News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

DAR - sorry to rake over old ground..

Started by RobH, October 01, 2008, 12:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobH

Hi Greg, I used the 'vise grip' type tool. If you're careful where you locate its' claws you can get a reasonable hold on the inner casting of the inner basket, I was careful not to use the threaded towers that the 5 clutch plate retaining bolts screw into, I think there's potential to damage these. I reckon it would be easier if you had an assistant who knew what they were doing. I didn't quite manage the specified 104NM torque (hulk power required!!) but it's certainly on a lot tighter than it was at about 85NM.

A couple more tips that I've found the hard way, support the clutch basket well when removing the inner sleeve and needle bearing to avoid damaging the bearing. I don't know if mine was already damaged but it dropped to bits upon removal.

If you're tempted to remove the cover plate from the inside of the clutch engine casing, for cleaning, be aware that the alloy is very soft and overtightening the bolts will strip the threads in the case. In my case one was already very loose and had obviously been overtightened before, another stripped whilst I was torqueing it. I've had to drill up to 8mm and retap the threads - not ideal! It's also quite difficult to put the plate back in without dislodging the rubber seal below it. If you can avoid it, don't take the cover plate off! Mine had to come off as it had accumulated loads of creamy oil and water cr*p via the airbox drain.

It's also quite easy to damage the clutch inner and pressure plate retaining bolts if torqueing to spec using a micrometer torque wrench. They just seem to keep on turning without getting tight. Having stretched bolts in my CR500 clutch doing this I stop short of the recommended torque when I think they're tight enough.

Good luck!!

RobH

offtheback

Thanks for info..  Now get riding! :lol:
Cheers,
Greg

96 Tiger (some farkles)

"It\'s not tragic to die doing what you love!"  Patrick Swaze as Bodie in Point Break

aeronca

hey geof, did you take any action photo's while  you were working on you bike? im affraid i'll be doing mine soon and would love to see some visual's.     eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

abruzzi

Quote from: "aeronca"hey geof, did you take any action photo's while  you were working on you bike? im affraid i'll be doing mine soon and would love to see some visual's.     eric

Not yet.  I'm hoping to do it this coming weekend if fate smiles on me.

Geof

Colonel Nikolai

Thanks for the parts list Abruzzi!

In preparation for this work I also picked up a hollow splined shaft (#15 in the diagram) from a 2003 Trophy teardown for $30 on ebay along with a ton of other relevant bits to do this repair. It looks new. Is it compatible?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mustang

the splined shaft is the same on the trophy as the tiger / same part number

Colonel Nikolai

Cool, thanks mustang. Also the 03 trophy parts bag came with a sprag clutch, too. I'll bet that's the same as well.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.