News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Average Speed VS Actual Speed

Started by DobroDog, July 30, 2008, 03:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DobroDog

I am planning an AK trip for next summer with 2-6 riders in the group. As I plan the daily distances I have been assuming 12% of the travel time will be spent off the bikes (Stops for Gas, Comfort, Food and Pictures). In a 12 hour day about 1.5 hours will be spent off the bikes.

Is this a reasonable assumption or do I need to assume more time for stops?

DobroDog
DobroDog

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "DobroDog"I am planning an AK trip for next summer with 2-6 riders in the group. As I plan the daily distances I have been assuming 12% of the travel time will be spent off the bikes (Stops for Gas, Comfort, Food and Pictures). In a 12 hour day about 1.5 hours will be spent off the bikes.

Is this a reasonable assumption or do I need to assume more time for stops?

DobroDog
Depends on what you want to see/do. Keep in mind that summer is more or less perpetually daylight so you can do longer days in the saddle if you want, although camping/hotel might be full later in the afternoon. If your goal is to do riding I think you are on the mark. If you want to stop and smell the roses you'll need more time. I recommend spending an afternoon at Liard hot springs (my favorite stop on the way in/out). I used to live near Homer so I'm partial to spending a day on Cook Inlet fishin' for Halibut and you can't pass up the Salmon if they are running. Of course there's all the usual nature/tourist stuff and some folks think the haul road is mandatory. I think riding the ferry is a nice way to relax and see the inside passage (I've done that three times and loved each journey for different reasons). My wife and I and rode from Duluth to Alaska, hit all the paved roads (she learned to ride that spring), and rode the ferry to Vancouver Island where we spent another week exploring the rainforest. It was about 2 months and 10,000 miles total. Have fun.

Get a MILEPOST and suss out what you and your group want to see/do.
Bruin\'

cbxtc6

I just returned from a 30 day trip from IL to AK and back.  I did 8, 12, and 14hr days.  It all depends on lots of variables.  Mine was mostly weather related.  With more riders in your group, you'll no doubt do less miles per day.  I think my average was ~ 450 miles per day.  Breakfast, lunch, gas, and 'tourist' stops all add up quickly.  

Total mileage was 11,000 miles.  

Tiger ran great!

sanjoh

I just returned from a 17day trip on the Trans Am Trail. The trip included another rider on a GS.

A couple of thoughts:

You can only go as fast as the slowest rider in the group.

Don't make this your first long ride as group.

Riding styles should be compatible.

Don't push, the adventure is in the ride, and the chit that comes up along the way.

Take plenty of pics for Us unfortunate twits tied to a desk.
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

DobroDog

Thanks for the advice...voices of experiance are worth listenting to  :notworthy

DobroDog
DobroDog

blacktiger

If it helps at all, I've just done a ride through the Colorado Rockies into Utah on F650GS BMWs where 50% was dirt roads and we managed, over the 10 days, an average of 280 miles a day.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Stretch

blacktiger

Quote from: "Stretch"Gonna post pics?

Who? Me?

fano

Quote from: "blacktiger"If it helps at all, I've just done a ride through the Colorado Rockies into Utah on F650GS BMWs where 50% was dirt roads and we managed, over the 10 days, an average of 280 miles a day.

So did you do the White rim trail? Let's see some RR.   :new_popcornsmiley

DobroDog

Quote from: "blacktiger"If it helps at all, I've just done a ride through the Colorado Rockies into Utah on F650GS BMWs where 50% was dirt roads and we managed, over the 10 days, an average of 280 miles a day.

Thanks, with the input I have received I have cut back my mileage expectations to the 200-300 mile per day range
DobroDog

blacktiger

Quote from: "fano"

So did you do the White rim trail? Let's see some RR.   :new_popcornsmiley

Oh yes! It was tough on a 650GS. Especially the climb out of Mineral Bottom. And, no, we didn't ride across Mussleman Arch.

fano

Nice, it brings back the memories.