News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gearing

Started by Chris Canning, February 15, 2004, 09:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

A question particularly to you guys in the US,what gearing do you have on your 955's

I had an earlier 900i that was 18/46 but i always felt the engine was stressed around the 100mph mark(as it rev'd 1500 less than the 955),and as i do a lot of miles across Europe put a 19 on the front which helped alot,and i was told by my local shop that the US spec on the 900 was the same.

Has anyone run a 19 on a 955?? or is that standard.

Chris

Blue Tiger

Hi Chris, I am new to this forum having just got a mint 2000 reg 885 efi tiger. Did you find the sprocket change a big improvement? I did my first motorway trip on Sunday and found cruising at 85-90mph was at around 6000 rpm. Is acceleration affected and do you need to alter the length of the chain?

Blue Tiger

Hi Chris, I am new to this forum having just got a mint 2000 reg 885 efi tiger. Did you find the sprocket change a big improvement? I did my first motorway trip on Sunday and found cruising at 85-90mph was at around 6000 rpm. Is acceleration affected and do you need to alter the length of the chain?

Chris Canning

Yes i found it altered it a lot,made it a lot more ralaxed on the motorway,not so much in the UK as the speeds are lower but on European motorways were the speeds are higher so you are running much closer to the red line with standard gearing,no you do not need to alter the chain,and while it did affect the exceleration a little it was hardly noticeable,and certainley well worth trying as the engine sprocket cost around £10.

Chris

Blue Tiger

Hi Chris, Thanks for the reply. I have just ordered a Renthall 19 tooth sprocket and can't wait to see the difference. Will fitting a Triumph race can give any benefit other than creating music for the ears?

Chris Canning

Yes i think it does make a difference with the correct 'Tune' to go with it,in actual fact i've never ridden my 955 with the standard can,but i did 14,000 miles on my second 900i and changed the can after about 3,000 and certainly noticed a difference.

Were the 900i differs from the 955 pipe wise,is that on the 900 when you put the race can on,you substitute the square collector for a straight through pipe,which means you loose a little bit of torque on the bottom end for more go!! on the top end which goes well with the taller gear.

Chris