News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

synthetic oil

Started by aeronca, September 03, 2008, 08:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeronca

ok guy's and gal's - the guy i bought my bike from said he ran 10w40 mobile 1. since then i also have used 10w40 mobile 1 synthetic "motorcycle oil". do any of you use this, or do some of you use regular mobile 1 and not the one labeled, "motorcycle"? is there really a big differance between the two? i understand that it's not just engine oil, and that it also is used in tranny, but my old reliable 82' honda civic used regular engine oil in its trany. the only diff- i can see is about $4.00 a quart. please school me on this.     thanks,       eric.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

littlefield

Supposedly the Mobil 1 motorcycle specific oil is 100% Group 4 base stock, oil truly created synthetically. The car stuff is a mix of Group 3 and 4.  If you want to get deep into lubricants go to bobistheoilguy dot com. They have a motorcycle section.

JetdocX

Any motorcycle specific oil is fine to use.
From parts unknown.

John Stenhouse

The generally given reason, and I am unsure how real this is, car oil contains friction modifiers which don't agree with the wet clutch on motorcycles. They cause the clutch to slip. Now that I know is true but I used Duckhams semi synth on my 885 and rang their tech line. They're response was it should be ok, but it wasn't tested on motorcycles and don't abuse the clutch and it should be fine.

The bit I'm unsure about is how much use is too much when it comes to clutch damage.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

Wal-Mart 20 bucks . works

fano

Quote from: "Mustang"

:thumbsup

aeronca

thanks for the info guy's. i'll have to get some of that rotella - i like the price. mobile 1 is draining my life blood.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Stretch

Same here.

2004Tiger

Rotella T for me. Synthetic, but it is really a highly refined dino oil. The diesel additive package makes it good for a wet clutch. I use it in all my vehicles, Volvo, Dodge Cummins, and MC. The viscosity range is perfect for Colorado.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

NebraskaRat

I know quite a few of you guys are using the Rotella T out there, are there no concerns with the 5w on the cold end of the scale giving enough lubrication on cold morning startups? (20° F it's Nebraska)  I may switch to this stuff also.

Mike

2004Tiger

Quote from: "NebraskaRat"I know quite a few of you guys are using the Rotella T out there, are there no concerns with the 5w on the cold end of the scale giving enough lubrication on cold morning startups? (20° F it's Nebraska)  I may switch to this stuff also. Mike
During a very cold start-up, the 5w viscosity is what the engine needs to pump a good volume of oil immediately. You may be thinking that a thick oil drains down overnight less than a thin oil, but that is not true. The film strength of the oil determines drain down, and a diesel rated oil has excellent film strength. This is a high quality oil in all respects.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

aeronca

2004Tiger - hows the weather out there? i was just out there last month - went to heritge square and rode the alpine slide. next time i come out we'll have to have a brew.    eric.    oh and thanks for the good info on the oil.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

2004Tiger

Quote from: "aeronca"2004Tiger - hows the weather out there? i was just out there last month - went to heritge square and rode the alpine slide. next time i come out we'll have to have a brew.    eric.    oh and thanks for the good info on the oil.
Next time, PM me and for sure we'll get together. I suppose you had hot weather here last month, it has been hot a lot. Now the August monsoon has produced some rain and this week we've cooled down to 70-75F, daytime. Down to 50 at night. Nice. Probably warm up a bit before the Fall.

aeronca

is rotella t a motorcycle oil specific oil,or will it matter? i've found a local source but am still wondering. also when switching brands of synthetic, do you need to do a flush? only asking because the few times we switched oils at work on the planes it required a flush run. thanks    eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

fano

All I did is drained the old oil out, put the new filter in and filled with a new oil. Works great. I think the oil is designed specifically  for diesel engines but works great in motorcycles. :D