News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

oh no, not again!

Started by abruzzi, February 25, 2008, 06:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

I just heard from the insurance...they are going to repair.  That kind of surprised me.  They told me to go ahead and order the panniers and crash bars and anything else that got toasted.  

Good thing too.  Silver girlies are getting hard to find.

Geof

Stretch

Good to hear.  Tigers are too good to shitcan.

flux

Hey Geof, strange question but did you WANT them to fix it or give you the pay?  I always wonder what I would hope for in the event one of my bikes is wrecked hard.  

So, are you going to run aftermarket panniers then?  We didn't put you in a jam with the racks did I?

abruzzi

Quote from: "flux"Hey Geof, strange question but did you WANT them to fix it or give you the pay?  I always wonder what I would hope for in the event one of my bikes is wrecked hard.

I'm not sure.  I worry that it won't ever be the same bike...but I will push to get _everything_ fixed.  It is/was a great bike, and even if they totaled it, I would get another tiger of some sort.

To some degree, I think it would have been nice to move on to a different tiger (steamer) but I did have just about every farkle done to that bike to make if great for long distances.

No worries about the stock mounts, I won't be going back to the stock panniers.  They wil be replacing the damaged aluminum panniers, so I will have full touring capacity.

Geof

flux

Yeah, I hear you on worrying if the bike would ever be the same.  I got hit in my Chevy 1500 with the suicide doors a few years ago and the truck has never been the same...the doors are almost impossible to keep closed all the way now.  And yeah, I got a jonesing for a Steamer, too.  At least all your farkles will be compatible with the bike still.

Mustang

Geof
Check the frame and engine relly good where the crash bars were attached as it looks like the left crash bar took the brunt of the impact . Look for stress cracks in the engine castings and cracks around any welds that are on the frame ,

Also from past experiences with insurance (progressive bike) once they start replacing plastic because of scratched paint the bill is going to start approaching resale of an uncrashed bike ! I know progressive doesn't screw around once you hit a high number for repairing it , it will get totaled . even if there is only cosmetic damage !
a gas tank on bike bandit for my steamer is $900 , thats just for the bare tank with paint and decals no fittings .
Start adding in footpegs and handlebars and fairing pcs. etc etc and you can see how the price will quickly come up to the level where the insurance will just say fuck it and settle , which usually leaves the bike owner on the short end of the stick .
Just my .02 cents worth but I have seen it done many times .