News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tires pressures on and off road

Started by the cyclops, July 02, 2008, 01:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the cyclops

I have an 06 with the original Anakees on there (5000 miles and gettin a little thin).  I run the 42/36 for road and have never really tried anything else.  I have just started testing it on the dirt (just had it a month) after getting over the inital "no way in He** you can ride this in dirt" and was wondering about pressures.  I dropped them down to about 20 and they did pretty well.  Is this too low?  I don't want to break my sidewalls down or whatever.   I don't think I will be riding it really hard in the dirt, I still have a tagged XR650R for that.  I guess what I am getting at is "how low can you go".  Gravel and dirt roads, modest pace.
Growing older but not up

fano

I run mine about 22 front and 24 rear. Mine are tubed and spoked wheels though. If it is too rocky, you may want to go a little higher in the front.

oldrider

I have an 06 and I never change my tyre pressures from the 36/42lbs combination but I have no idea what people overseas consider to be "dirt"!  John.
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

the cyclops

Quote from: "oldrider"I have an 06 and I never change my tyre pressures from the 36/42lbs combination but I have no idea what people overseas consider to be "dirt"!  John.

We people overseas call dirt that stuff you ride on that makes it much more fun!  Soft and squishy :D , your bike wants to slip and slide all over the place!
Growing older but not up

HappyMan

On my 06 I run 25/27 when on gravel and dirt most of the day.  If I'm on the tarmac I run 38/40 but I'm rarely on the tarmac if I can avoid it.  I carry a 12V Slime pump with me to change out pressures when needed.  There is a noticeable difference when on gravel if I'm still running the higher pressure.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

JetdocX

I find airing down increases my enjoyment (control) on loosey roads.

I usually drop to 25 and 22, but that's just ballpark.  I also carry a slime pump to herd the air back into the tires once pavement rears it's ugly head. :wink:
From parts unknown.

Mudhen

I used to air up/air down when I was going to be riding a lot of dirt...then I got lazy and just left 25lbs in all the time (TKCs).  I've checked the pressure and it only goes up a couple pounds on the street...so I figure I'm ok.  I rarely do any twisties, though...just slab to/from work.

When I'm running my dirt wheels with D606s or MT21s on them I do still air up/down, though.  20lbs in the dirt and 30-35 for the street.  20lbs on the highway causes a huge jump in pressures on those - 8-10lbs worth.  :shock:
\'96 Steamer