News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

nology coils

Started by aeronca, February 29, 2008, 08:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeronca

well my god damn coils are failing again, so i want to put nology coils on, but am not sure wich ones to use - which ones  do you guy's use?
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Stretch

Near the end of page one... the conversation between Mustang and JetDocX...

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,3925

aeronca

thanks stretch, your the best. after all the freakin work and money i sunk into this thing i thought i had it all fixed. it was running great for about 1500 miles, but on the way into work the other night it started to crap out again(same as before), and then yesterday morning on the ride home(45mls out) i lost a cylinder,and i think another one went intermittent(not sure - was too mad). so im gonna replace the other two that i didnt the first time.im thinking hard about getting rid of this thing, it's just such a cool looking bike though. :x
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

Is it a 98 . The coils are gonna make you happy  happy happy !

if the coils that are on your bike are GIL get rid of them
The triumphs that came with German PVL coils are the same as Nology coils
my 98 had GIL's  OK when new , 10 years old not so good .

They are under 200 bucks for all three and are exact plug and play replacements .

good luck .
Don't get discouraged , steamers RULE .

aeronca

do you have to modify you plug wires?(mines a 95', but should be the same part no.)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

with stock triumph wires it is truly plug and play
nology also sells Hot Wires for the trumps , get out your wallet though they are around 100 bucks .

you will need three of these
Nology ProFire Ignition Coil for Triumph Motorcycles 152-001-060T$64.99Style: Single Outlet 152-001-060T

heres a link
http://www.nologyhotwires.com/

JetdocX

Those Nology coils put a smile on my face. :wink:

Tastes great, less filling, makes you look ten years younger, grows hair, and makes your sticker peck up. :D
From parts unknown.

Stretch

"Cures fits, warts, freckles, coughs, colds, and runny nose.
Guaranteed not to rip, run, or snag.
Makes conception a wonder and childbirth a pleasure..."

:mrgreen:

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Those Nology coils put a smile on my face. :wink:

Tastes great, less filling, makes you look ten years younger, grows hair, and makes your sticker peck up. :D

that explains why I been so happy !

nightrunner

Quote from: "JetdocX"Those Nology coils put a smile on my face. :wink:

Damn.  My TT600 coil swap only produced hotter spark.  Ten years younger sounds pretty good these days.  :lol:
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

aeronca

took the coils down to the shop that last worked on them and ofcorse they said they were good. it seems to be worse at speed( just the opposite of the last time ). im wondering if the pick-up coil is crap? it ohm'ed out at 500, but that doesnt mean its good. could be going south when it get hot. the bike has shut off on me and left me stranded in the middle of the highway twice in the past - (pick up coil??????) but has'nt done that since. it just started running shitty last week. what do you guy's think????????

help

im pretty sure the bikes going up for sale soon  if i cant figure this out.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

Quote from: "aeronca"took the coils down to the shop that last worked on them and ofcorse they said they were good. it seems to be worse at speed( just the opposite of the last time ). im wondering if the pick-up coil is crap? it ohm'ed out at 500, but that doesnt mean its good. could be going south when it get hot. the bike has shut off on me and left me stranded in the middle of the highway twice in the past - (pick up coil??????) but has'nt done that since. it just started running shitty last week. what do you guy's think????????

help

im pretty sure the bikes going up for sale soon  if i cant figure this out.

the triumph coils are noted for bench testing fine (correct ohms on both circuits)but still cause problems running . They cannot produce a hot enuff spark to fire under a compression load , if you look at the spark from 1 of your plugs you will probably notice that it is a very weak looking spark .

just bite the bullet and ditch the coils , buy the NOLOGYS and be happy
also the symptoms for the igniter pickup are suddenly dying and then restart fine after cooling off . for 70 bucks replace it , cheap insurance .
On our two steamers , on the 95 I have been thru
1 igniter box $650
2 coils replaced with triumph coils b4 I knew about nologys
1 Igniter P/U  $60

On the 98 I have replaced all 3 coils with nologys
and also had to replace the igniter p/u

one question ........when was the last time you checked and adjusted valve clearances .
When those intakes start getting near zero clearance the bike will run fine cold and after about 20 30 minutes will start to run like shit cause the heat is making things expand and you will lose the valve clearance .

on another note .the 95 sometimes just acts like it is losing power and when it does the wife just flips the petcock onto reserve and it comes right out of it . Doesn't matter on the gas level , could be full could be empty , works every time .  probably has to do with the funky way the stock gas line is routed . anyway that was just a thought .
You can see though that both of our steamers have suffered from the ignition problems ,

If it was my pretty blue steamer I would do coils and p/u sender . Just my .02 cents opinion !
Good luck and keep us posted .

aeronca

i havent checked the vales since i've owned it, but the time it was in the shop they said it was'nt bad. i dialed in the p/u coil this morning a little closer and it runs a little better, so im leaning twords that being the problem (seem's pretty easy to put in), that and the shop seemed to think along those line's as well, but i'm not paying there shop rate(im a thrifty new englander). are the valve's hard to adjust? any special tools? it seems the only time it starts to miss is at 4000-4500. i come off the throttle and it will cruise along ok (miss every now and then) at 4000-and under. it idles great, starts fine, and runs around town ok.  crazy!
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

Quote from: "aeronca"i havent checked the vales since i've owned it, but the time it was in the shop they said it was'nt bad. i dialed in the p/u coil this morning a little closer and it runs a little better, so im leaning twords that being the problem (seem's pretty easy to put in), that and the shop seemed to think along those line's as well, but i'm not paying there shop rate(im a thrifty new englander). are the valve's hard to adjust? any special tools? it seems the only time it starts to miss is at 4000-4500. i come off the throttle and it will cruise along ok (miss every now and then) at 4000-and under. it idles great, starts fine, and runs around town ok.  crazy!
yep and if you hang on does she come back alive and scream to redline ?

between 4000-4500 is where the coils give up , that's how mine was .
Do the coils  that is a very common problem on thunderbirds and trophys also and the problem is at 4500 rpm every time
COILS COILS COILS

BTW according to the TRiumph service manual you should have an air gap of .6-.8 mm on the igniter pickup . that converts to approx .02 -.03 thousands of an inch , I just set mine with a matchbook cover !

How many miles on bike ?

My 98 has had the valves done once at 20K and all intakes were tight to zero clearance , again at 30 K and all intakes were tight again . again just last week at 50 K and all but 1 intake was tight and 3 were at zero clearance . I set them on the high side of spec so that I can go longer without messing with them .
In my experience from all the diff trumps I have done valve adjust on the intakes get tight and the exhausts rarely need shimming .
It is a pain to do the adjust but at least when you do it yourself you know what they are . and the plus side is you save about 300 bucks by doing it yourself .

YOU MY FRIEND HAVE THE DREADED COIL FAILURE OF GIL COILS !
that is how they act when they are fooked !

JetdocX

FWIW, valve clearances are either in spec or out of spec.  This "not that bad" statement is vague as hell and suggests to me that a few of them are out of spec. :?

At my 24,000 mile check: all but two exhaust valves were tight.

At Cos' (Girly) 12,000 check: all but one valve was too tight.

If you have not done this in the last 6-8,000 miles, I would recommend that you do it before you burn a valve.  Then it gets really expensive. :wink:
From parts unknown.