News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

a Pain in the...

Started by pit0rz, June 08, 2008, 04:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pit0rz

Back.  I finally got to take the '03 Tiger on a week long trip.  Since purchasing it my rides have been typical commuting and short spirited sport rides (100 -150 miles) on the weekends.  This time we were fully loaded up with all three cases for a week away from home.

One problem surfaced, my back was in agony at the end of the first 400 mile day.  The pain is a dull ache across the mid to upper section of my back.  Some stretching relieves it but not for long.  I'm used to riding sport bikes for the last 20+ years and I'm trying to figure out what is causing this.  Seeing that the riding position on the Tiger is rather upright, all of my body weight is on my bum, something that I'm not used to.  The other big difference is the reach to the bars (or lack thereof) and the bar height.  I'm thinking that this is most of the problem as I'm sitting perfectly upright with my arms much higher than I'm used to.

I'm going to try and rotate the stock bars forward a bit in an attempt to get my body leaning a little more forward.  On my other bikes my body weight seemed much better distributed by my arms / butt / legs.

Comments?  Anyone else experience this coming from a sport bike background?  If so, what was your remedy?
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

DirtBiker

You might try getting a seat with a back rest I havn't seen one but Corbin I here can do almost anything to a seat.

I rode a friends GS about 100 miles with one I didn't like the look of it (kind of sissy) but it makes a long ride comfortable.
You can just lean back and relieve some of that presure off your back.
I'm thinking of one for my bike.

Toby

ThreePutt

I tried to get Corbin to build me a seat with a rider backrest and they wouldn't do it.  They sited a safety factor on "that type of bike".  This was a few years ago.  Maybe they will now.
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT

Bud

I get the same pain. Its from pulling on the bars to keep ourselves upright.
If I keep a good arch in my low back and my torso tight, I tilt forward naturally and the pain goes away.
Easy to do early in a ride, harder to do late in a ride. Its a core strength/endurance thing.
God forbid I do some strengthening to cure it.

blacktiger

If I were you, I'd pay a visit to an osteopath just to check if you're all in line.  I sometimes get an ache between the shoulder blades and it's because I have a vertebrae slightly out. A bit of stretching and maneuvering puts it right.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

stook

I raised the bars a bit and pulled them back a bit (Rox up 2", back 1" riser). I'm sure it won't work for everyone as we all have different upper body sizes and different arm lengths. Worked for me though.

Edit: Should have mentioned that all cables and wires still reach and the bars still clear the tank on lock to lock. No modifications were needed other than installing the riser and adjusting the clutch cable a bit.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "ThreePutt"I tried to get Corbin to build me a seat with a rider backrest and they wouldn't do it.  They sited a safety factor on "that type of bike".  This was a few years ago.  Maybe they will now.

They gave me the same line at last year's BMW national rally. Didn't matter that my bike has 17" magnesium wheels and clearly isn't going offroad.

We're such a small market they don't care to spend the time figuring it out.
Bruin\'

TigerTrax

You need to address several things for optimum, long distance, comfort.

1. Get your weight off your butt. The vibration and suspension dampening will slowly compress your spine ... top to bottom.
I would want the seat back enough for a slight lean... without 'bowing' your lower back... that bulges your lower vertabrae... NOT GOOD.
( See PEGS )

2. Adjust your bars so that your elbows are are lower than your wrists.
   This takes away tension from your shoulders and neck. I use 1" UP and
   1" back risers. This gives me many positions to make my adjustments.
   ( That's my preference ... you may not need that .. I am 6'5")
   Moving the bars closer help drop your shoulders by minimizing 'reach'.

3. Seat: I do not want this to be a thread issue ... determine if your seat
    is a good height/width/length fit for you. If it's stock, you can have a local guy do some work ( find a m/c seat guy ). Aftermarket.... if you want that 'oh my butt feels good' after 700 -800 miles.... your seat will cost about $500.  I ride a Corbin, it's a fine seat for $300 and I've done 1100 miles in one day. But if I were to do it again... I'd look at Russell Day Long;
Rick Mayer, maybe even Sargeant.

4. Pegs:More important than you think! Your legs should be at a slight
    downward angle (hip to knee ). This 'opens' your pelvis, helps create a natural curve in your lumbar, minimizes pressure on your vertabrae.  

7. Wind Screen:
    Determine if your windscreen is 'forcing you to move' into an
    uncomfortable riding position. I know mine used to. If it does.....
    everything else you do is almost a moot point.

6. Back Rest. I believe they can help on the long haul. NO... Corbin will not put a drivers back rest on a seat for a Tiger. But on a long haul, pack a few things on your back seat. I do not believe a back rest is necessary, but sometimes it feels good.

7. About one month before you take off on a long distance venture.... load up on water. It will do 2 things for you. Help minimize dehydration which occurs ALL THE TIME while riding. And it will help add water to cells between joints and vertabrae ... which helps eliminate the pain. You can buy supplements that improve that process... it's agood thing!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

goosen2002

Quote from: "TigerTrax"I use 1" UP and 1" back risers. This gives me many positions to make my adjustments.
   ( That's my preference ... you may not need that .. I am 6'5")
   Moving the bars closer help drop your shoulders by minimizing 'reach'.

Hey TigerTrax, where did you get these. I can only seem to find block risers at Tourtech and Twisted throttle and I think I need to get the bars back a bit too. Can you steer me in the right direction please.
Black 2002

jsingraham

I had these on my steamer when I had it....worked great for me since I am only 5'10" and have short arms.  They have a few different models and length's to choose from.  When I got mine, they had 1 pair of black anodized ones left  which matched perfectly on the steamer with all black headstock and bars etc.  

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/ ... cat_id=268

Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

HappyMan

I've got a Sargent on my Tiger as well as my DR650.  It's my third one.  They design them to fit you and your arse but they also take the seat and level it out so it's not putting undue pressure on your spine.  If it angles upward it can force you to arch your back which will put pressure on your spine.  By leveling the seat you can lean forward naturally and keep the weight off your tail bone.  I have chronic back problems as well as a tail bone injury.  Sargent has built my seats for all my road bikes and I don't have problems.  Without it I suffer even a ten mile trip.  (I do not have stock in their company but I am a very satisfied customer)
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

goosen2002

Black 2002

pit0rz

Do you send Sargent your seat and then they modify it?  I couldn't go without riding Luci for very long...  Maybe I'll grab a seat off ebay and send them that one...
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

HappyMan

Yes, I send my seat to Sargent.  With the Tiger I did it during a December or January which are months I don't get as much riding in on.  With my Beemer and with my DR I had extra seats and I sent them in.  Sometimes they have seat pans you can buy at Sargent but I doubt they have one for a Tiger.  Flea Bay may be the best route.  Bill at Sargent has done a fantastic job for me.  Seats cost me between $275 - $500 and they depend on what you need.  Bill can talk you through it.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

pit0rz

I'm assuming you just got the rider seat done and not the passenger?
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci