News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tigger Tyre Guide

Started by Stretch, February 20, 2008, 01:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridin gaijin

John & pitz, can you comment plse on road use and off-road use for those Distanzias? Owing to 2 cross-USA trips I have Pilots front and rear, but the rear one is shot. I want to replace both tires. I enjoyed the Anakees on & off road and am wondering about alternatives--don't want to go as hardcore off-road as something like that MITAS, the TKC-80, etc. Thanks!
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

John Stenhouse

Avon are fine in DRY off road conditions. Stay away from mud and you'll be fine.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

John Stenhouse

Not much help that was it  :lol:

Dry off road is ok with just about anything. Mud does need something that will self clean the tread and the cross over tyres like the Distanzias wont
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

pit0rz

Only 'off roading' I've done with them is the typical gravel/dirt road.  They're fine for that.  They have been very good on pavement.  Time will tell on tire wear.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

blacktiger

I've covered just over 1000 miles now on Avon Azzaro front and Avon Storm rear. They are excellent. They ride smoother than Tourances and the grip wet or dry is superb. I haven't been able to find fault yet.
They are a road tyre so don't expect to go near mud with them.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

FullMonte

The Tourance EXPs are an excellent performance tire.  They turn in quicker due to the front being a pointier profile than Anakees or Tourances.  On dry dirt/gravel they performed well when aired down, no worse than the others previously mentioned.  However, its on the street where they shine.  On most Sundays I am out ripping up the mountain roads of TN/GA/NC with some WERA roadracers on sportbikes.  The EXPs allowed me to maintain the usual pace without losing sight of my riding buddies.  The rear stepped out on me once, but it was a cold day (35 degrees) and I hadn't given the tires a chance to warm up yet.  Confidence in the rain was never an issue either.  The only downside to these tires is life.  They were toast after 2850 miles.  As always, YMSBB*

Your Mileage Should Be Better.

eldiii

Last two sets have been Michelin Pilot Roads, I've just ordered another pair at Motorcycle super store @ 262.98 out the door.  I've been mostly interstate commuting between Western PA, Metro DC (NOVA) and all over Maryland with romps through the back roads of PA, VA and WV.  My mileage is consistently 8.5 to 9K miles of life.   It's not a off road tire by any means but works very well for high mileage road trips as I'm some where between 500 and 1200 per week on the bike from April to November.

Works for me.

eldiii

blacktiger

Quote from: "eldiii"Last two sets have been Michelin Pilot Roads, I've just ordered another pair at Motorcycle super store @ 262.98 out the door.  I've been mostly interstate commuting between Western PA, Metro DC (NOVA) and all over Maryland with romps through the back roads of PA, VA and WV.  My mileage is consistently 8.5 to 9K miles of life.   It's not a off road tire by any means but works very well for high mileage road trips as I'm some where between 500 and 1200 per week on the bike from April to November.

Works for me.

eldiii

But they're French!
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Stretch

So is Sophie Marceau.

Hubba hubba.

iceweazel

Any other suggestions for straight-up Road Tyres?   I'm commuting about 110miles round trip, a few of times a week for a new job I've started.

Something longer lasting would be good, medium grip would be acceptable as long as wet performance isn't awful.

pit0rz

I'm running Avon Storm's on my FJ.  'Tis a fine tire so far...

Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

J. Breeze

Quote from: iceweazelAny other suggestions for straight-up Road Tyres?   I'm commuting about 110miles round trip, a few of times a week for a new job I've started.

I'm running Conti Street Attacks with good results although my riding is so limited I couldn't speak to longevity or wet handling.  :roll:

flux

Different question:  What is the CHEAPEST tire made for the Tiger?  I am about to make an interstate run to Louisville KY from Atlanta in a few weeks and don't wanna destroy my semi-fresh TKCs doing it.  I only need a rear, still have a 50% front Tourance in the garage.

pit0rz

the 5% Tourance in my shed would be the cheapest (free)   :P

Well, you'd have to come get it!  :D
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

FullMonte

Quote from: "flux"Different question:  What is the CHEAPEST tire made for the Tiger?  

Bridgestone Battlewing, Dunlop 607, or Maxxis Presa Detour (its made of butter).