News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How to clean the stainless exhaust system

Started by wuff, April 05, 2008, 04:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wuff

Ello all I have a question how are you keeping the stainless exhaust looking good. I ride pretty much on road all the time so I want it to continue to look good. Any ideas on keeping the shine going. Thanks for the input.
No matter where you are, You are there.

ChrisN

Autosol works well.
Chris

Yukon

Your basic Dollar General brand toilet bowl cleaner (16% Hydrogen Chloride) will do the trick.  This picture was taken when the bike had 6000 miles on.  The pipes were copper color and I only cleaned them 1 time.

Stretch

Nice!  Does the overspray harm the engine paint?  How long do you let it sit?  Brush it around or just hose it off?

Yukon

I applied it directly with a sponge in a well ventilated area, then hosed it off.  No need for it to sit at all and no overspray to worry about.

Stretch

Sweet!  I'll get right on it.  Thanks.

paulie

i'm curious how my old standby would work.. barkeepers friend.
stuff works wonders on our stainless pots n pans, i imagine it would do the same on the exhaust
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

goosen2002

I was just biatching the other day about how bad my exhaust looked! I was asking a friend if he knew of anyway to get it clean ... he didn't. THEN, as I was lurking here I found this thread. Armed with an old sock and my toilet bowl cleaner I attacked the exhaust. I really shouldn't say attacked, it was effortless and only took about 15 minutes!!!!! I have never seen it look so good. Thanks for the great tip!
Black 2002

The Midnight Rambler

Damn!
Should have read the tip before spending £7.99 on 250ml of Hein Gerickes Edelstahireiniger. Thats "intensive cleaning agent for all exhaust systems made of stainless steel" to you and me.
Don't the Germans have a way with words.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
― Hunter S. Thompson

Yukon

QuoteI was just biatching the other day about how bad my exhaust looked! I was asking a friend if he knew of anyway to get it clean ... he didn't. THEN, as I was lurking here I found this thread. Armed with an old sock and my toilet bowl cleaner I attacked the exhaust. I really shouldn't say attacked, it was effortless and only took about 15 minutes!!!!! I have never seen it look so good. Thanks for the great tip!  
I can't take the credit for this one.  My local dealer (Triumph of Windber) gave me the tip.   They're good guys out there.  Small operation, family owned and operated.  I stopped in on Saturday to make an appointment for a state inspection, they did it while waited.  I had a bad rear brake light switch and they had none in stock.  So they took one off of one of their new bikes and put it on mine.   :eusa_clap

Stretch

Good ol' toilet cleaner.

Now my bike looks great and my shitter is disgusting.

I fail to see a problem.   8)

HockleyBoy

Anyone know a brand of toilet bowl cleaner here in the UK that contains Hydrogen Chloride?, had a look at a few in the supermarket last weekend and couldn't see any.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

MIUC

Same as Hockleyboy, but in the U.S... Read this and run to the store, but did not find a toilet cleaner with Hydrogen Chloride.

What brand did you guys in the U.S. purchase?

TXS!

Yukon

I used the "Dollar General" store brand.

HappyMan

I used Lysol brand toilet cleaner.  Worked like a charm.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com