News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Questions from a prospective buyer

Started by Sportourer, February 03, 2009, 12:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportourer

Hi. I have a few questions about the Steamer. I have a Honda Transalp right now for my current long distance big dual sport. I am considering replacing it with a Tiger, specifically a Steamer. I am a mechanic for a living and I am aware of the bugs the Steamer has and they seem to be liveable. Here are my questions:
  Givi luggage racks. I see they are no longer avilable from Givi. How hard will it be for me to find a set of these? I really like my Givi luggage and want to just keep the stuff I have and use it on the Tiger.
  Windshield. I have seen a few pictures with aftermarket windshields but I can't find any still available. I would like to have more protection than the stock cowling, so what is or was available and how hard is it to find now?
  Crash bars. I think there are 2 types still available, the New Zealand ones and Hepco-Becker. Can you still get both?
  Centerstand. Can I still get one? And if so, who makes it?
  I know my chances of finding a Steamer with all of these accessories is highly unlikely, so I want to know what I am facing now before I go and buy one.
  Another question is, what is the bodywork like? The Transalp bodywork is very fragile and the mounting tabs and fastening areas will break off very easilly with a very minor fall. And, Honda has discontinued all the bodywork and decals in the USA for it. So, the last time something happened, I had to search for months for the part, then paint it and have the decals custom made. I don't want to have to go through that again. I should just get a newer Tiger or something else that is easy like a V-Strom but I just don't like either. I always seem to want what is the difficult choice. I also want something bigger than the Transalp since most of my Dual Sport trips are very long and I have to cover a lot of roads to get to the places. My next trip this year will be into northern Ontario and Manitoba. I have a small 250 dual sport for the tight stuff around home so I can sacrifice the lighter weight of the Transalp for a better bike on the road. Plus most of my long distance trips are long dirt roads, hundreds of miles of them.
  Sorry for the long post and thanks for any answers.
-Alex

Mustang

Quote from: "Sportourer"Hi. I have a few questions about the Steamer. I have a Honda Transalp right now for my current long distance big dual sport. I am considering replacing it with a Tiger, specifically a Steamer. I am a mechanic for a living and I am aware of the bugs the Steamer has and they seem to be liveable. Here are my questions:
  Givi luggage racks. I see they are no longer avilable from Givi. How hard will it be for me to find a set of these? I really like my Givi luggage and want to just keep the stuff I have and use it on the Tiger.
  Windshield. I have seen a few pictures with aftermarket windshields but I can't find any still available. I would like to have more protection than the stock cowling, so what is or was available and how hard is it to find now?
  Crash bars. I think there are 2 types still available, the New Zealand ones and Hepco-Becker. Can you still get both?
  Centerstand. Can I still get one? And if so, who makes it?
  I know my chances of finding a Steamer with all of these accessories is highly unlikely, so I want to know what I am facing now before I go and buy one.
  Another question is, what is the bodywork like? The Transalp bodywork is very fragile and the mounting tabs and fastening areas will break off very easilly with a very minor fall. And, Honda has discontinued all the bodywork and decals in the USA for it. So, the last time something happened, I had to search for months for the part, then paint it and have the decals custom made. I don't want to have to go through that again. I should just get a newer Tiger or something else that is easy like a V-Strom but I just don't like either. I always seem to want what is the difficult choice. I also want something bigger than the Transalp since most of my Dual Sport trips are very long and I have to cover a lot of roads to get to the places. My next trip this year will be into northern Ontario and Manitoba. I have a small 250 dual sport for the tight stuff around home so I can sacrifice the lighter weight of the Transalp for a better bike on the road. Plus most of my long distance trips are long dirt roads, hundreds of miles of them.
  Sorry for the long post and thanks for any answers.
-Alex

You can make your own racks and add Givi hardware to it , available here
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2079/169/
Mra makes a screen for steamers as does power bronze , the Mra looks more stout
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1101/501/
you could even add the hinges and a pc of lexan and make your own spoiler for it  too
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2813/339/

I believe the only crash bars still available for steamers are the thunderbike bars
http://www.thunderbike.co.nz/shopn/spi/1410038770/tbike_3_TIG
The body work on steamers is pretty good but does shrink with age so reassembly is usually a challenge .
the major problem is the well nuts in the gas tank will spin . but there is a fix for it
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4807

Sw motech makes the centerstand for steamers and it is the OEM one triumph used for the steamers
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2004/501/

Now you need to find a good clean example of a steamer for sale , good luck , they are around but not as easy as you might think to find a good one for sale

Dr. Mordo

I have an extra Givi top rack I'll sell for $50 + shipping, so if you buy a bike PM me.  I'm not really in a hurry to sell it, so I'm sure it'll still be in the garage if you decide you need it.

