News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sat nav

Started by dazco, July 25, 2008, 08:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazco

The Missus is thinking of buying a Sat Nav Techno thingy.
Now i like a good paper map, you can see everything relative to everything else and if you Know where north is i can usually find anywhere that i need to find.
Having said that, if she does get one id like to be able to wire it up to the bike.
So, which one do you good people sugest?
Ta , dazco
There is a fine line between genius and insanity, ive just crosed it.

pit0rz

My experiences with Sat Nav have all been with Garmin products.  Street Pilot III, 2720 and now the Zumo 550.  The 550 is designed for bikes and it shows.  Performance is excellent on the bike or in the truck.  It comes with mounts for both.  It's weather resistant (most are not).  A little pricey but I am completely satisfied with mine.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Stretch

I was slow to make the transition from paper to techno myself, but once I did, I've never regretted it.  

I love the GPS' 'You Are Here' feature, showing you exactly where you are in relation to towns and other roads.  A paper map in the tank bag's map pocket comes somewhat close... if you've been riding with one finger on the map, keeping track of every town and intersection as you go.

I haven't tossed my maps out, though.  They're still better for trip planning than scrolling through various map scales on the GPS screen.  Even in the middle of a trip, I like to lay the map out and look at the surrounding area from time to time.

My GPS is a Garmin GPSMap 76CSx.  It's a waterproof handheld that floats... right handy in the boat, canoe, kayak, Jeep, on foot, etc.  This one also has a compass and altimeter.

swamper650

I  like my Garmin 450, have used it quite a bit this year and it seems to get a signal where other units do not. The 450 does not have the bluetooth, xm, or travel alert capabilities that the 550 has. So if you do not need the bells and whistles it is a bit more affordable.
You don\'t quit riding because you get old...you get old when you quit riding

armadillo76

Quote from: "dazco"The Missus is thinking of buying a Sat Nav Techno thingy.
Now i like a good paper map, you can see everything relative to everything else and if you Know where north is i can usually find anywhere that i need to find.
Having said that, if she does get one id like to be able to wire it up to the bike.
So, which one do you good people sugest?
Ta , dazco

I have had a few, all Garmins. My current is the Streetpilot 2730 (like the 2720 but has the XM antennae). It is discontinued. Go to edgegps.com and they have factory refurbs at a wicked good price (I paid around $400 when I got a refurb and I got one for my Mom). Touch screen, good maps, good on a bike or in a car.
Good luck, AndyB, NH.

Chris Canning

I need a GPS to earn a living,times money,and the quicker i get somwhere the sooner i get home,i just can't relate to that on a bike when on my travels or on holiday,i'll stick to a map,it's nice to know i can still wipe my own arse when i have too!!! :wink:

But if you feel unable to peform without one,then Garmin,just don't depend on e'm to much,because they can really get you in the soft and smelly,perfect they ain't.

armadillo76

Quote from: "Chris Canning"I need a GPS to earn a living,times money,and the quicker i get somwhere the sooner i get home,i just can't relate to that on a bike when on my travels or on holiday,i'll stick to a map,it's nice to know i can still wipe my own arse when i have too!!! :wink:

But if you feel unable to peform without one,then Garmin,just don't depend on e'm to much,because they can really get you in the soft and smelly,perfect they ain't.

And you know a piece of technolgy that IS perfect? Hmmm, that I'd like to see!
I'll admit that Garmin (or most any GPS) has some quirks about routing and stuff. It is nice to know where you are at that moment or have a decent idea of the nearest gas station when in parts unfamiliar. It's a fun thing and good in an emergency but I never expect it (or me) to be perfect.
I'm curious, what do you use the GPS for to earn money? Trucking?
AndyB, NH.

John Stenhouse

The only problem I find with GPS is that when you use it you tend to turn your brain off and let the machine do the thinking and that ain't smart  :wink:
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

aeronca

i would kinf of agree with that a little bit. when i was flying alot i got a lorance air map and would use it in the champ.it was great till one day i was wingin along and it died and left me scrambling for a chart that i put in the back seat. then had to find my self on the map. not huge deal,but just the same i put to much trust in a machine. there's nothing like a good map and compas.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Chris Canning

Quote from: "armadillo76"
Quote from: "Chris Canning"I need a GPS to earn a living,times money,and the quicker i get somwhere the sooner i get home,i just can't relate to that on a bike when on my travels or on holiday,i'll stick to a map,it's nice to know i can still wipe my own arse when i have too!!! :wink:

And you know a piece of technolgy that IS perfect? Hmmm, that I'd like to see!
I'll admit that Garmin (or most any GPS) has some quirks about routing and stuff. It is nice to know where you are at that moment or have a decent idea of the nearest gas station when in parts unfamiliar. It's a fun thing and good in an emergency but I never expect it (or me) to be perfect.
I'm curious, what do you use the GPS for to earn money? Trucking?
AndyB, NH.

I move motorcycles all over the Uk,anymore than that is too much info!!!

DirtBiker

I've got 2 not one is a Zumo
If you can afford it get the zumootherwise a nuvi works ok at around 160 bucks

TigerTrax

I can affirm...... a GPS in an unfamilair, large city is worth it's weight in gold!

As a sales rep I can punch in addresses and make my calls without getting lost!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

blacktiger

I went "GPS" about 8 years ago but I still use proper maps to plan everything, then upload the routes onto the GPS. I find that I can enjoy the route and everything around me without having to worry about missing a turn. You just follow the pink line and know that you'll end up exactly where you planned. It'll even tell you when you're going to get there.
My current GPS (only had it for a couple of weeks) is the Zumo 550. Previous was a Street Pilot 3. Once you get the hang of everything it just becomes second nature to follow the routes.
The Zumo550 has just about everything you could possibly want in a GPS, including a compass, altimeter, fuel gauge and full trip computer. And, as has been mentioned before, you get mounts for bike and car in the box.
Recommended.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

dazco

I think ill be staying with the map for a while and just make sure the wife has her mobile on her just in case :roll:
The uk isnt realy that big a place to get seriously lost.
Thanks Daz 8)
There is a fine line between genius and insanity, ive just crosed it.

ChrisN

ZUMO ZUMO ZUMO  :shock:

GPS on a bike is superb for touring. I use a Zumo550. Just make sure you plan your routes on PC first and carry maps with you for reference. Set to shortest route and switch off auto-recalculate. Use your brain and don't totally rely on it and you can get on with enjoying the riding. Go where you want and navigate freestyle back to the planned route line whenever you like. Superb for finding fuel in unfamiliar territory. I could go on....
Chris