News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

OHHH my GAAAAWWWWDD

Started by Bixxer Bob, May 03, 2008, 09:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

On my usual commute home yesterday I had THE most disturbing event in all my 36 yrs of biking.

I was on the A420 from Swindon to Oxford just before the first dual carriageway section. About 1/2 mile before the dual carriageway I passed one of them new Audi mid-engined fast things (R8?). I gave the driver a wave cost it's a cool looking car, and he nodded back. Going on to the DC I passed him and then he followed me up to about 90 ish. I pulled in to let him pass if he wanted but he stayed put (gimme a break, I was on the Tiger so I was never gonna take him).

Anyway, a quick flick round the roundabout and then in front was about 3/4 mile of straight, empty dual carriageway except for a truck about half way along. "Ok, we'll see what he's got", I thought and wound the old Tigger up, expecting him to pass me. Hooked 4th. looked down, 80-odd on the clock, big handful, momentary ease of the throttle, hook 5th - except the throttle didn't shut, it opened wide!!! !Shiiiiiiit" front wheel lifting, engine red-lining, truck coming up fast and still on one wheel!!! Hook another gear (why, FFS?? Well, I was too busy to think at that point and it was sorta reflex) Leaned right and forward, the front kissed the ground for a second and the bike turned, just enough to get round the truck. Now 2-way traffic and a left hand bend looming "This is gonna be a big one" I'm thinking by now when finally, I was able to settle it enough to get my thumb on the kill switch. As the engine died I looked down and the speedo was descending through 115mph. My heart rate was about double that!!!

I pulled over into a side road as the R8 passed me shaking his head. He must've thought he'd just been taken by some sort of gold-plated nutter!!

I've never been a smoker but I could've used a ciggy at that point. I called the breakdown people and they recovered me home without further drama, so, after a cuppa I took the tank off and found that the muppet  that installed the Scottoiler vacuum take-off had unfortunately installed it so as I gave it full chat, the 'T' piece got under the throttle actuator and held it full open. A quick and easy thing to put right but should never have happened.

I'll be writing to Scottoiler to warn them of the possible problem.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

aeronca

thats some scary shit brother. glad your ok. go have a pint(or two).
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I took the tank off and found that the muppet  that installed the Scottoiler vacuum take-off had unfortunately installed it so as I gave it full chat, the 'T' piece got under the throttle actuator and held it full open. A quick and easy thing to put right but should never have happened.

Yes, as per a common thread, I am even more convinced not to let a "mechanic" touch my bike!
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Stretch

Dang!

Sod the bloody muppets.  My bike - my hands (and the remaining half of my brain).

Glad you're okay.

Bixxer Bob

Cheers for the kind thoughts guys.  And, like you all,  I rarely trust my bikes to anyone else to work on, but the Scottoiler was fitted before I bought it so may have been a previous owner.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HiVel

Muppet?  A friggin idiot-we have had some interesting mechanical FU's
here on our bikes-no headlights plugged in-various hoses on the engine left hanging or hooked up wrong, tire pressure left at 90 lbs on a wheel/tire change(that one almost killed me!). bike dies at idle in traffic  and on and on-- QC in the shop is not good at any dealer I know of at the present time. There are a few private service folks that do very well.  No body is perfect!
Check the work or do it yourself my Angel sez.  

Glad you are OK!  Musta been some ride!
eat dessert first!

TigerTrax

Hey Bixxer Bob...
With 11 years as a rider instructor, I can tell you with certainty that MANY a rider would have reached for the ignition key to shut the bike down and NOT use the 'kill switch'. They do not use the 'kill switch' EVERY TIME THEY START AND STOP THE BIKE and when an emergency arises..... they resort to old habits.... and that can worsen the problem.

Glad you are all well...
Q: Does that stuff rub off the seat?
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Bixxer Bob

Hey TT,

I've been mulling this over since it happened, and been back along the roads where it happened to see if I can make some sense of what I remember.  It occurred to me that I travelled about 1/4 mile between realising something was wrong and me hitting the kill switch.  Judging by what I think I was doing (speed wise) when I started, and what I know I was doing when I cut the engine,  I averaged 90 mph over that distance, which equates to about 10 secs.  I reckon it took me a couple of seconds to realise something was wrong because I usually ease the throttle rather than close it and do clutchless up changes.  I only really realised it was getting away when I went to roll off the power at about 86mph and it kept pulling.  The tug on the bars when I expected my weight to transfer forward lifted the front wheel and, once up, it kept rising.  Another second or two was wasted when the engine hit the limiter and I changed up, fearing it might burst.  As I got it settled it was only then that I could get my hand back round the throttle to hit the kill switch, another two or three secs.  

What all this shows me is that recovering from  losing the front on gravel, or sliding  or locking the rear is reflex to anyone who's been riding  some form of two wheels all their life.  Whereas a jammed throttle is something you rarely encounter - certainly it's my first in 36yrs of motorcycling - so has no reflex action and therefore requires conscious thought.  That thought process is slow when 95% of available brain power is focussed on trying to control what's going on rather than resolve it.  Hence the long delay before I was able to hit the kill switch and coast another 1/4 mile to a stop.

And yes the seat does wipe clean - I've got one of those genuine Triumph gel seats with the smooth finish, rather than the waffle weave on the standard one  :lol:

TigerTrax

I agree on the jammed throttle issue....

When i finished with a class I would advise the students that when they get their own bike, take it to a big parking lot and work on 'hard braking'.

Head for a designated point at 25 mph ... when you cross the line apply brakes hard and come to a complete, controlled, stop.

Do it 3 times, then move up 10 mph and repeat.

Do it until you are in the 70 mph range.... many riders have NEVER done that and have no clue as to how their bike will respond.

I always figured one should learn how to STOP a motorcycle before learning much of anything else. Stop... get off... walk away!

Again... glad you ar OK.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Bixxer Bob

I spent a couple of years teaching Compulsory Basic Training  (the first step for anyone wanting to ride a motorcycle inthe UK), mainly youngsters and very rewarding.  I still get the odd tug on the sleeve when I'm in the local bike shop and a smiling scruffy face sayiing "I'm still alive mister" which is thanks enough in itself.

The best course I've done myself in recent years was run by the Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists and was called slow handling skills.  

As you rightly say,  it stresses the importance of being able to control a motorcycle properly at very low speed - slower than walking.  It's amazing how much even the very nervous can improve in just 3 or 4 hours.  It included front and rear brake practice up to 40mph.  Most students found deliberately locking the rear wheel a bit scary at first, but within 1/2 an hour they're broadsiding with the best of them.

Take care out there...   :)