News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I want a Tiger

Started by abruzzi, August 10, 2008, 08:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

Ok, so update.  I was semi-screwed by the shop that was going to fix my Tiger (03).  They never ordered the parts (even though I talked to the parts guy every week for the last two months--he always had an excuse like "backordered parts.")  I only find out now because the show was sold, and is being dissolved.

So I have my as-is bike, the parts money, and some panniers and crashbars I ordered myself.  Problem is, this was the only shop in town I trust to fix the bike.  But, I got an offer from the shops mechanic (he's not the one that screwed me, and I trust him.)  He has a 95 Tiger that he is willing to trade me for mine.  He just rebuilt the engine, but the bike has about 55k on it.  It's in good shape.  He offered to trade straight across--My broke Girly for his running steamer.  

I know my crashbars and panniers wouldn't fit it, but I could sell them.  Plus I would have the parts money.  So it would look something like:

I get: Steamer, $2100 (parts money I keep), HT panniers and, TB crash bars to sell.
He gets: Still broken Girly

Seems a resonable deal for both of us.  Should I do it?  What is the mileage / range on the Steamers?

Geof
(Oh, the steamer is red, and includes the triumph/Givi plastic panniers.)

Dr. Mordo

I missed it - what's wrong with your Girly?  If you are getting a good running Steamer from somebody you trust for $2100 you are doing pretty well I'd say.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

abruzzi

Head on collision with a ford F150.  Basically If I skip this deal, I get back my tricked out Girly, fixed up (after I find a shop I can trust), worth maybe $7k.  If I take this deal, I get a steamer worth maybe $3500, plus I get the $2k insurance/parts money, plus panniers and crash bars that I could sell for maybe $1k-$1.2k.  So financially it works out pretty close.  But there is a lot more hassle staying with my Girly, and probably another 2-3 months wait.  The steamer I could have tomorrow.

But will I love the steamer as much?

Geof

JetdocX

Fuel tank range is in the neighborhood of "you'd better be sitting at the gas station at 250 miles."  Reserve light comes on at 1.5 gallons and switch to reserve is required at about 1/2 gallon left.  You get two warnings with this bike. :lol:

Will you like it????  I would like mine if I didn't have to work on it so friggen much.  I guess I would characterize my relationship as love/hate.

Now a guy like Mustang....he's obviously got a few screws loose, IMO. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

Well, I haven't ridden a Girly, so I have no frame of reference in comparison to the Steamer.

But my Steamer, which is running fairly well right now, makes me smile every time I ride it, which is every day for the last two weeks, and several times before that.  Mine has req'd a lot of maintenance but I figure it is because the bike hasn't run in 3 years.  Now all it needs is a good carb fine tuning, a shock, and a chain.  It's a fairly nimble bike even with the bouncy rear end, and it has enough power to keep things interesting.  Just anticipate that parts are expensive and almost always have to be ordered from England so it takes two weeks to get 'em, but I suppose that is probly not much different from the Girly.  I'd look at the bike really hard to see what it needs.  I'd check for fork leaks, check the chain/sprogs, ask if he replaced the sprag.  Since it is older, if it needs a bunch of work I'd pass (unless A: for some reason you decide it is a great deal, or B: you can do the work yourself).

BTW, my bike has 74000 miles and hasn't been rebuilt.  The sprag went at about 73500 miles, which was two owners ago and also was the last time it ran.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

aeronca

geof, i know i havent had the the best luck with mine(95'), but really like like it. it's easy to work on, and pretty mild manered on the trail's.  it sounds like a good deal to me. you sound like a straight  shooter, so i wont bullshit you, you have a really nice bike now. if you fix it, you'll have a nice bike -  if you take the deal, you'll have a cool bike. hard to say which way to go. i like the steamer, and i think you will like it too. i have the givi luggage as well and really like it. you wont get the great gas milage as the injected  bikes, but will be able to burn just about any gas you want, plus i'll send you a high  front fender bracket for free. you have done a lot for us and i really appreciate it. if you take the deal, shoot me a pm.   eric :D
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

aeronca

wow, was i drunk last night  when i wrote that :D sorry about the 8th grade writting ability.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"Now a guy like Mustang....he's obviously got a few screws loose, IMO. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
My wife thinks I  got more than a few loose screws

seriously The STEAMER is the ORIGINAL NEW TIGER

it's the manly tiger , it's..............  well a triumph !

