News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer Crash Bars Fitted Now for tickover adjuster

Started by tigerni, November 09, 2008, 12:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerni

Hi All

I am happy to say I received my crashbars for Jack Lilly and managed to fit them yesterday(big smile)
Apart from giving me a bit more confidence that if (when) I drop my Tiger the damage will be limited, I also think the crashbars look great.
I was amazed at how tight it is the hold rear engine mount nuts on both sides, these really seam to call for a very stubby 17mm ring as far as I can make out.

Anyhow next job is to fit a tickover adjuster as my bike dosnt seem to have one(and ticks over at about 700rpm), I want to take the carbs off first to check what I need and would grealy appreciate any advice on carb removal (there seems to be a lack of space on the Tiger for access of tools)
Am I right in assuming I remove tank, then loosen airbox and undo carbs (sounds simple!?)

JetdocX

You have to loosen the carbs from the engine and the airbox, push the airbox as far aft as you can, remove the end of the choke cable, then the carbs slide out the right side but remain connected to the throttle cable.  The easiest way to take the throttle cable off is at the handlebar end.  It's really silly and poorly engineered.

What year do you have?  My 98 has Kehin carbs and there is an iddle speed adjustment on all three carbs used to synch the throttle valves.  removing the carbs to adjust this is counter-productive.  The engine needs to be running when this is adjusted.
From parts unknown.

tigerni

thank Jetdoc you make it sould easy.

My tiger is 95 running Mikuni Carbs, The carbs att with jubele clips but how do I undo the middle one.

Oh and do I have to remove tank.

The adjuster I was goint to fit is the knob that on left carrb so you can adjust the tickover it works on a cable, does yours have this.

JetdocX

I'm unfamilair with Mikuni-powered Steamers.  Mustang should be along shortly to help answer your questions.

It's easier to synch the throttles and adjust the mixtures on mine with the tank off, FWIW.  It sounds like you are re-attaching a missing piece from one of the carbs, though?  In that case, the carbs will have to come out so you can work on them.  Then tank removal is required.

Do you have any PM due (like checking valve clearances)?  Now would be a good time for this.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "JetdocX"I'm unfamilair with Mikuni-powered Steamers.  Mustang should be along shortly to help answer your questions.

It's easier to synch the throttles and adjust the mixtures on mine with the tank off, FWIW.  It sounds like you are re-attaching a missing piece from one of the carbs, though?  In that case, the carbs will have to come out so you can work on them.  Then tank removal is required.

Do you have any PM due (like checking valve clearances)?  Now would be a good time for this.
yep the Mikunis are supposed to have the same little cable operated idle speed adjuster
the little spring loaded screws that are on #1 and #3 are for synching the carbs , #2 is the MASTER CARB and thats what the idle adjuster controls #2

tigerni

Aw well, will let you know how I get on.
thanks