News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

V-Strom vs Tiger

Started by Bamaboy, September 24, 2008, 06:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bamaboy

I know it is going to be hard to get some unbiased opinions on here...but what do you say?  How do these two bikes stack up?  

I have just about decided to get a used Strom but after seeing some pretty decent prices for the used Tigers (95 - 2002 range)  I am looking into these British bikes as a possible touring bike.  I will be doing a six month tour in the USA and a trip to Alaska maybe within three years.

Thanks for any help.  

BB
I complained about not having shoes until I met a man with no feet.  

Don\'t criticise another man\'s motorcycle until you have ridden a mile on it!

paulie

i was in the same boat here. i very nearly pulled the trigger on a wee, then happened to ride a tiger a few days before i had to commit.

there's absolutely no comparison between the wee and the tiger.

never riden the DL1000, so i can't comment on that engine.

If you're doing touring, and get a Tiger, expect to get an aftermarket seat and have to try multiple windscreens. that was my experience anyway. now that it's sorted, there's no better bike.
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Sasquatch

Both bikes are about equal on all the functional stuff.  They are about equal on their off road abilities, reliability, usefulness, etc.  You can debate numbers back and forth, but it really comes down to this.

Ride them both and buy the one that gives you the biggest woody.  Buy the one that you just do not want to stop riding.

Looking at details on paper between these two bikes is an exercise in futility.

Bamaboy

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Both bikes are about equal on all the functional stuff.  They are about equal on their off road abilities, reliability, usefulness, etc.  You can debate numbers back and forth, but it really comes down to this.

Ride them both and buy the one that gives you the biggest woody.  Buy the one that you just do not want to stop riding.

Looking at details on paper between these two bikes is an exercise in futility.

From all the talk and reviews, they both seem like good bikes and fun to ride.  

Finances will play a big role in my decision also.  A well taken care of bike, fully farkled and low mileage at a good price can sway my decision either way.  

:hat10

cascadetiger

Bom dia amigo,

Your in the Tiger capitol of the internet world here.  i ride regularly with Guys on Vee Stroms, they are good bikes.  My view is that Tigers are a little more off road worthy with more ground clearance.  

The triple engine is the best part of the Tiger.  It really works well and sounds like nothing else on the road.

HappyMan

Character and reliable = Tiger

Reliable and stable = Strom

Both are great bikes.  I like character.  It's what puts a grin on my face.  Suzuki makes a fantastic bike and I've had plenty of them to make that statement.  Good and reliable.  I find that a touch boring.  The Trumpet puts a grin on my face just thinking about it.  8)
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Bamaboy

Is it true that the Tiger (Girly) has to use premium gasoline?  That is what I heard on the ADV forum.

HappyMan

Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Mustang

I used to religiously use 93 or better octane in my steamer , then gas got pricey and plain old 87 octane works fine in my steamer , no pings no knocks . Gas mileage is the same . I even have a 4 degree advance on the engine timing and 87 still works fine .
The only diff. is I get to keep a couple xtra bucks in my wallet . :D

Stretch

The engine is liquid-cooled and computer-controlled.  I've been using 87 in my Tiger for ages... no knocks or pings.

Bamaboy

Quote from: "Mustang"I used to religiously use 93 or better octane in my steamer , then gas got pricey and plain old 87 octane works fine in my steamer , no pings no knocks . Gas mileage is the same . I even have a 4 degree advance on the engine timing and 87 still works fine .
The only diff. is I get to keep a couple xtra bucks in my wallet . :D

I heard that Premium is a requirement for the 855i and 955i.  Any confirmations on that or is that more of a preference?

Never mind.  Stretch just answered my question while I was typing.  Wow talk about swift replies!  I like this site!

aeronca

i was really concidering a vstrom but couldnt do it. i first rode the 650 but was so dissapointed with the lame power and excessive weight of the thing that i just about laughed at the dealer when i brought it back to them. i couldent wait to get back on the steamer. my friend at work has a vstrom 1000 and its much much beter. the power was right, and it felt solid, but was just  -  empty. it had no soul.   go with a tiger. personaly i think the 1050 is an awsome bike and would love to have one  (sitting next to the steamer of course :) ).
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

WIDGIN

I just can't get past the fugly looks of Stroms.  Sure, they're practical and may be easier to get parts for.  But nothing sounds like a triple when it's howling.  8)
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

Bamaboy

Quote from: "WIDGIN"I just can't get past the fugly looks of Stroms.  Sure, they're practical and may be easier to get parts for.  But nothing sounds like a triple when it's howling.  8)

Speaking of sound.  I listened to some T 955's on Youtube and they sound sort of like Jet engines to me.  Def. a unique sound.  Not as throaty and deep as the Strom 1k.  

Looks are in the eye of the beholder.  I thought Rottweilers were the ugliest dogs ever until I bought one and that ugly face just kinda grows on you.   :lol:

Stretch

That's why they make aftermarket pipes.   :grnb