News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Tiger query

Started by Jim S, August 21, 2007, 04:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim S

Hi all, good to see we're back in business!

Ok, I ride an 04 955i, have done for 15,000 miles. Been to Europe with it twice, also completed the Stella Alpina rally in Italy twice, long run from NE Scotland!
Apart from the dodgy fuel sender I've had no bother with the Tiger, it still looks as good as the day I bought it. A new fuel sender cured the petrol guage issue so I've no grumbles with the 955i.

The new Tiger on the other hand I'm beginning to worry about. I've considered moving to it next yr but I'm getting a bit worried about the build quality of the engine and road train. Please read the post on XRV I've attached the link to, I'd like to hear the feedback from new Tiger owners regarding this issue;

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14893

This will influence my decision regarding what to replace my 955i with next summer.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Stretch

I'm sure a few Roadie drivers will jump in here with their experiences, but it might be worth your while to also post your question on www.tiger1050.com

Lots of good folks over there also.

Don't forget to buy some stickers!  :mrgreen:

Jim S

I find it hard to believe there's no comments from new Tiger owners to confirm or deny the issue of oil usage I've highlighted.

I'm only trying to get a true picture of the extent of this problem. I would have considered a new Tiger in the future but the info I've got so far is they have an oil consumption issue. Come on guys, let me know one way or the other.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

abruzzi

I believe I read a post on tiger1050.com whee someone was experiencing a similar oil loss (could be the same person...)

That said, I have a 1050 Speed Triple (how similar are the engines?) with 3000+ miles without a drop of oil lost.

Not sure the cause...

Geof

Jim S

I would have thought the engine would be tried and tested as the Sprint and speed triples have them but I'm not convinced. Honda put the tried and tested VTR engine into the Varadero when they launched it but after the launch they were all recalled due to poor quality crankshafts, the teeth on the timing chain sprocket were poor quality and led to engine failure.

I'm hoping Triumph are not having the same issue with the Tiger 1050? I've not heard any more yet but I'll keep digging about for info.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Jim S

Update on this one, I was in at the local Triumph dealership up here in N.E Scotland and queried them on the engine failure story. They wouldn't confirm there was an issue, I explained MCN had an issue with theirs he said "but how did they ride their one?" I said probably just the same as I would!

I tried to scrounge a test of their 1050 Tiger but unfortunately someone had thrown it up the road and it was being repaired! None to even have a look at, he told me they can't get them in quick enough, he said they go out the door as quick as they come in!

Looks like they're a great seller, I've heard nothing but praise for them up to now, apart from this oil usage issue which I can't get anyone to verify if it's a more widespread issue or not. I'll still wait until I hear more on this before making my mind up, I'm not planning changing until next season now so it's not urgent and it'll give more time for the story to unfold.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

CvPiper

If you read the mileages he did when he said it wheelied in first, did 137 mph with lugage etc, that says on its own he's not run it in properly so deserves anything he gets.

BTW I work at a dealerships, and I have had not one problem with consumption on a 1050 motor.
2005 Tiger 955i, Lucifer Orange
3 Box Luggage
Rider and Pillion Gel Seats
Touring Screen
TOR Can
Scottoiller
Autocom (Work in Progress)

Jim S

[If you read the mileages he did when he said it wheelied in first, did 137 mph with lugage etc, that says on its own he's not run it in properly so deserves anything he gets]

Well, that speaks volumes to me, Japanese bikes don't seem to suffer from this, most demo bikes I've seen have a damned hard life from the word go, and I've never seen them suffer, but then hey, I worked for Yamaha, not Triumph.

Being I've ridden Honda's most of my life (Yamaha's not my cup of tea) and am probably spoiled with reliability I may be looking for too much.

