News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sat nav

Started by dazco, July 25, 2008, 08:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upthepalace

No mention of the Tom Tom Rider Version 2 on here which is surprising?  It really does have some excellent improvements over the Version 1, especially the mount.  I use mine in conjunction with the TYRE programme which you can download for free and Google mapping and I have enjoyed 2 fantastic trips this year to Scotland and Dorset/Devon/Cornwall.  Reliable, waterproof, well made too.
A wink from a pretty girl at a party rarely results in a climax, but a man would be a fool not to push a suggestion as far as it will go.

blacktiger

Quote from: "Upthepalace"No mention of the Tom Tom Rider Version 2 on here which is surprising?

Not really. They're a minority.

Can you confirm if they've made working routes on a PC easier? Originally it was a PIA so I'm told by a TT1 owner who gave up and bought a Zumo.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

HappyMan

Tom Tom is much more prevalent in Europe and U.K. than in the U.S.  Most everyone I know and visit there use them.

I use a Mapquest download to my Garmin that works fantastic as well.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

blacktiger

Quote from: "HappyMan"Tom Tom is much more prevalent in Europe and U.K. than in the U.S.  Most everyone I know and visit there use them.

Not round these parts. Garmin rules.

ChrisN

Quote from: "blacktiger"
Quote from: "HappyMan"Tom Tom is much more prevalent in Europe and U.K. than in the U.S.  Most everyone I know and visit there use them.

Ditto

but Tom Tom are no.1 for pizza delivery and white van man  :roll:
Chris

blacktiger

Quote from: "ChrisN"

Ditto

They're probably great for just getting from A to B whereas Garmins are easy to create a route on the PC and load up for your ride.

Chris Canning

Ditto

Yep I'm Tom Tom man.

abruzzi

I've always stayed with Garmin because the seem to be the only GPS manufacturer that is serious about mapping.  They have the US topo maps which are great around here, plus lots of others.  There also seems to be a third party market creating maps of other countries for the Garmin.

I do think Garmin's move to keyed map sets sucks.  For that reason I keep my 10 year old set of topo maps--they load on any modern garmin.

Geof

blacktiger

Quote from: "abruzzi"I do think Garmin's move to keyed map sets sucks.  For that reason I keep my 10 year old set of topo maps--they load on any modern garmin.

Geof

That's because the map makers are Navtec and they were bought by Nokia who then insisted that Garmin don't give free reign. I also believe it was Nokia who forced Garmin to refuse an unlock code free for a second GPS unit.

curt

Quote from: "abruzzi"I've always stayed with Garmin because the seem to be the only GPS manufacturer that is serious about mapping.  They have the US topo maps which are great around here, plus lots of others.  There also seems to be a third party market creating maps of other countries for the Garmin.
Geof

Talking about third party map makers..I found these guys for a recent trip south. It loaded on my 60csx fine and worked great the whole trip. If you dig around there is more out there.
http://www.gwprojects.org/gps/
A lot of it, is learning how to use it, which ever gps and software you use. For me, after 2 magellans and 2 garmins, I prefer garmin.
curt
So many roads, so little time

ChrisN

Quote from: "Chris Canning"

Ditto

Yep I'm Tom Tom man.

Aha! so when you're not touring on the Tiger you're delivering bulk pizza in a white van ?  :wink:
Chris

Chris Canning

No no,bulk motorcyles  :wink:

Stretch

Bulk motorcycles?  Gold Wings?

Chris Canning