News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

"New" 06 Needs Service - But where in South Texas?

Started by jmurguia, April 29, 2008, 12:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmurguia

Suggestions on where to take beloved Tiger to get serviced in San Antonio, Tx area?

1. BMW just added Triumph to their dealership here in town, but they told me to call ahead of time so they could "get someone in the shop to work on it"...(not confidence inspiring)

2. Lonestar BMW in Austin Texas, about an hour away...(has excellent reputation, but very long wait)

3. Local shops - One I trust through personal experience (on all of my previous Japanese makes...owner said, "no problem, they are similar to Kawasaki design."  Second shop has been around for a lot longer, and owner is originally from Birmingham, but I have never seen a Triumph in the shop.

I have limited (read "nil") experience working on bikes, except oil & airfilter changes.  I do not mind investing $$$ in dealer service as long as it is quality.  But, if a small shop can perform same work/quality, I enjoy independent "mom-&-pop" shops...

Any feedback is appreciated. I plan to enjoy my Tiger for many, many years...
2006 Triumph Tiger - BEST BIKE I\'VE OWNED!

JetdocX

Muddle through it yourself and ask the knowledge base here if you have any questions.  You will not find timely quality service, based on your earlier statements.

Then take the $$$$$ you saved and farkle your bike accordingly. :D
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Quote from: "jmurguia"...owner said, "no problem, they are similar to Kawasaki design."  

How's that?  They not wiggly air-cooled V-twins?  :mrgreen:

Honestly, there's not a whole lot on these bikes that any competent metric bike mechanic couldn't handle, with the exception of programming a fuel injection map.  You need the Triumph computer for that, OR you can buy a Tuneboy and do your own (500-600 bucks or so).

But otherwise, these bikes aren't terribly complicated.  If you really don't care to service it yourself, and do believe in the folks at the Kawasaki shop, buy a copy of the Triumph 955 Tiger service manual, and loan it to them while they're working on your bike.  Without it, they might be tempted to just wing it.

JetdocX

Sorry Stretch, but you are assuming the bike techs are capable of reading.  I'm not so optimistic. :roll:
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

It also depends on what you are having done.  Some mechanics will turn it down because "It's a British piece of crap".

The SA dealership may be your best option if you don't want to wait for Lone Star.  The SA place is pretty nice and do a great deal of resto work on vintage Euro cars, so maybe they have some decent mechanics around?

Lone Star seems to have a decent rep, and I talked to their Triumph guy at one point and he seemd both cool and knowledgeable.

Good luck.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Stretch

Quote from: "JetdocX"Sorry Stretch, but you are assuming the bike techs are capable of reading.  I'm not so optimistic. :roll:

The manual has a few pictures.  I guess the rest.  It's been working so far...   :mrgreen:

JetdocX

We all know that's not the truth.  Next poster?
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Quote from: "JetdocX"Next poster?

JetdocX

Is she flashing the shocker?  I might be offended..... :P
From parts unknown.

Stretch

Hm.  I seem to be feeling a bit punchy this evening.