offending studs you may or may not need extra heat gun to warm the head.

Iv had all types of studs snap my Fazer had 1 of its four pipes with only 1 stud holding (broke the alloy of the head) but when the rest where tight it never leaked and I removed it twice in the 3 years of ownership and 15,000 miles no probs. 8)
Bikes are for riding all year not to polish on a sunday showing off to neighbours !

600scoobs

Quote from: "Steamer96"My 96 steamer has some fairly rotten nuts!, and the studs are rusting too.

My bike was a commuter bike before I got it, and suspect salt spray is main cause. I have bought replacement studs and nuts but I am worried that if I try to change them, and one shears, Ill spend the summer with another bike in bits. Anyone had experience of stud/nut replacement as a diy job?

If you lived nearby Id offer a hand? me in Southest England