News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ever steal a bike?

Started by Mudhen, May 25, 2007, 07:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

I have...and I'm starting to feel downright guilty about it.

It has been 2.5 years since I stole my Steamer, and I'm now hard on the trail to get another bike.  But what?  Had a deposit down on Tallerman's '06 955i but didn't follow through, test rode a Daytona 955i (first time ever riding a sportbike - WOW), rode a buddies '05 Sprint, have a [refundable] deposit on a 640 Adventure, have spoken with the Husqvarna dealer about a TE610...and just found a local 1150GS Adv. and am seriously thinking about going back to that clunky old boxer.

What is so hard about this decision?  Is it that my Steamer is really ALL of those bikes rolled into one?

Maybe I should just keep riding my '96 and be happy.  Take the money I'd spend getting something new and send it to the poor lady I stole it from.  $3500 was, afterall, a steal for this bike that I have beat the crap out of...and had more fun on than I came close to having on my $17k Big Money Waster...

I'd love to hear what you guys think.  I commute 130 miles/day on the slab.  I will be keeping my Steamer.  Should I gear the Tiger up and keep it on the street, then buy a smaller bike for 'adventure' riding?  Or should I leave the lower gearing and off road wheels on the Tiger, and pick up a bike to commute on?

I've only owned 3 bikes in my life...650 Dakar, GS Adv, and this Tiger (which now has 38k miles on it)...so it's hard for me to figure out which way I should go - if any way!

Thanks.
\'96 Steamer

burntclutch

Whew, I was worried you were gonna toss out that Steamer.

Just want to pipe in before I head to the shops, I'd think to get the Sprint myelf since that was listed as an option. Off the top off my head I am not sure if you had a set of more road biased tires on the Tiger now, if not, a Sprint can pick up some Long Distance riding slack. It certainly should be a bit less buzzy.

Like I said, just going off the top of my head and using the options posted.

Patrick

Well, I can't say I stole any of my bikes. More kind of freed them.

But I like you to know that I would not even dream about replacing my Tiger Trail 900 with something more off road suited. When I think about the money, I invested in this bike, I shoulb better have bought a new LC4 or a used LC8. It would have been a better investment. 'Cause I will hardly see any of that money again, in case of selling the TT9...

But I don't regret it!

The tiger is a great bike. It's engine is second to none. And beating the shit out of it... well, you allready said it.

So why do you want to replace it? Get a second set of wheels with a pair of more road orientated tires and a smaller rear sprocket. If you have some practise, swapping wheels can be done within 20 mins and less. Believe me. This is what I did with my 955i.

Just do the right thing. And have fun!

Patrick

PS: How about the rally screen? Have you been able to fit it?

Mudhen

Quote from: "Patrick"PS: How about the rally screen? Have you been able to fit it?

Oh ya, baby!

My street tires on the stock wheels are TKCs...other than on my Dakar 4 years ago, they're all I've run (other than MT-21s/D606s on my off road wheels).  Just can't seem to kill the set I'm on now...+10k miles and only half gone.

The Sprint is out.  Before I rode it, I thought that would be THE bike that I'd be getting.  But I have lower back issues...and there's just no way to get my back straight on it.  Can't sit all the way up, can't lean all the way over.

'engine second to none'.  AMEN.  Totally spoiled with this motor.  Wish I could take it and stick it into a GS.

'So why do you want to replace it'.  Great question...as the light bulb goes on....maybe it isn't that it's such a great bike afterall - maybe it's that the way I have it setup makes it not so great at anything.  Not good enough on the commute, and just too plain heavy for the off roading around here.

I need 2 bikes.  Argh.
\'96 Steamer

DirtBiker

Quote from: "Mudhen"I need 2 bikes.  Argh.

Yep I agree there is no way around it. You need two bikes.

Put some street tires on the Tiger and pick up a DRZ, KLR, KTM, or a honda for the off road stuff.

That's my plan when the money is available.

I would love to have two Tigers one for street and the other for off road. set it up like yours (By the way nice bike Mudhen). But it looks like I can find a DR a lot cheaper than a Tiger but I'm still looking.

JRO

I need two bikes, also.  Not for myself, but my wife is never going to be comfortable enough on my Tiger, out on the highway, at highway speeds.  Above 55-60mph, it just beats her to pieces.  It's a great touring bike, for one person; not for two.  It carries two-up, just fine, but the wind is too much for her, on the back of my Tiger.  Since my daughter-in-law has told me the same, I guess it's true.  So, I'm thinking of picking up an ST or FJR 1300, for hauling wimin.  I might try the Rocket Classic route, but I just can't go the GoldWing route, anymore.

Whatever 'extra' bike I end up with, I already know it won't be as much fun to use as the Tiger.  Strange... I am perfectly happy with this one bike.  My wife's the one who wants two.

Since your complaint is that the Tiger is too heavy for real off-road duty, I have to agree with DB: get yourself a serious dirt bike, and put street tires on your Tiger.
JRO

2006 Tiger

speedjunkie

Yep, that's pretty much what I did.  Got the Tiger for urban combat, and the KTM 640E for backroad and offroad duty.  I haven't had the wife on the back of the Tiger yet, she may complain too about the wind.  I had a FJR, but my carpal tunnel bothered me even with it.  I would have to consider a R3, or similar cruiser maybe.  I've seen what a 'wing can do.  It's impressive in the least, just not for me.  'Hen, good luck!