Those links from Mustang should maybe go in the Steamer wisdom thread - that's good stuff.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Sportourer

Thanks for all the tips so far. I also found the list with all the accessories that are still available. It seems like the only thing I may have a hard time finding are the Givi racks. After owning a Transalp for a while, I am used to stuff being hard to find. As far as factory parts, does Triumph still make everything for the bike or is a lot of stuff becoming discontinued? As I stated above, that is becoming a problem with the Transalp in the USA. Also, another question. What years are the best to buy? I am reading now that the 98's are rumored to have soft heads. Were there other issues in other years? Also, I have read that some years had Mikuni and some had Kehin carbs. Is this true? If so, what is the year breakdown on that.
Thanks, Alex

Mustang

95 to 97's have the old style alternator drive the 98 has the upgraded replacement shaft that is available for the 95 to 97's .
But not all bikes will suffer from the Dreaded Alternator Rattle
the wife's 95 has never been affected ,
US models from 95 to 97 have Mikuni carbs
98's had Keihin carbs , 98's get better gas mileage by a couple mpg
a clean 95 is the best year to buy , but they are all good if they have been maintained properly
The mikunis have a mid range pull that is SWEEEEEEEET
 the mikunis will suffer with wear  that the keihins don't
95's to 97's have kayaba suspension front and rear , and the shock will prolly be junk
Hagon has a replacement or Sasquatch ( a member here ) can rebuild em
98's had showa suspension front and rear , pretty much the same deal , (read as POS)
not all 98's will have soft valves in the head , I think it depends on how long the bike runs up in the higher rpm range
my 98 with 60 k on it is on it's last valve adjust before it needs head work . I ride the snot out of it
my wifes 95 with 45k on it is like new still on the valves , she don't push it up in the rpm 's like I do . HEHEHE  :D

You can get anything stock for parts from a triumph dealer by ordering and so far Bike Bandit has gotten me anything I have ever ordered , they just take three weeks , most dealers take at least two weeks to get parts , so you need to plan ahead !

Brake pads and sprockets and such can be had from alot of places
ie Dennis Kirk , even JC Whitney has EBC gold rotors for steamers

Sportourer

Thanks for the facts. I am a big fan of Kehin carbs because they last longer. My Honda ST1100 has 230,000 miles and the carbs are still perfect. And you are saying that the 98's also have the upgraded alternator shaft. So, this means it should not have the rattle? Another question, do the 95-98 Tigers have an actual alternator with a built in regulator on the back of the motor. I know these motors are based on the Kawasaki inline fours of the late 80's and early 90's and I know they had that type of system. Is this why the charging systems are better on the early Tigers as opposed to the later ones? I guess with the better carbs and improved alternator shaft it is worth getting a 98 and hoping the valves hold out. I am very easy on  bike and I have hardly had to adjust the valves in any of my high mileage bikes so I am sure this would be the same.
  Again, thanks for all the info. I like to be well informed before a make a purchase and I have learned a lot. I know it may seem like it will be hard to find the exact bike I am looking for, but I always manage. Even if it is accross the country, I can just fly out and ride it back. I have done it a few times already since I always seem to want something that is hard to find. These Tigers seem like a lot of bike for the money, so I think it will work out. And the way Transalps sell, I can pretty much break even without spending any money...
Thanks again, Alex

JetdocX

It's between soft valves and hard seats.  Intake valves only.  My exhaust valve clearances are pretty stable.  Used cylinder heads are hard to come by (in my case) or very expensive.  Metric Motors in Houston can re seat the valves and eliminate this problem, I hope. :roll:
From parts unknown.

offtheback

Hepco and becker also makes engine guards for the steamers..  I purchased mine from a local bmw dealer this past summer.
Cheers,
Greg

96 Tiger (some farkles)

"It\'s not tragic to die doing what you love!"  Patrick Swaze as Bodie in Point Break