News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ever steal a bike?

Started by Mudhen, May 25, 2007, 07:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

Hey Mudhen,

Well you've had that machine for a few days, how do you feel about it now?

I was also interested in your opinion of the 12GS, especially compared to the 1150.

I love the smoother power and Jenny Craig program but the issues with final drives etc have scared me off.

CHeers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Mudhen

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Hey Mudhen,

Well you've had that machine for a few days, how do you feel about it now?

I was also interested in your opinion of the 12GS, especially compared to the 1150.

I love the smoother power and Jenny Craig program but the issues with final drives etc have scared me off.

CHeers

You're scared of issues with the R12 final drives but not the 1150s?  I thought the 1150s were bad...but I haven't been following the forums since the R12 came out.  Did the problem get worse?

Ya, I've put 1k miles on it so far.  One word describes this bike, 'vibrations'.  Everywhere.  All the time.  Manageable at 80mph, though...except through the crashbars, which stinks because I like to rest my legs on them.

The stability/wind protection is awesome.  For some reason, most days when I'm riding home on the Tiger I get knocked around by the wind a lot...yet the trees aren't even moving.  Not so with the GS.  I can feel/hear the wind, but the bike is solid.  Plus I don't feel like I'm expending gobs of energy just trying to hold my body upright against the air hitting me in the chest.

The big question is if it's worth the payment.  I love to tinker, but if I'm spending money on paying for the bike, I can't buy stuff for it.  You guys posting pics of your 955s done up with crashbars, skidplates, etc are pissing me off...  :wink:

And I'd sell the GS in a heartbeat if I could figure out a way to finance this thing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150133449717&rd=1,1

Mmmm...hack...

\'96 Steamer

Advwannabe

I'm not a sidecar fan..... but that rig looks sweeeet. Don't they need some kind of funny front end to steer properly though?

I feel the BMtroubleyou final drive issues got worse when they made the 12GS unit 'maintenance free'. I've been following the owners lists on them because I desperately wanted the 12GS to be good, but alas, enough issues to put me off.

Cheers,
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Mudhen

Rode the Tiger to work today...bad idea.  Holy crap I couldn't believe how awesome it felt.  So I posted the GS.  Screw it.  My Steamer is way better than that thing.  Oh, like you guys have never made a mistake before...:roll:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240788

BUT...on the way home it was just as bad as I remembered!  Does this happen to anyone here - I'm getting KILLED by the wind.  Struggling to hold myself on the bike, my jacket feels like it's cutting into my throat, and it feels like my face is trying to force it's way straight out the front of my helmet.  That's at 90mph.  Yet on my way to work in the morning at 100mph it's smooth.  I'm wondering if it's a directional thing...heading east towards the ocean in the afternoon...any weather men here?

So anyone want to buy a GS?  It would be a GREAT way to make you realize how great  your Tigers are, if you need that sort of thing   :wink:
\'96 Steamer

burntclutch

well...considering all the GS guff we have to sift thru in the press and on ADV, sure glad to get a little validation. :D

No answer on the monster head wind though...try a more angled route? :lol:

DirtBiker

Are you running those dirt tires. Maybe it's the tires (or is it tyres).

Anyway it's been pretty windy here hitting about 15 to 20 mile gusts sure I'm getting pushed around but not much more than our mini van.

I think my Tiger is just as stable as my Harley was. Maybe more because of the wind shield.

Might sound stupid but more knob and side wall flex might add up to a jumpy bike.

Just a thought.

Toby

JRO

Sounds like you might need some kind of windscreen fix.
JRO

2006 Tiger

Mudhen

Since Abruzzi has been kind enough to bring back the old posts, thought I'd give a 1000 word update on the outcome of the GS purchase:

I feel better now.
\'96 Steamer