Mike
\'01 LC4 640E

\'06 Triumph Tiger

burntclutch

hold on a sec...I've got a question for ya...

(that Rally screen looks the business BTW)

You've got a Steamer center stand! I've only heard complaints on those things ..so I am pretty interested in hearing about your experiences with yours please!

And... my DRZ-E takes care of my enduro cravings. My Tiger is the do it all...my DRZ is for jumping around on trails..and looking at a cruiser of all things for local puttering.

nightowl

That's a tough call Mudhen.  If the bike has been so good to you, you should probably keep it.   At 38K that motor has lots of miles left.  I saw an article where this one mid-90's Trident (same 885 engine) had hit 1,000,000 miles and still running strong.  It was a fleet bike in a messenger service.   Have you considered some upgrades like cartridge emmulators and a really good adjustable rear shock (wilbers?)?  But yeah they are pretty top-heavy off road.   If you can manage it, it sounds like a second bike, like a DRZ, is the way to go.  My 0.02

Cheers

nightowl

Quote from: "burntclutch"You've got a Steamer center stand! I've only heard complaints on those things ..so I am pretty interested in hearing about your experiences with yours please!

+1 on the C-stand report please.  I recently added the one Twisted Throttle sells  to my 98.  Have not hit any twisty roads yet so can't say if it scrapes.  I do recall there is more than one design for steamer C-stands.  The factory offered one, and possibly two versions.

Scott

burntclutch

Quote from: "nightowl"
Quote from: "burntclutch"You've got a Steamer center stand! I've only heard complaints on those things ..so I am pretty interested in hearing about your experiences with yours please!

+1 on the C-stand report please.  I recently added the one Twisted Throttle sells  to my 98.  Have not hit any twisty roads yet so can't say if it scrapes.  I do recall there is more than one design for steamer C-stands.  The factory offered one, and possibly two versions.

Scott

I wonder if mudhens stand is the OEM one or the one you have?

Sure would like to see how yours looks too nightowl! I have had the OEM Triumph centerstand in a box in my garage for 5 years. I keep hemming and hawing after reports of loaded bikes or just with one pillion crashing in round abouts and turns.

I am figuring with all the suspension work done, I probably won't drag but sure would like to know more about it.

Mudhen

AFAIK, the center stand is the factory one.  I've only owned the bike for a couple years, though...it had 22k miles on it when I got it in January of '05.  It works like a center stand - although it's a little tall when I have the 17" TKCs on and a little short when I have the 18" MT-21 on.  I never really push the bike in the twisties, so I've never touched it down.

I had my suspension completely redone by a place in CA...'Aftershocks'.  Revalved and resprung front and rear...total emphasis on it's dirt capabilities.  What an amazing difference.

I'm leaning towards another GS right now.  Even if I gear up the Steamer and run street tires (TKCs ARE street tires, though), I still have to get gas every morning, and I'm still fighting the wind a lot more.  Plus I like the leg room of the GS - both the seat to peg and the built in highway pegs (crashbars).  I'm only 5'9"...not sure how tall people ride Tigers.  I just really hate that stupid motor, though...and the hand position...and the sound....

This is the bike:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231979

There's also a Multistrada 620 at a local dealer, and an '05 Tiger with 3k miles on craigslist.  But with either of those bikes I'm still short on gas.  Any of you guys ever ridden a Multi?
\'96 Steamer

Mudhen

Was just at my local Triumph dealer...he said he needs to unload some new Tigers.  I guess they stocked up on them and haven't been selling any.  The price he gave me is less than that GS...

Going to take it for a spin, anyway.  I've never minded the look, just hate that stupid front wheel.  I wonder what it would take to fit these:

Lets RITFU!

:lol:
\'96 Steamer

ME-Rider

QuoteAny of you guys ever ridden a Multi?

I test rode the 620 and found it just fine.  If you're used to a bigger motor you may be slightly disappointed when you roll the throttle full on but I'm sure it would be nice for that long commute.
Ride to Work, Work to Ride

nightowl

Quote from: "burntclutch"I wonder if mudhens stand is the OEM one or the one you have?

Sure would like to see how yours looks too nightowl! I have had the OEM Triumph centerstand in a box in my garage for 5 years. I keep hemming and hawing after reports of loaded bikes or just with one pillion crashing in round abouts and turns.

I am figuring with all the suspension work done, I probably won't drag but sure would like to know more about it.

Well I took some pics of mine last evening.  Instructions here say I can't upload pics and I don't have a smugmug account or other such site to post them.  I need to get up to speed on such things.  If you PM me I can reply with pics.

Now if you ride with a passenger or load with luggage, you should be adjusting that shock to compensate, right?  Also, if you run with the eccentrics in the lower position, there is obviously more chance of dragging a C-stand.  But yes, I have read complaints about Tigers dragging the C-stand and others who say they drag their boot long before the C-stand so its hard to say.  

Scott