News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ever steal a bike?

Started by Mudhen, May 25, 2007, 07:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burntclutch

PM coming your way...

thx! If you'd like I will put the pix on my photobucket account and publish them here if that's cool.

nightowl

Just replied with pics.  Feel free to post.  It is the SW Motech C-stand from Twisted Throttle.

Scott

burntclutch

got it..will try and post later...

BTW,

wth do you use for lube? My rear sprocket has never been that clean since I installed it!

nightowl

That's more of a sign that I don't ride it enough.  I should almost put it on display in my living room.   LOL    But there is this Honda dry lube I use.  It comes in a red spray can.  Its not as sticky as most of the chain oils or that [ugh] chain wax.   When you first spray it, it acts like a light solvent and flushes dirt away (hold a rag under the chain), and then dries quickly and leaves lube film.  Seems to work good but I have not cycled through several chains so can't comment on chain life.

Scott

Advwannabe

Hi Mudhen,

I saw your first post on this but then went to New Guinea for a few days.

I like your appraoch and you seem a medodical and thoughtful guy. Forgive me if I'm stating the bleeding obvious, just thought I'd recap some of the stuff you've said and see if that clears the fog a bit...

You started off saying that you were interested in a new bike and that your steamer was too heavy for the dirt riding in your area.

Then in a later post you alluded to some concerns about the Steamer as a commuter, but in both posts you reiterated that you wanted to keep the steamer.

Seeing that's the only constant you have I'd start there. Sounds to me like you are tired of making the Steamer do everything in your riding life, but you want to keep it.

So I reckon the first place to start is to invest some quality head scratching time figuring out what of bike the Steamer will finish as ie: commuter/road/fun bike or Patrick challenging enduro weapon!

Once you've figured that out you wil at least know what knid of machine no2 should be.    

Good luck and have fun,
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Mudhen

Quote from: "Advwannabe"So I reckon the first place to start is to invest some quality head scratching time figuring out what of bike the Steamer will finish as ie: commuter/road/fun bike or Patrick challenging enduro weapon!

Garage art?

If I get a GS for commuting...my guess is that the Steamer will pretty much just sit until I'm psychologically ready to sell it (which means I'm ready to take the the 75% depreciation hit on all the things I've done to it!)

The new Tiger was ok when I rode it the other day.  On the highway at 80mph, it was more planted, quieter, and I was fighting the wind a lot less than on the Steamer.  It was fast...a wheelie machine (but those forks don't like the landings very much :lol: ).  And the brakes were absolutely crazy good compared to my bike.  The bad was the seat, which constantly rolled me forward onto the family jewels; the fuel delivery was downright horrible - on/off/on/off; the handlebars were too low (no big deal there, though - it looked like there was enough slack in the cables to get some risers), and the handling in the corners (most likely just my own inexperience with that dinky little front wheel...but I didn't like how it felt at all).

I'd sure like to stay with Triumph...new with a warranty would be nice, and it would be a blast to try to mod it up to make it an adventure bike (I have a shiny new MIG welder I'd like to try out on some crashbars, skid plates, etc)....but I really don't want to support Triumphs decision to ruin the Tiger name...so f'k them.  They don't get my money.   :shock:
\'96 Steamer

nightowl

Sorry about the hijack with the C-stand.  Should have started a new thread.  Anyway, my $0.02 on your dilema.    You have already owned a GS Adv and you have the Tiger so you should have no trouble deciding between those two.  You said you've had a lot of fun on the Tig.  I would add whatever upgrades/repairs it needs and keep it, and then get something small and light for off-road.  Its a whole different experience not to have 500-600 lbs of mass to wrestle around on trails.  How about a DRZ?  Or even smaller?  I assume you want to keep it street legal, or (?).

Anyway let us know and good luck!

Scott

Advwannabe

QuotePosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Garage art?

If I get a GS for commuting...my guess is that the Steamer will pretty much just sit until I'm psychologically ready to sell it (which means I'm ready to take the the 75% depreciation hit on all the things I've done to it!)

I feel your pain  :lol: My older brother has just got a job after going back to uni and is planning to buy a 12GS. I know it will be a better bike in the slow stuff than a Girly but I'm too pig headed to sell and I just like it!

Then when I think about what Triumph has done to Tigger I think, why bother?

