News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain and Sprocket Job

Started by Mustang, September 14, 2008, 03:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Quote from: "CrazyTed"Man, it's so simple it's perfect....

Be the first mod I make to your bike when I get it home.
\'96 Steamer

Mustang

Quote from: "Mudhen"Be the first mod I make to your bike when I get it home.

FOR REAL ?
It would make me Happy to see I' m  not the only CRAZY FF around here !

CrazyTed

Quote from: "Mudhen"
Quote from: "CrazyTed"Man, it's so simple it's perfect....

Be the first mod I make to your bike when I get it home.

You supply the money and it's all yours!!!  I'll be at D and D Imports/Triumph tomorrow doing the paperwork on the Rocket!!!
CrazyTed
Va Beach, VA
97 Tiger 885 Chili Pepper Red
06 KTM 450 EXC

Mudhen

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "Mudhen"Be the first mod I make to your bike when I get it home.

FOR REAL ?
It would make me Happy to see I' m  not the only CRAZY FF around here !

Even if I were to buy it, that would only be 2...you'd still be the craziest FF around here!!!

If I win powerball before it sells, it's mine.  Absolutely no question.
\'96 Steamer

Bandit33

I now have a new 19 tooth sprocket to put on, so will be switching it out soon.  In planning this project, do I need any new gaskets or o-rings or anything else while putting the covers back on?  Just want to make sure I have everything I need before I dig into it.

Thanks in advance

Don
95 Tiger

Mustang

Quote from: "Bandit33"I now have a new 19 tooth sprocket to put on, so will be switching it out soon.  In planning this project, do I need any new gaskets or o-rings or anything else while putting the covers back on?  Just want to make sure I have everything I need before I dig into it.

Thanks in advance

Don
a new paper gasket for the cover and now would also be a good time to replace the seal on the shifter shaft as well as the seal for the clutch pushrod

harre

Inspired by Patrick I did a sprocket cover split. Here are some picts for the bold and the brave. After cutting the cover, I continued and cut loose the oil funnel. After some grinding of the edges, I used model clay to fill the oil funnel and the recess in the new oil plug (see image). Then I filled the remaining volume with chemical metal (plastic padding) and put back the oil plug covered with a thin layer of vaseline. When the chemical metal had hardened I unscrewed the oil plug, and voilá, new threads. I have used the new cover for 5000 km, without any problems whatsoever. I finished the modification by changing the original gear linkage into a steel lever (originally for a YZ80, 93-). The lever was cut and rewelded to fit in the narrow groove of the shifter shaft.
Now I do not have to remove the side stand (and oil) to change the sprocket and chain. Shifting is more direct now as well.

Sin_Tiger

:hello2  :notworthy Excellent job & post Harre, thank you it's inspirational (read = experience is the thing you get just after you needed it unless you steal somebody elses)

Send me the remaining alloy fillings and and I will mix them with some pastic metal and cast a T3 bravery medal  :icon_salut  :occasion14

Can I vote that post gets copied into the How To's it's so good.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

aeronca

great job, looks good 8)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

harre

As Obama said today, I don't deserve it. Credits to Patrick and others who paved the way. The mod is actually not so difficult, it just takes some nerve. Try it you'll like it.

Colonel Nikolai

This was back in October or so. How are those threads holding up now? How do you measure the oil? Thanks for posting this!!!
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Colonel Nikolai

I've been thinking about this:

http://tinyurl.com/yczgzb2

You can de-risk this project by buying another sprocket cover and moding that. This way you'll always have the original to fall back on.

Mudhen

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"I've been thinking about this:

http://tinyurl.com/yczgzb2

You can de-risk this project by buying another sprocket cover and moding that. This way you'll always have the original to fall back on.

Good thinking man.  And having a spare in case your chain ever gets a little loose and takes the thing out is good, too...

I wish splitting the cover apart would eliminate that situation.  I wonder if some sort of shim could be slid in there to prevent the two from ever touching.  My good friend Justin Case would like that very much.
\'96 Steamer

Colonel Nikolai

From the photos it kinda looks like the two aren't touching now?

Mudhen

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"From the photos it kinda looks like the two aren't touching now?

By 'the two' I meant the chain and the clutch pushrod housing.  It's so tight that if the chain gets loose it takes that out...and out goes your engine oil...
\'96 Steamer