News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Triumph USA is starting to get on my nerves

Started by Cos, September 10, 2008, 06:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cos

All i need is a freakin certificate that my bike is compliant with EU emmissions. Three freakin weeks since my first call to these people and i'm still waiting to see if that's the case or not. I'm moving in 6 weeks and i'd rather take my bike with me than not, but if they keep procrastinating i'm gonna say "fuck it" and pick up a GS.  :BangHead

HockleyBoy

Have you tried contacting Triumph in the UK directly, they may be a bit more responsive if you are lucky.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

TigerTrax

HAve your dealer contact the area Triumph rep and tell him to get on the stick.

He may not have the answer but he can certainly find out in 24 hours using a VIN number.

Triumph has pretty much left the 'old guard Tiger riders' ....
I too have been peering at the GS.

WHen a Triumph dealer starts getting too big for hios britches.....
it's time to actually go where the britches are bigger!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Cos

That's the thing...it's not my dealer.

I called Triumph USA, gave them the VIN, and still nothing. I'll call em again tomorrow and see if this Peter guy got something.

I'm all ready to order Trax panniers and stuff, but there's no point if i can't take it with me. I hate being on hold.

HockleyBoy

IMPORTING YOUR BIKE

If you wish to import your motorcycle into a country where it is not originally from, you may need to make some modifications to your motorcycle. Triumph Motorcycles are unable to advise the modifications required to each model.  Please contact your local vehicle registration authority to obtain the required information. Please refer to the links below for more information.

In most cases, to import your motorcycle you will need a Letter of Manufacture or a Certificate of Conformity (COC). To request either of these, please send a letter stating your full name, address and the model and colour of your motorcycle along with a copy of your registration document and your driving license to:

Export Sales Department
Triumph Motorcycles Ltd
Normandy Way
Hinckley
Leicestershire
LE10 3BZ

* Please note that if the last six digits of your VIN number is lower than 098000 or built prior to 01/01/2000, then we will not be able to provide a COC. Before this time no EC approval numbers are valid, therefore COC's cannot be printed.  

Importing a motorcycle into the UK

There are two options for importing a motorcycle into the UK:

1) If the motorcycle is covered by a Certificate of Conformity (COC), then the standard registration procedure can be followed.

2) If the motorcycle is not a European specification or a COC cannot be printed, then the Single Vehicle Approval system process must be followed. Triumph must provide a Letter of Manufacture and modifications must be made to the motorcycle to change it over to a UK specification.

Both processes are explained on the VOSA website: http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d ... 06874.hcsp  

I am guessing this is what you need
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Cos

Cos

I just heard from Triumph USA.

Apparently, the bikes are different enough that they can't issue me a COC.

Anybody want to buy a Tiger?  :BangHead

HockleyBoy

It may still be worth contatcing Triumph UK, sometimes you get different answers from different people and they may have gone through te process before.

If this is the case though, do you actually need to import the bike and go through the registration process? Could you not ride it as a visitor with US plates, I don't know the regulations but I guess it depends on the length of stay.

Easy Tiger

Hey Cos,

Where in Europe are you going? I'm heading the The Netherlands in Jan for 3-7 years and my Tiger will be staying here.
2002 Triumph Tiger 955i

Cos

Quote from: "HockleyBoy"It may still be worth contatcing Triumph UK, sometimes you get different answers from different people and they may have gone through te process before.

If this is the case though, do you actually need to import the bike and go through the registration process? Could you not ride it as a visitor with US plates, I don't know the regulations but I guess it depends on the length of stay.

I'm going to Cyprus, which is home, and i'm going to be there for a few years. If it take the bike as a visitor, it'll be impossible to sell if i decide to sell later because it won't be registrable.

Who knew that a European bike would not be EU compatible? I don't know if i should laugh, cry, or punch something.

JetdocX

Take it anyways.  You can always do a good-ole boy under the table sale...

Or just don't sell it. 8)
From parts unknown.

Cos

Quote from: "JetdocX"Take it anyways.  You can always do a good-ole boy under the table sale...

Or just don't sell it. 8)

I can't just take it and ride it around without registering it.

cwdrifter

COS, what year is your bike?  I have a 2006 and am looking at moving to England.  I am with you in "HUH?" a US bike is "less safe" or whatever than a EURO bike?  I think not.  Heck, My CA model probably pollutes less than anything in Europe.
I wonder if the EU is just trying to exclude "vehicles' so they get a new sale from all immigrants.  Would be unheard of protectionism.  Look at "grey market" cars in US...we do the same.

any thoughts from UK brothers on this?
85 Suzuki SP 600
IBA # 21941

Cos

Mine's an 05, CA model i believe.

I haven't given up yet. I called Triumph Greece and they said they'd look into it. I'll also give Triumph UK a shot.

If that doesn't work...fuck it. I can get a COC from BMW. I'll pucker up and get a GS.

cwdrifter

REMEMBER, just buy some really stout off road boots with that GS.
Many a broken ankle with those jugs sticking out there. (Know one guy personally that snapped it on the Mojave Trail).  
Repeat, Do not flat track GS Do not flat track GS (i.e leg out sliding).
85 Suzuki SP 600
IBA # 21941