News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1996 Tiger, questions about buying

Started by Atomicmongoose, September 08, 2008, 04:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atomicmongoose

Hello all

I'm looking into my purchasing my first bike.  While browsing around the local used bike lists I ran across a 1996 Tiger with 24K miles.  I've requested some more information, maint record, vin number, if and how often the bike has been dropped, how many of the above miles were offroad...  

What are some of the things I should be looking at in particular on this bike?

As far as I can tell the blue book value is around $2000, US, but the seller is asking considerably more than that.  

What dollar amount seems right for a bike of this age and milage assuming its been serviced correctly

Thanks for any input and advice.

abruzzi

$3k is reasonable with that mileage assuming good condition.  Maybe a touch more if it has the luggage.  Others can probably give a better idea the things to look for, I just got mine a couple weeks ago.

Geof

Atomicmongoose

Gotcha, I hope to get an up close look at the bike in the next few days.  

My primary intent is to use it as a go to work commuter, which might be sacralidge.  At the very least its a question I should ask to you those in the know.    For a daily jaunt of 15 miles in 4 lane traffic with stop lights now and then, is this bike a reasonable fit for that sort of duty?  

Or should I look for something a bit newer but in the "same-ish" price range, like a less sexy and less appealing V-strom or something?

Dr. Mordo

That last post should probly be sticky-ed to the top.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Stretch

I think so too.  Trouble is, by snipping his post to paste in the Sticky, it disappears from here.  So here's a link to Mustang's response and the subsequent Steamer Wisdom thread...  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4997