News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lower Chain Slider

Started by JetdocX, July 25, 2008, 10:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

Well, my lower chain slider is now gone....at leat the rubber part is.   :evil:  No wonder the chain noise is excessive.  The metal part is still there, I think and the chain does rub on it.  No real wear to speak of and it's gone this way since sometime in NM in April, I'm guessing.  That's when I noticed the chain noise anyways.

Oh great wise Mustang with many Steamers, have you a cheap bastard fix for this $20 part from the jewelry store in Georgia? :wink:

Thanks!
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Nope you got to spend your money !
On the plus side they last for about 25k and a new one makes your chain adjustment happy happy . According to the Factory bible "you cannot adjust chain properly if the lower rubbing block is severely worn "

You would be wise to remove what's left , if you still want to ride or eventually the chain will rip the whole thing off the frame , mount and all and then you won't have anywhere to attach the new one . ask me how I know  :oops:

JetdocX

No, it's like totally gone, dude!

It's OK.  Fifteen minutes with some teflon, a drill, hack saw and a file and I have a new lower chain slider.  I hope it lasts the week until I get one from GA. :D

Going out to stress test it now..........

From parts unknown.

Mustang

:bowdown  :eusa_clap  :notworthy
that might just outlast a stock one .
another trick that works for the stock barely worn  one is to wrap two heavy duty black nylon zipties around it in the grooves worn by the chain .Then let the zip tys wear instead of the rubbing block .When they wear thru they will fall off and then put on some more zip tys thus extending the life of your chain block !
(This is a tip from michael b on the yahoo tiger msg board .)

Dr. Mordo

This got me wondering about my bike, and what do you know, mine's gone, too.

Where'd you get the teflon from JD?
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

Dr. Mordo, I had the teflon sitting in my tool box.  If you have a plastic supplier around it shouldn't be hard to find.  I think HDPE plastic would be better in this application, but the teflon seems to be doing fine. :D

Mustang, can you tell how much of the stock slider is missing from the photos?  BikeBandit's parts fishe is a little confusing.  I ordered the stock one, but I may keep it in reserve and see how the teflon one holds up on the ADV WMRS ride next weekend.

I can certainly get the plastic and I know a guy who could machine a bunch of better-looking examples of what I made if the interest is there. :wink:
From parts unknown.

BR

If I recall correctly, having replaced mine once, these are less than $10 from the Dealer.  However, it seems he OEM unit doesn't last that long and is in less than an ideal location. I've often wondered about a large block of Delrin or Nylon to put in there to be a fixed rubbing block for the chain.  Probably have the rubbing point further forward closer to the swing arm pivot...  this shouldn't be too hard to do.

Brendan
'98 BRG Tiger (running saweeeet!)

JetdocX

It's back to shifting smoothly and downshifting like butter!  The slider is in an OK location if the right material is used.  I'm wondering how long my 15 minute teflon silder is going to wear. 8)   Hell, the chain has been sliding on the steel bracket for a couple thousand miles at least.

I wonder what else is fooked up that I don't know about? :shock:
From parts unknown.

Stretch

A great source for high molecular weight polyethylene...

Plastic cutting boards from Wal-Mart... about six bucks for a couple square feet.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Dr. Mordo, I had the teflon sitting in my tool box.  If you have a plastic supplier around it shouldn't be hard to find.  I think HDPE plastic would be better in this application, but the teflon seems to be doing fine. :D

Mustang, can you tell how much of the stock slider is missing from the photos?  BikeBandit's parts fishe is a little confusing.  I ordered the stock one, but I may keep it in reserve and see how the teflon one holds up on the ADV WMRS ride next weekend.

I can certainly get the plastic and I know a guy who could machine a bunch of better-looking examples of what I made if the interest is there. :wink:
needs to be approx. 1/4" to 3/8ths taller towards the chain .

Dr. Mordo

Quote from: "Stretch"A great source for high molecular weight polyethylene...

Plastic cutting boards from Wal-Mart... about six bucks for a couple square feet.

Nice idea.  I may have to build one of these to see how it lasts.  This bike is definitely gonna qualify me for a lifetime membership in the CBOA.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Stretch

California Basketball Officials Association?

Dr. Mordo

Cheap Bastards Of America
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

BR

I've got one of these places here in San Jose....wide selection of plastics and everything related:

http://www.tapplastics.com/

BR

Stretch