News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My Labor Day Tiger Ride to Glacier NP

Started by Idhosam, September 07, 2007, 04:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idhosam

I orginally posted this on Adv but I feel it really needs to be over here, I hope you enjoy:

Well, it's been sometime since I've had any input here, been busy, anyway I needed some sort of outlet that didn't require alot of packing and I've had my fill of tent camping for this year, time to indludge myself with a CC excrusion, but what?

Well as I was mindlessly muddling through the numerous RR posts here I came across two interesting reads (there all interesting), one about a couple riding through Glacier from Boise I think it was Wind rider and another of a Texan riding his Tiger to Colorado...Humm! A plan is forumlatining! Strange, I was born in Montana and have lived here in Idaho for over 15 years but I have never been to Glacier NP, come to think of it I've never been to Little ig Horn, Cody WY, Mt Rushmore or any other local historical places...CRAP! Odd been around the world twice in my military career(21 yrs) seeing far off and ancient/exotic places even did the ALCAN twice, but never did any inward looking, SOooo isn't that why I bought the Tiger to scoot down the road in a expeditious manner and explore:huh

Aside from my May Wallowa Valley ride it's (Tiger) been pretty much sitting in my garage while Gumby the KLR has racked up some 5000 miles of hard dirt riding put on it this summer, time to do a relaxing scenic ride (yea right).

Helo-Auto made the comment he's not seen many Tigers on his trip so I made it a point to attempt to keep track of the different styles/models of bikes I encounter on my trip the results are very interesting.

I posted in the PNW if anyone would be interested in a road ride up, no takers so looks like it's going to be a solo ride, No problem. My intent was to get a jump start and leave Thursday evening but BSU's first game was that Thursday so I'll just leave Friday morning.

My Route is to head up 93 through Challis-Salmon-Darby MT-Missoula and off we go. Didn't take any pictures as I've ridden through here many many times and yes the Sawtooth mountains are beautiful. I did finally stop at this historcial marker just outside of Challis hope you can read it; talks about how the native american run the bison off this cliff to their deaths for harvesting.

From Challis to MT was twisty and so much fun I didn't even think of pictures if you know what I mean:wink: . As I came over the pass into MT there were fire crews everywhere and the smoke was extremely thick so no pictures.

Arrived in Darby and I needed a cold Gatorade so as I gulped it down looking across the street I found it humorous no sheriff or town police just the Marshal's office, I waited for Festus to step out but he never did, off I go

Sorry again no pictures the smoke was terrible all the way into Missoula I could not even see from traffic light to traffic for the smoke, man!

Took what seemed for ever to get out of Missoula hit the interstate for couple of miles to the turn off on 93 north but before I get there it starts raining I think good we really need it then I start hearing tick-tick-crack-crack, crap pea size hail wailing on me now at 75 MPH OUCH as I pull off to get my rain suit out I meet these two brothers waiting it out also. Pretty new 08 KLRs

Chatted with them for a few minutes put on my rain pants weather subsided a little so fair the well and on down the road I go, darting in and out of the rain as I could see my destination off in the distance.

Rode around the Flathead Lake (west side) on 93 to Kalispell I really liked Kalispell reminded me of what once attracted me to Boise years ago.

Well now it got ugly Friday evening a hell of a storm came up wind literally blowing me off the road and then the flood gates of skies opened and poured toughest last 30ish miles of the whole trip but I made it about 9 PM.

NOTE: Geewiz really sorry man I was wet cold and done so that's why I didn't call.

Not a bad room very clean two nights for 120 bucks and 7 miles from Glacier

DAY TWO

Well after a good night's sleep I went across the street to the "Glacier Inn"  for breakfast and coffee waiting for the very thick fog to lift, finally about 9:30 looking at the Motel across the street

Well as everyone know shi.. happens the batteries died but I bought more so on with the show.

Riding around Lake McDonald

The Lodge around the noth end

They even gave me this cool map

Friggin grid lock

Nice views

Oh yea did I mention this is the Going to the Sun road it is a beautiful view but keep the other eye on the road.

No narratives are necessary so far, EH.

Approching Logan Pass

The weeping wall

Well looks like theres no more weep left in it for this year

Hey there's a fellow rider BMW From Canada

You'll notice I decided to park next to the real adventure riders

Love this shot

OK so now we start down, man that water is clear and cold

End of Day 2

DAY THREE

Alright now as I sat in my room sipping a couple of Montanas finest, Moose Drool that is I started to recount in my mind all the bikes I have encountered on my trek.  So far I give up counting at 100 the cruisers, now that encompasses all cruiser type Harley, Honda anything that resambles a harley style therefore cruiser.  If I were to guess at least three hundred.

Now DS or touring style bikes seven BMW GS, two RT type BMW's, three KTM 950, four KLR's all 08 models, one Duck ST3 beautiful red bike, two scooters Vespa's I think and finally one Triumph a big honking Rocket.  So two days on the road and only one Triumph:dunno Didn't know they are that rare.