But hey, I like my 955i and I'll stick with it for now. Time will tell if there's an issue and I've got plenty of that, the 955's a stunning bike and if the 1050 proves it's worth I'll go for one. If I hear more I'll update the post.[/quote]
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

blacktiger

Having just read that thread, it would seem like Sean is thrashing it to death. Any motor will use oil if it's bouncing of the rev limiter all the time. And, lets face it, you don't really need to ride these motors like that to make good progress. Do you?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Jim S

Latest update for this one;
sean  
Senior Member   Join Date: Mar 2005

Re: new triumph tiger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, basically today my tiger is ****ed!!! took it to triumph dealer as it has used a litre of oil in 700 miles. triumph dealer took off fuel tank and opened up airbox which was caked in oil, also got a fine misting of oil over front lower half of engine. mechanic has confirmed rings are goosed letting oil through. tiumph have told dealer to replace rings, liners and valve seats (i think). parts will be with dealer tomorrow and hopefully will have it back by friday. on the plus side they've lent me a scrambler to run around on!

on a serious note though, the bike was run in as per triumph instructions (ish) and has always been warmed up before being pushed.it has NEVER been redlined. the bike is well maintained and checked. my prevoius africa twin covered 179000 miles ok not using a drop of oil. i still love it to bits!!!!  

Not good news for sure. Sean is hard on his bikes but I still think this is bad news. Certainly making me think about further Triumph ownership.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

abruzzi

Since you said you weren't ready to but yet, I wouldn't worry to much untill you want a new bike, then look to see if this one or two bikes, or a general trend.  Go to advrider.com and read threads where just about every bike gets trashed by a reader that had his fail.  Then remember that every manufacturing process has flaws, and somebody gets stuck with those flaws, and because those people are (understandably) angry, they want to tell someone, so they flock to the boards and make a lot of noise.

Satisfaction rate on forums always tends to be worse than real life because the forum represents a place somone can go to bitch, so if you've seen one or two of these bikes owners show up on the boards, that should give many worries.  

As an example, the new bonneville engine/trans has proven very reliable over the las eight years, but I bought one brand new (speedmaster) that locked the tranny at 26 miles on the odometer, and threw me off the bike, while my brother ran over me with his ducati.  Today (1 year later) I still love triumph, ducati, and my brother.  My brother is even planning on buying a speedmaster. (I told him to make sure that there is 27 miles on the odo)

Geof

William Reber

As far as oil usage , all I can add is that when I went to test ride the new Tiger I noted a drip of oil under the bike , upon inspection I found a drop of oil at the oil plug , And not to mention my 06 does the very same thing. Dealer told me it's the scott oiler , however the new Triump did not have a oiler ???? :roll:

Tiger1050

5,000 miles on mine.   Changed oil at 500 (first service) to Mobil 4T and it hasn't moved on the stick since.  I'm not a thrasher but I don't baby it either.

No issues to report.  Have the off-road fuel mapping and the updated fuel gauge software installed.  Other than that, it has never seen the inside of the service department.

monty

Quote from: "Jim S"Hi all, good to see we're back in business!

Ok, I ride an 04 955i, have done for 15,000 miles. Been to Europe with it twice, also completed the Stella Alpina rally in Italy twice, long run from NE Scotland!
Apart from the dodgy fuel sender I've had no bother with the Tiger, it still looks as good as the day I bought it. A new fuel sender cured the petrol guage issue so I've no grumbles with the 955i.

The new Tiger on the other hand I'm beginning to worry about. I've considered moving to it next yr but I'm getting a bit worried about the build quality of the engine and road train. Please read the post on XRV I've attached the link to, I'd like to hear the feedback from new Tiger owners regarding this issue;  Hi, Jim.  Over here in Central Texas and know a number of Tiger Roadie riders in this area.  Don't know of anyone who has experienced excessive oil consumption or had any problems in that area.  There are lots of Tiger roadies out there so may have had some isolated problems but not in general.  I love mine (2008 Black) :D

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14893

This will influence my decision regarding what to replace my 955i with next summer.
Bill Montgomery

rxcoop

monty....question, comment, ???
07 Tiger1050 w/abs (ok, seeing a pattern..a black one)
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (r)>