News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Paint lift on tank

Started by harre, June 30, 2006, 09:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harre

I am thinking about buying a red 98 tiger, but the problem is that the gas tank has small bubbles under the paint. Has anyone heard about this problem? It appears that the paint is loosening due to evaporating gasoline fumes that penetrates the plastic.

Is Triumph aware of this problem, and have they any system for tank replacement? If this is a commion fault this would seriously affect the  Triumph Tiger quality impression.

Can the tank be repainted, or lies the problem in the tank and not in a poor paintjob? What about stickers? Can these be bought?

Cheers

Given the age of the bike, anything could be causing the paint to lift. Could have had brake fluid dropped on it during at fluid change, for instance.

The tank on my '02 is made by Acerbis (who know what they're doing) and has no blemishes at all......so far. I'd guess the earlier tanks were also made by Acerbis and should be of equall quality.

mikeG15

Shortly after I fot my Tiger I dropped it and scored the tank where the stripes are. My dealer parts guy very apologetically said that the stripes were £14 EACH. Needless to say I did not buy. At the time I bought the bike I had asked whether I could have it without the stripes - but that was extra as well. Finally I found a vendor on ebat.uk doing the old Triumph logos which I prefer so at last I will have a plain silver Tiger. And yes by the way Tiger decal sets are available on e-bay for about £20 for a complete set.

tiger feet

I have found paint lifting in several places on the plastics of my '97 Tiger.

But after almost 9 years that's not to bad :?:

Most of it is in places where it doesn't show.

I have bought some second hand panels along the way and have found similar paint flaws there too, so I guess it must be quite common :?:

Generally I think the finish is very good and lasts well.

Regards,

Tiger Feet.
Four wheels good, two wheels better, three wheels accident!

apache

I have a red 97. Mine has bubbling  tiger decals and the paint has peeled in some other areas. I definatly wouldent reccomend using a pressure washer on it.

harre

Hi everybody, thanks for replying. :D

The paint lift question is still unanswered. The central issue is if the piant is beginning to deteoriate due to a bad paint job, or if the plastic tank is the real cause. It is fairly simple to re-paint, but if the plastic tank is causing the problem, re-painting it would be more or less meaningless. :(

I do not agree that one can be happy if the paint holds less than 8 years. In my opinion, a good paint should never bubble and peel off like this. I wish I had pictures of the tank, but I did not buy the bike (sadly, it is fine bike weather today). Maybe the best idea is to accept the flaws and buy a bagster cover instead! The thing is to ride a bike and not sit home and peel off paint...

I would like to know if the tank CAN be repainted so that the color stays on for at least 5-10 years. It would be nice to have a yellow tiger... 8)

I have emailed Acerbis about the gas tank - no answer yet (expected). I have also tried to find an email address to Triumph without luck. No email contact sounds lika a BAD idea for a worldwide company in 2006. :evil:

Cheers

Harald

Clemski

Hi,

I would say that the paints lifting because the tank has been re sprayed before and the new paint was not keyed in properly, thats normally the case :P
Just love riding my Tiger, anywhere and everywhere.

harre

I agree, it appears that the paint lift is a rare problem. So most likely the tank has been repainted. I talked to a Swedish firm, and they had not seen any of these paint problems. They could confirm though that a complete original sticker kit would be about 200 euros!

I actually got an answer from Acerbis about the tank!

Acerbis will not say that the paint lift is due to the plastic tank, they passed it on to Triumph...

"Before to evaluate if it's possible to repaint the tank it's necessary to

understand the problem.

I suggest to you to contact the nearest Triumph's dealer that has all the

info regarding that kind of problem.

Anyway Acerbis can not change the tank (if it's necessary) because you main contact is the dealer."

Anyway, my apologies to Acerbis :oops: . I actually got an answer within a few days. Well done.

I would like to hear from more Tiger owners if there really is a paint lift problem, or if I'm only paranoid.

:roll:

tyrebyter

There is much info on the Internet about painting plastics and plastic fuel tanks in specific. It is very specialized and not as simple as spraying metal. The surface prep is the key apparently and involves torches and other exotic tools of the trade. If you think it is a Triumph issue, talk to owners of plastic tanked GS's. On my own Tiger, I stripped the paint and applied a camo pattern with rattle cans. Seems to be holding up but who could tell.
\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple

MImo

I had Tigers from 93 to 98 , my last one.
Now im restoring it, and, of course, the tank is a big trouble...as you guys can see it.
Im trying to find a good data to copy the sticker, or even try to make then with the Corel Draw in order to save some money, cuz at JLilley the original sticker is £ 92,44..
I already bought a lot of engine parts to make it brand new, like tensioner- camchain,Cylinder head gasket, Seal, Oil, Valve Stem, etc...
So i want to save some money to do other jobs like replace the silencer ( pair)
BTW, i found a pretty cheap pair of Tigers silencer (oval- with removable baffle-stainless for £398- pair) at www.trident-exhausts.com, ask Peter Sorrell
P +44 (0) 7711 305894
So if anybody has the draw of this sticker tank (98) Lh and RH, help me pls

TigerTrax

Personally...
If it is bad.... PEEL OFF all you can.

DO NOT use a 'stripping agent' on plastic or resin tanks, use an
orbital, pnuematic sander and take the paint off. Then prime and build your sealer and paint.

The stripes have always been a bitch. Somebody makes them.....
I just don't know who.

But I'd give it a custom look... forget the stripes or make better ones.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

MImo

thank you !
Ill try that...
Ill post asap w pics !
Good rides !

tcbezza

I am not sure if this is strictly relevant but I have seen issues with pealing paint on one of my other bikes. OK so it's a old BSA A65, but I had the tank repainted when the bike was restored some ten years ago by a friend who is a professional painter. The finish was really good.

About 2 years ago I started to see the paint peeling from the tank starting from the fuel filler cap. The problem turned out to be that fuel had got under the tank where the fuel cap fits on and had started to lift the paint. I managed to reseal and stick the paint back down using a hypodermic and super glue.
What I have found out since is that what we call petrol in the UK has changed so much that it is now an evil mixture of chemicals that will destroy pain, especially older paint if it gets the slightest chance. This seems to be especially prevalent on older paints and I know quiet a few older or restored bikes where this is starting to happen.
It may be caused by a fuel spill externally if the paint was chipped.
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

harre

It's good to see that this thread is alive. This company used to sell Tiger stickers for the tank http://www.rsgraphics.co.uk/triumph.htm
Now they do not offer them anymore, perhaps Triumph did not want competition? If Triumph has copy protection on the Tiger logo, perhaps thay can make them just slightly different? However, the prices were really good and the logo looked exactly as original (offered in many different sizes). By the way, I actually bought the Tiger, and someday I will repaint my beauty, for now I am just happy riding.

GasDepot

I just got a yellow 2k with this problem  :(.
there are air bubbles under the strips in the right side
I think the sticker glue is the problem.
I pricked the bubble but it comes back :icon_scratch.
Next step is to inject some factory clear coat or some type of glue.
Any one have luck with on or the other or something else ?:idea:
Thanks.
James
2000 Tiger
1998 KLR
A cheep bastard with a large tank