The engine sounds like a can of rocks when it's idling , the kids at the gas pumps will tell ya " Hey mister the diesel pumps over there " :ImaPoser
 Out west my gas mileage was a lot like Jetdocx , but back east she runs consistantly to 275 miles  before reserve and 35-40 left for reserve YMMV

flog it on the slab and you will be looking at 165 miles to reserve , cruz at 75 -80 and you will be hitting reserve at  200-210

It all depends on how you  :5moped it !
get a decent shock on the rear you can run with the big dogs on the sport bikes till they tire of you ! But here in new hampshire the roads are dual sport stuff (read potholes and frost heaves)so you can actually run away from most of the sport bike posers .

It's a fun bike , shit eating grin whenever you ride it . The motors are tuff but they aint bullet proof either

this one is a story for another time !

The bikes are anywhere from ten to thirteen years old , which is not an issue if they have been maintained .
Everything that will fail on them has already been dealt with if the bike still runs good . and what does fail on them is well documented so repairs are no big deal .
I have been riding and repairing them since the beginning . Still lovin the big ol dogs even more .

cascadetiger

I don't know anything about Girlies, I just don't care for the looks.

I have had my 98 Tiger for a little over a year and 4,000 miles.  It currently has 23,000 plus miles.  I did not know what a Tiger was when I bought it.  I thought it looked cool and I wanted something to do some light duty off roading in the mountains.  This is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned.  I have done 500 mile days and am not tired.  I have had sport bikes that are painful after 100 miles.

I ride mine on forest service roads all the time.  It does great, but i wouldn't get too carried away on single track trails that are challenging.  Its too tall and heavy for that.  I imagine the Girlies would be much the same.

Mine has been reliable so far (touch wood).  I had to get new sprockets and chain, and a new rear tire, but this is normal maintenance.  This fall I need to change steering head bearings.  It is feeling very funky in the front end.  It doesnt burn a drop of oil.  I get to 165 miles and the fuel light starts to flicker.  I fill at 200 miles as I don't go let it to reserve.  Its a 10 year old bike and I don't know what kind of junk is in the depths of the tank.  The mileage works out to 40 mpg.  I tend to drive it very fast, it could probably do better.

A steamer is unique on the road, you just don't see them much if ever.  I get a lot of positive comments from my friends, which is reinforcing on the choice of your ride.  The GS guys with their aluminium panniers all look same, but this bike stands out.  I kind of like the diesel rattle sound, at first it was scary but now I realize thats the way it is suppose to sound.

Still, miles are miles.  Cost of upkeep on this bike are high compared to others.  55,000 miles are a lot of miles on any bike and it will cost you to keep it on the road.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Mustang

Quote from: "cascadetiger"Still, miles are miles.  Cost of upkeep on this bike are high compared to others.  55,000 miles are a lot of miles on any bike and it will cost you to keep it on the road.

Let us know what you end up doing.

I,ve got 55 k on my 98 and it runs as good as the day it was born . Well actually it runs better  :shock:
I bought it New leftover in May 99 and have always kept it in top shape and did a 8000 mile USA tour this past spring , It is reliable enough that it would be able to handle the trip again right now .
Like I said once you get the known failures out of the way you are good to go .
Just do it Geof , you know they are the best looking bad ass tiger ! Too bad it's not black cause everyone knows they were the fast ones  :D  :lol:

TigerTrax

Looks like Mustang Salley has hit the Heinies again!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Mustang

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Looks like Mustang Salley has hit the Heinies again!
:new_all_coholic  :occasion14  :party

abruzzi

It is done.

1996, Red (Chili red I believe. ) 54k, miles.  At 50k the owner (who is also the mechanic that maintains all my other triumphs when I'm too busy) rebuilt the head/valves, and replaced the timing chain.  Aside from the sound at 1k-2.5k, it runs great.  The seat needs reupholstering and it has an even worse condition Corbin seat.

I'm now the third owner, and the bike still has all the promo literature, including a goofy photo of a guy camping with a Red Steamer, and a corny waxed handlebar mustache.

So far so good.

Geof

abruzzi

oh, anyone know where you can get progressive front springs for this bike?

Geof

Stretch

Note to self... don't let Abruzzi see my mustache.