Back to the ride, Day Three, I get up early and depart just before & AM great time to ride no one is around so I can make real good time:evil

My intent was to turn off in Kalispell onto HY 35 to 83 but hey 35 was a great road huggin the east side shore of the Flathead so what the hell.

Bagheera ready to roll

God I love Montana Speed Limits on Secondary roads what's that 5 over law:wink:

Suns starting to crest up now, great Sunday morning not one other vehicle on the road for like 50 miles.

Pulled over to take it in and warm up as it was a bit chilly in the shade of the hill

See what I mean about the traffic

I would highly recommend HY35 around the east side of the Flathead trust me:thumbup   finally linkup with 93 and start cruising south I love the early morning rides

Here come the sun...

Well I stopped had breakfast and then got serious on my ride:evil before I knew it I was on the Lolo highway (HY12) and I must warn you this roads beckons the Tiger run not gallup, run, my face was starting to ache from the shit eattin smile I had plastered on I won't say how fast but we pushed it.  Now for the warning WARNING! DANGER WILL ROBINSON...When cresting the Lolo Pass when you see the Idaho Border Sign SLOW the Hell down as the speed limit goes from 70 to 50 just inside Idaho and down the corner were Three, that's one, two, three Idaho State Officers waiting to welcome you to Idaho!  Forntunately there were already greeting some cagers and asking for their autograph's as keep sakes.

The Lolo HY 12 is a road bike rider's paradise, I would say for every one car there were easy three bikes on this road, at least on this day.  Followed along from the ID border to Kooskia about 100 miles I was into the ride so no pictures.  Finally made Grangeville fueled up had lunch and hit the road, well I did manage to pull over and take a couple shots from the top of White Bird Grade.

This is looking down on the White Bird Battle ground area where 240 Nez Perce kicked the US Calvary's ass in 1877 (Chief Joesph)

Well headed on down it was hot as I went through Riggins started back up to higher country and about 5 miles out of New Meadows I see this

A little closer

It was blowing straight into McCall, stopped off for a cold drink and this is what is was like in town.

That's ash falling on my seat

That's looking at the sun through the smoke

On the way out of town heading south

Little better about 10 miles south

Well I decided to pull up and spend the night at my place in Cascade and finish up in the morning.

Well that's it a great long weekend ride.  

Money spent

$57.75 in gas
$124 for Motel
$ 46 in food
$12 entrance fee

~1200 miles and averaged around 51 MPG  Love that Tiger.

One more day would have been nice but I saw what I set out to see.

OH YEA, I was again overwhelmed with the number of cruisers on the road, 2 Buell's, 1 KLR older one, 3 BMW RT's and not one Triumph of any kind.  Wierd, I really like my Triumph triple guess their just not popular.

THE END...to a great summer

HockleyBoy

Great report and excellent pics, looks like you had a great ride :D
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

zadok_oz

Looks like a great ride Sam. Some nice roads. Fancy not seeing any more Triumphs in 1200 miles!
Marty F
\'03 Tiger 955i

CBAT

Thanks for posting. I'll have to get up there sometime.
Bruce

Idhosam

Quote from: "zadok_oz"Looks like a great ride Sam. Some nice roads. Fancy not seeing any more Triumphs in 1200 miles!

Yes, it's quite a shock to me also too.  I didn't expect to see many but come on, only one on the whole trip, I really like my Triumph to this point 6000 miles of just pure enjoyment.  I take it Triumphs are much more common in your part of the world, but I will say this I always spy a couple of folks checking out my machine everywhere I park.

Advwannabe

Beautiful country Idaho, thanks.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

german

thanks, bery nice trip, i am planning a little trip in US
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´

zadok_oz

Quote from: "Idhosam"Yes, it's quite a shock to me also too.  I didn't expect to see many but come on, only one on the whole trip, I really like my Triumph to this point 6000 miles of just pure enjoyment.  I take it Triumphs are much more common in your part of the world, but I will say this I always spy a couple of folks checking out my machine everywhere I park.
There are Triumphs around, but Tigers are scarce. I've had a few people looking/asking about mine when I've been places as well.
Marty F
\'03 Tiger 955i

Tama's Tigre

Breathtaking photos... they look like post cards  :!:  :shock:  :D

Mudhen

Amazing pics...can't wait till the kids are a little older and we can get out that way - until then, ride reports are all I've got!

Thanks!
\'96 Steamer

Idhosam

Quote from: "Mudhen"Amazing pics...can't wait till the kids are a little older and we can get out that way - until then, ride reports are all I've got!

Thanks!

Mudhen I can assure you if you've not been out here you and your family are in for visual sensory overload, I believe your kids will Love Yellowstone NP and Teton is a visual overload also.

Never put off to until tomorrow for tomorrow may never come! Live Life.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain