News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

synthetic oil

Started by aeronca, September 03, 2008, 08:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeronca

thanks brother fano, i'll give it a shot this week. :D
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

paulie

Hey Aeronca, I'm a recent convert to the diesel concoction of the Rotella T, and I started a thread somewhere around here that expressed my reservations about using it... I had an opportunity to snag a couple free cases of the stuff, but I wanted to see if it was going to be OK for the Tigger.. Got a few "go for its" so I did.. I've done a couple oil changes since then, and I can report no problems thus far!  :thumbsup
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

aeronca

thanks for the insight brother. good feed back. :D
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

JetdocX

This is all opinion unless anyone has had an oil assay done to determine if the oil is doing what it's supposed to do.  Just sayin'.  It's the internet and all. :roll:

Aeronca, the reason a flush is because different brands of turbine oils may have incompatible chemicals/compounds which, if mixed could possibly damage rotating air seals.  Not good on a multi-million dollar engine.  Your Tiger engine does not use oil in this way.
From parts unknown.

aeronca

your right, it also doesnt have ceramic seals or use air bearings between turbine and the bearing serface like in the air cycle machine on the a/c packs - with that said though, my concern was more so with the trany and clutch. i dont want a clutch failure because of the oil properties of two different oils intermixing and breaking down one another. i hear what your saying brother jetdocx, but im just playing it safe because your right - this is the internet. now - where's those pics from your drunken night of debachery and football? :D
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

TigerTrax

Rotella works fine in Nebraska!

Some riders say Mobil 1 - 4XT  helps Tiger shift easier.

Mobil folks talk about 'shear' and oil break-down ????
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

JetdocX

This is going to turn into the typical oil thread where everyone knows it all, never had a problem, and you should use the same oil as me because it's the best, lasts the longest, grows hair on bald heads and makes my sticker peck up. :P
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX", grows hair on bald heads and makes my sticker peck up. :P

You need to run this in that Steamer  :ImaPoser

JetdocX

This is more bester in the Steamer:

From parts unknown.

Mustang

What a prominent Butcher of Cottagegrove , Oregon says :
That just cracks me up ....

John Stenhouse

So I need pure Rattlesanke oil then cos I'm deaf? Do Tiggers run welll on that?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

TigerTrax

A friend of mine ... who has ridden much of the world ... used to own a multi-brand dealership, including BMW,...... buys the least expensive oil he can, mixes and uses EVERY DROP regardless of brand and weight ...
and puts it in his motorcycles and automobiles when he changes oil.

As far as he is concerned.... it's a lubricant.... and they are all the same.

Go figure!

BTW:The Amsoil seems to do well in Tigger. But it has now reached $9 qt.
Guess I'll go fight the fat wimmin at WalMart and get Rotella Sync again.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

aeronca

thank god that the local SCHUCKS (auto part store) has it so i dont have to go to wal-mart. thanks for all the input in this thread - you guy's are the best.      eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

skoron

I am going to raise the topic back to the top since Rotella T is not getting any response in the other thread.

The new Rotella T is a CJ spec oil, not the old CI plus 4 (as in the picture).  New bottle shape is a clue.

I have been told that the new CJ spec oil contains friction modifiers to help improve the viscosity and aid fuel economy in the trucks.  Bad thing it may also affect a wet clutch.

Can anyone confirm if the new Shell Rotella T CJ spec is going to be ok or did it become a taboo oil like other car based fluids?

Thanks, Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

fano

There is one way to find out. Like I said in the other post, It does work in my dirt bike so I don't see a reason it won't work in the Tiger.