I love showing up somewhere in the middle of nowhere, mud dust and crap all over the bike, then watching the locals react when they see it's NOT a BMtroubleyou. pure vanity I know but Tigger is just a bit different and I'm gutted I can't get a 'new' one.

Maybe we'll just have to turn the 1050 into the bike we want........ On the positive side its lighter and it has a great engine!

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

haulin' daze

Hen, for what it's worth, I commute on my 05 about 45 each day, all highway. Average 210 miles till the light, then about 45-50 more.  My own opinion is it's just about perfect for New England highways. Nearby dealer has a black 06 brand new just sitting. Maybe keep your steamer for the mud and a Girly (if one can be had for cheap $) for the commute? Just a thought.

Also, you don't commute down my way do you? I've seen a very similar steamer at a local hospital around here.

Mudhen

Well...rode my new-to-me '04 GS Adventure home today.  My first thought, as I was pulling away, was:

WHAT A COMPLETE F'ING TURD!!!!

My next thought was, 'I wonder how much I'm going to lose when I sell this next week'.

The motor/tranny is a total POS.  Vibrations all over the place.  At some rpms/speeds I was wondering if the rear drive was going to explode all over the highway.  Do they really sell these things for $15k?

On the other hand...after 50 miles or so I was cruising in a complete deluge of rain with my legs up on the crashbars, 80mph, one hand, and totally stabile...loving it.  I'd forgotten my earplugs, but it was quiet enough that I wasn't going stone deaf (even when I got home after 1.5 hours my ears weren't ringing).  And I got to wear my Arai XD and my head wasn't shaken apart by the wind.  When I was nearing home I stood up on the pegs like I'd done so many times in the past on my old '04...and it was AWESOME.  Perfect everything for standing up - very much UNLIKE my Tiger...which even after a 2" riser still leaves the bars too low when standing.

Damn I wish I could put my Steamer motor/tranny into the GS.  Or maybe bigger windscreen, lower pegs, fuel cell, narrower bars (the Renthals I put on are much too wide), and highway pegs for the Steamer...

Thanks for your comments everyone.  Time to get the cheesy TKCs off the Tiger and mount up some proper knobs (D606s are sitting in the garage as we speak).  Now I don't need it for commuting I can really wreck it in the woods!   [-X

Ah, not.
\'96 Steamer

Chris Canning

Well!!! after a life time of trying to find the great alrounder that does everything,gave up some years ago and came to the conclusion that most people me included, sell their bike and buy another for all sorts of reasons,the real one being the boredom factor!!!

In 99 bought my first Tiger and a BMW 1100s,seemed an expensive experiment and worked well for 2 years till i rode a 955 Tiger which i bought in aprill 2001,it cost an extra £2500 plus my 885i and i worked out if every 2 years i put 2500 away, after 6 years i'd have £7500 to spend to still have both bikes!!!,rather simplistic i guess,but here i am still with both bikes,they are just as difficult to swap from one to the other,so here i am  now with the money to buy another,and 2 free bikes that owe me nothing,maybe a little off the wall thinking!!! but has worked even better than i'd hoped.

I think you'll find it great fun swapping from one to the other.

fano

QuoteOn the other hand...after 50 miles or so I was cruising in a complete deluge of rain with my legs up on the crashbars, 80mph, one hand, and totally stabile...loving it.

That is how I feel now after I installed my steering damper. Congratulation on your new ride and how about some pictures of it. :smt030

Mudhen

Quote from: "fano"That is how I feel now after I installed my steering damper. Congratulation on your new ride and how about some pictures of it. :smt030

Again...one of the things you could have mentioned BEFORE I bought the GS...  :lol:

Here she is:

Hopefully after a few weeks I'll come to the realization that this was an incredibly awesome move and there's no way I could live without the wonder piece of German engineering sitting in my garage.

(and hopefully I don't mean this):

:roll:
\'96 Steamer

fano

Little too shiny for my taste, but otherwise it looks good. :smt023

Hey, we have the same hanguards :shock:

Mudhen

That's a great looking bike (LOVE the mud on the XD!!!!!!).  I should have gotten one and put a big windscreen on it, maybe that would have smoothed the air out enough for me.

My old GS saw its share of dirt and I paid the price in resale:

This one will be the quintessential pavement queen.  At least until someone invites me to go offroading with them   :wink:
\'96 Steamer