News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain and Sprocket Job

Started by Mustang, September 14, 2008, 03:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

I think I see what you mean: you mean the part of the new sprocket cover that has a hole in it that ostensibly houses the shaft that the sprocket is mounted to? If so then I guess this mod is only going to help those who like to change sprockets without dealing with the engine oil. And if you put a small hole in the new sprocket cover over the sprocket teeth it also adds to being able to inspect the front sprocket without removing the cover, which is nice.

On a related note, I'm not sure how you would solve the problem you describe, though, except to not have it pass through the sprocket cover at all and have the sprocket cover be just that: a cover for the front sprocket. Haaay, wait a sec. That makes a lot of sense!!
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Colonel Nikolai

Wait: I get it now. This thing is nuts: you're talking about the clutch hydraulics. It never occurred to me there are three things going on with this cover, not two. I thought it was just the oil and the output shaft and sprockets, not the clutch hydraulics too! Ewww! Who designed this thing?

harre

QuoteThis was back in October or so. How are those threads holding up now? How do you measure the oil? Thanks for posting this!!!
My Steamer is hibernating right now, but the threads were OK after approx. 4000 km. If the threads will not hold, there is always the possibility to close the hole with a rubber plug. Before I started the surgery I also was a bit reluctant to cut the sprag cover. However, this was my only option since there is not enough space between the clutch hydraulics and the sprocket to allow for a simple opening just above the sprocket, which I would have preferred. The clutch hydraulics are now stressing the upper part of the sprag cover and may force it to bend slightly when operating the clutch, the effect must be very small though, since the cover looks as stiff as before the cut. The engineers behind the sprag cover should not be proud of themselves, but perhaps the engine was designed with a too small distance between the clutch pushrod and drive shaft to allow for a better design.
I made a small mark on the outside of the oil cover for the oil level maximum (seen on cvr12 and cvr14 pictures). When I check the oil I use a bolt that I have grinded flat on both sides and check the level by holding it level on the outside after measuring on the inside.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"You can de-risk this project by buying another sprocket cover and moding that. This way you'll always have the original to fall back on.

I can't believe I am actually ahead of the game for a change  :roll:

I managed to score one from Nik's Euro Bits when I was buying some other stuff. I plan to have it machined at my local engineering shop, a friend who is also an ex biker (bad knees), no disrespect to Harre who has done an excellent job with what he had avialable and has been my inspiration.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Colonel Nikolai

I think I'm going to do this mod, too, if for no other reason I want to be able to replace the sprocket when it's worn myself without so much hassle and $$. I was thinking of doing the K&N pod-style filter myself for the same reason, but I hear it's a bad idea from too many people on this forum so I won't.

fishnbiker

Check out the previous thread to see my version of the same conversion ...
"Pure Dual Sport". Thanks to Mudhen for this idea, I just ran with it
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

fishnbiker

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"I think I'm going to do this mod, too, if for no other reason I want to be able to replace the sprocket when it's worn myself without so much hassle and $$. I was thinking of doing the K&N pod-style filter myself for the same reason, but I hear it's a bad idea from too many people on this forum so I won't.

My concerns about the filter were dealt with by reworking a K&N off a Porsche Boxer to fit the Tiger. This of course changed the airflow, from passing through 49 sq inches of filter, to 55 sq in. This meant that I had to re-tune up to size 130 main jets. Dyno's at 101 Hp now. Over 50,000 km since the mod. I can remove & replace the filter without touching anything else, in about 5 minutes.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Bob Tosi

That K&N set up is way cool!
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"