News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Your thoughts appreciated: 1999 wounded Tiger

Started by R100GSPD, May 03, 2004, 01:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R100GSPD

Hello Tiger People! I've been lurking here for a bit and finally have a question that I'd like your obviously well educated, and probably biased opinions on:

I have come across a 1999 Tiger that a fellow is interested in having me take off his hands. The machine is yellow, has 22,000 miles on the clock and has been down and scraped on the left hand side. Obviously it is in need of some cosmetic work as the tank is lightly scraped, the fairing is broken in two places, and it looks like the windscreen was 'custom' altered with a chain saw. The seller is not the original owner, he bought the Tiger at an auction and has no records of any of the maintenance done. The non damaged majority of the machine is very clean with little obvious wear, and the tires, chain and sprockets are in great shape. The Tiger runs seamlessly with no smoke or obvious concernable noises.

He is asking $3250 for the Tiger.

What are your thoughts on this particular machine as well as your thoughts on the asking price. I am certain that I can handle correcting the cosmetic wounds myself such as plastic repair and painting. A new windscreen would be must, but that appears to be the only item in dire need of replacement .

I understand the risk of a somewhat higher then normal mileage machine with no maintenance records, but I guess I feel that perhaps the deal is might be worth the risk. Yea or Nay? and why?

Thanks for your time and input.

Pete

tigerowner_ut

Flawless Tigers are not much more on Ebay.  To get the tiger back to an acceptable condition you will spend around $800 without painting the tank assuming a saddle bag took the brunt of the crash and more if not equipped with saddlebags.  I would have the guy knock it down to $2000-$2500  or look elsewhere.  But that is just me.
Cheers,

David

99 Yellow Tiger: Triumph Exhaust, Heated Grips, Cee Bailey +6 Windscreen, Rick Mayer Saddle, Metzler Tourance Tires, Happy-Trail Panniers.

03 WR450 (lots of mods)

86 TT350 (the tank....Gone)