News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sprocket cover off..again

Started by threepot, August 21, 2016, 04:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

During the last few rides,I've noticed a strange 'rubbing' noise from the chain? So,with an oil change due,and crap weather,decided to investigate. After removal of the sprocket cover,revealed 2 pieces of plastic pipe from my chain oiler,which had been dragged under the sprocket! Not used the oiler for a while(stopped working)so hadn't noticed pipe was missing. But what's surprising is how quickly muck and crud can build up there! I'd only cleaned it out about 18months ago?! I ride a lot on B and mountain roads,and occasionaly the odd track,so maybe thats the reason?
I'm also going to try a 19t sprocket,and fitted a new clutch pushrod seal.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

thebiglad

Quote from: threepot on August 21, 2016, 04:03:25 PM
During the last few rides,I've noticed a strange 'rubbing' noise from the chain? So,with an oil change due,and crap weather,decided to investigate. After removal of the sprocket cover,revealed 2 pieces of plastic pipe from my chain oiler,which had been dragged under the sprocket! Not used the oiler for a while(stopped working)so hadn't noticed pipe was missing. But what's surprising is how quickly muck and crud can build up there! I'd only cleaned it out about 18months ago?! I ride a lot on B and mountain roads,and occasionaly the odd track,so maybe thats the reason?
I'm also going to try a 19t sprocket,and fitted a new clutch pushrod seal.
Hi Threepot, you'll get that level of crud in a matter of months if you use chain wax. I just bought my road queen about 5 weeks ago and when she started making funny noises I whipped off the cover to find grey grinding paste type sludge equivalent to the size of maybe a tennis ball in total. YUK !!!! As it's so easy to do I plan to clean this cover REGULARLY;

In other news - I recently fitted a 19T to my 2006 Tiger 955i and I find it a significant improvement with no downsides.
2006 Tiger 955i

Chris Canning

As someone who strips his bike to clean it as opposed to bucket and water I'm a great fan of chain wax Wurth dry lube and I get very little build up.

Re the 19t sprocket the motor will be very flat without the Airbox mod.

thebiglad

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 29, 2016, 10:34:34 AM
As someone who strips his bike to clean it as opposed to bucket and water I'm a great fan of chain wax Wurth dry lube and I get very little build up.

Re the 19t sprocket the motor will be very flat without the Airbox mod.

Well mine doesn't feel flat at all with the 19T - maybe the previous owner did the airbox mod or just maybe our expectations are different.

On a more general point you do seem to be jumping all over my posts Chris. I know I'm new to this forum and my Tiger but I'm not new to bikes or spannering. It doesn't seem to be a very friendly or welcoming attitude.
2006 Tiger 955i

Sin_Tiger

Simmer down chaps  :nono just coincidence that you're both active while it's quiet. Time for a brew  :new_popcornsmiley

Anyway you're on my patch and we're talking Steamers which are mucky beasts.  :mut
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

iansoady

Hi Dave.

It's much more polite than  Landyzone!!
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Quote from: thebiglad on August 29, 2016, 01:59:09 PM
Well mine doesn't feel flat at all with the 19T - maybe the previous owner did the airbox mod or just maybe our expectations are different.

On a more general point you do seem to be jumping all over my posts Chris. I know I'm new to this forum and my Tiger but I'm not new to bikes or spannering. It doesn't seem to be a very friendly or welcoming attitude.

And from my point of view your a newbie who turned up trying to re-event the wheel when it comes to the Tiger,it's a friendly forum I'd try seeing if the door is unlocked instead of just trying to smash it down. :icon_biggrin:

My concession was not picking you up on the shock spring!!! It's alright changing springs assuming the compression/rebound can handle it which it can't even handle the stocker but really is another thread do a search on me and Ohlins or Timbox and or Spud their are loads of folks on here been there done that it's all on the search button.

thebiglad

Quote from: iansoady on August 29, 2016, 04:59:03 PM
Hi Dave.

It's much more polite than  Landyzone!!

Hi Ian, I think I'll reserve judgement for the mo'.
2006 Tiger 955i

Nick Calne

Hey Threepot

Have you checked your chainguard too. There is always a good pound of Wiltshire's finest crap in mine even after a short ride.

I need a new chain sprockets oil change etc rubbing blocks etc. so I'll see if I can beat you for absolute weight of sh1te accumulated in a couple of weeks.

N.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

threepot

Well,I've done a few hundred miles since fitting the 19t,and I'm happy with the difference it's made. I ride a mix of road types,mountain,B and A roads. No noticeable difference from stationary,but I've noticed the 'pull' from the engine isn't quite as 'crisp' from low revs negotiating say ,a slow uphill road ,or tight bend?. But a change of gear down compensates. But the difference it makes higher up in the revs,and at higher road speed,makes it a worthwhile 'mod' I think! The bike pulls much stronger,and longer in the higher gears. And more 'relaxed' cruising. If you do most of your riding on
Main or A roads,give it a try.  No difference to chain length either.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Quote from: thebiglad on August 29, 2016, 10:30:58 AM
Hi Threepot, you'll get that level of crud in a matter of months if you use chain wax. I just bought my road queen about 5 weeks ago and when she started making funny noises I whipped off the cover to find grey grinding paste type sludge equivalent to the size of maybe a tennis ball in total. YUK !!!! As it's so easy to do I plan to clean this cover REGULARLY;

In other news - I recently fitted a 19T to my 2006 Tiger 955i and I find it a significant improvement with no downsides.
Hi. It's a few hour job on the steamer. You need to remove the sidestand bracket to remove the gear selector,and cover. But think it should be part of 'general maintenance'? I  did it less than 2yrs ago,and was surprised how much had built up there,and the sprocket had started to wear.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

fishnbiker

Quote from: fishnbiker on September 08, 2016, 08:01:27 AM
While you're at it, why not do the "Sprocketectomy" conversion? Cutting the sprocket cover free from the oil reservoir section. This allows access without all the fussing. I regularly change from 19 tooth to 17 tooth in 15 minutes this way, depending on where I'm riding. Photos  & more info to follow tomorrow.

This idea seems to be first introduced by Mustang, a longtime contributor here. His info at:

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5024.msg31574.html#msg31574

My version included a little more fabricating & welding. Also includes a dipstick. I can provide guidance if anyone interested ...
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE