News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 955i vs KTM LC8 - Tiger or not

Started by Kitty, April 30, 2004, 07:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty

Triumph Tiger 955i compared to KTM LC8 Adventure

Reasons to buy a Tiger (or not)

Hello there,

I would like to tell you about my trial trip experiences in April last year (I apologize for the grammatical and other errors in my translation), when I had to find out if the Triumph Tiger would be a suitable bike for me. The decision Ò Tiger or not Ò wasnÌt so easy for me.

It was a fact that I needed a new bike, because I didnÌt believe my old BMW R 100 GS, after 9 years with intensive use, could stand long distance tours anymore. Not so easy for me to find a substitute for my beloved GS (Japanese bikes I donÌt like, Italian bikes Ò very nice, but IÌm not sure of it, and BMW I never would buy anymore). For years I collected the testing-reports of the Triumph Tiger, because if I had to buy a new bike I thought it should be the Tiger. So I had to consult a Triumph-Dealer to get a Pussycat for 2 hours of testing.

First I got a little bit nervous because of my first contact with such a heavyweight and powerful bike. But after starting the engine everything fits. Used to the 60 horsepowers of my GS the 100 horses of the Tiger are phenomenal, of course. What a potential to overtake. Power in every gear. No disturbing motor vibrations. The triple - a dream! Turning round with this big fat bike, so easy!

I liked the Tiger from the start. Driving with the Tiger was so easy, but something I missed.

I remembered the brand new KTM. For such a big but lightweight bike with 2 cylinders I have waited a long time, oh yes! I HAD to test it. Still while (!) the Tiger trial trip I called a KTM dealer.

That wasnÌt planned. It should have been a Tiger yet! Suddenly, the KTM came between.

The next day she stood in front of me, the KTM LC8 Adventure. Huge, aggressive, I was very impressed. Could I reach the ground with my feet..? Yes, no problem. Then the first drive, oh, what the hell÷ to come to harmony with this lousy beast lasts a moment or two. But then, there is a big grin in my face. The LC8 is a lightweight as promised. So easy manageable in bends. Much more handy than the fat Cat with its high main point, especially in fast, narrow bends. This is an important point for a curve junkie like me. And I like the sound. Good vibrations. No thoughts of boredom anymore. Always something to do for me. Often changing gears, permanent playing with r. p. m. and speed. This beastly monster, it wants to amuse you, but it wants to be entertained by its rider, too. The engine seems to be alive. Yes! This is what I missed at the Tiger. It is for sure, a Tiger I donÌt want to have by no means. This brute of Adventure must be mine!

The following days I had to come to a decision, but it was very hard. My heart demanded on the KTM, but my mind said Tiger. After all, I knew how I have to decide. The purpose of use is what I have to take notice of. A comfortable seat, much capacity of loading, high reliability÷ All this is much more important on long distance tours than easy curve driving and character. When I remember the fine triple of the Tiger: Its sovereignty, that brings calmness AND superiority, and I have not been really slow with the Tiger. You donÌt FEEL the acceleration and speed as intensive as with the KTM, thatÌs all. It does not mean that you are less fast on tour with the Triumph. British understatement, so to speak.

And why spending much more money for a best quality chassis with White Power-elements which I donÌt need because I donÌt go off road. Moreover, KTM do not offer as good finance possibilities as Triumph. And, for the Adventure there is only one type of tire allowed. KTM servicing intervals are shorter. At last, testing magazines reported from some defects at the tested bikes.  

So I got the Tiger, and now, after one year and 25.000 kilometers with many long rides on European streets without any defects (okay, one rear light bulb÷) I donÌt regret my decision, although I still look yearning to every LC8 ÷

trotts

:roll:   An easy way out for you !!  Buy a KTM as well  :D

I was at my Triumph dealers today, and I seem to have owned every Trailee on the market over the years, bar a V storm and a KTM.  The look of the KTM and the seat !!  To me seems like a sitting on a razor blade !!

Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder !!
Dave T

Good choice Kitty. I look forward to meeting you at some of the excellent RAT raids that are put on around europe.

MikeB

Thanks for your excellent report Kitty, well written and full of the feeling you have for both bikes - that I like. I can compare the technical specifications anywhere, how the bike feels is more interesting. A few of my friends here have bought the KTM, they tend to do off-road touring a lot too - me, I would probably not reach the ground! My bike has to take me at least 800km stretches a day on tour, without discomfort and with luggage, at the same time have good handling and fun factor for the mountains around here - I think the Tiger is more suitable for me.

I am in the south west, neer the Swiss border - see you around the Black Forest some time :)

Mike (the first and so far only "2005" Tiger in town)
------------------------------------------------

2005 Tiger - silver

1997 T\'Bird- black