News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Pre-Air Filter???

Started by JetdocX, April 25, 2008, 05:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

Before I re-invent the wheel, I'd like to check here and see if any of you were kind enough to do my legwork for me beforehand.

New air filter=$60.  Must remove the carbs to remove it.  Supposed to last 24,000 miles, right?  Air intake horn near where the rear tire throws up all the dust, mud, water and rocks?  What fookin' rocket scientist designed this little gem of an intake system? :evil:

I clogged my air filter in less than a week riding in the desert.  I'm not happy about the amount of work it takes to replace it and I'm really not happy about how much this thing costs.

Has anyone made a pre-filter to fit in one of the rear airboxes.  If not, I'm going to buy some filter foam and make my own.

This air filter business is ridiculous.

And, yes I am going to clean the main element and keep it for a spare.

Thanks. :D
From parts unknown.

Patrick

Whoops. He sent me a message that I answered. After that I saw this post. I think, some parts of my answer are quite interesting for other people so i will cite some of it's text:

QuoteWeeeeell....

That is not as easy as it looks... and may have some major drawbacks...

BUT: I lost both calming chambers (right word?) and installed a paper Filter at each side. There had to be a Modification of the rear end of the airbox to make the filters fit justifiedly. And some foam rubber.

The filter cartridges were hold in place by some threaded rods, that were hooked into the air box on one side and tigghten the cartridges with wing nuts on the other side.

QuoteDisadvantage of this setup: The filter cartridges are positioned in the dusty range of he rear wheel and choke quickly. When in contact with water, the paper macerates and the engine won#t get any air until the paper dries.

In the meantime I lost this setup. I modified the airbox in such manner that I use an LC4 airbox with an LC4 foam filter as pre-filter setup. I will post pics shortly.

Last weekend I learned diferent, not as effective, but easier-to-install setup: Put some fine gauze over the intake snorkel. You will lose some of the airflow but will be able to compensate it by opening the second air intake. The gauze (if fine enough will prevent lager dust and dirt particles from entering the airbox.

It may help to transfere the air intake (with any kind of hose or something into an area that is not as dusty as the rear wheel spinning aarea (i.e. under the seat?)

I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Greets

Patrick

CBAT

for my trip to Big Bend last year I went to cycle gear and bought a 2 (IIRC) inch Uni Universal foam filter and clamped it to the intake snorkel. I did not oil it since I was just looking to catch the biggest chunks of dirt and I didn't want to impede air flow that much. It worked great. At the end of each day I would take the pre-filter off and knock the dirt/dust out. It tucks up under the rear side panel no problemo.  :wink:
Bruce

JetdocX

I'm sure someone has tried it and failed, but what about eliminating the stupid airbox(es) completely and clamping three filters directly to the carb intakes?

I know the jetting will change.  I'm trying to avoid the $70 filter replacement and the work of getting to the stupid filter.

Anyone?  I may just try it for grins.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

the three pod filters has been tried and you can make it work , but you will need a dyno and lots of trial and error . the beast runs best with all of the plastic duct work triumph designed . the uni filter over the snorkel is the best and easiest fix ! my .02 opinion . your results may vary .

nightrunner

Yup, in fact K&N even listed (or used to) the part # for the three pod filters.  I'm not sure anyone ever really put the effort into sorting out the proper jetting.   But plan on pilot and main changes, and drilling the slide. I also recall someone posting that the center pod hits the frame spine.  This was long ago on one of the Yahoo Tiger groups (in case you're up for searching)
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

JetdocX

I was looking at the center carb and figured the frame post was going to cause a problem.   :roll:

This induction system is poorly designed to say the least and I'm sure this bike was not meant for desert riding.  Is there dust in Britain? :?   Probably not.

How about cutting some filter foam oversized, oiling it and stuffing it into the smaller aft airboxes.  When one side clogs, remove a fairing and uncap and drive on.  That's kind-of the direction I'm heading.

I'm waiting for a new air filter right now instead of riding the bike and it pisses me off in a big way. :evil:
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Patrick,  saw the airbox mod on ADV.

Care to share with the rest of the class?  Please?  Pretty please, sugar coated? :lol:

With a side of bacon????
From parts unknown.

aeronca

BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: [/b]
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

JetdocX

MMMMMMMM!   BACON! 8)
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

American bacon, not that Canooooooodlian ham stuff.  Really!

Back bacon, baby. :D
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Over two billion pounds of bacon are produced in the U.S. each year.

Fuck yeah.

JetdocX

Should I use bacon grease in my aftermarket air filter?????? :roll:

PUI bacon air filter forum now!
From parts unknown.

Stretch

It would probably make it easier to get the airbox in and out.