News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Headlights cutoff switch

Started by stopwatch, December 05, 2008, 01:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopwatch

Hey everyone. Wondering if anybody has installed a switch to turn off the headlights when they're not needed (ex: single track or logging roads) in order to save juice. On which wire(s) did you install the on/ off switch ?
   I've searched, but have not come up with anything. Thanks very much!

Stretch

I've been pondering that myself.  I don't really want to just add a switch, though.

Some nations don't require motorcycles to always run with the lights on, so ideally I'd like to get that nation's 'on / off - high / low' switchgear from a Tiger.

John Stenhouse

They are switched in the UK, I'll try and remember to ring the dealer and find out how much. Feel free to pester me if I forget.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

bike bandit lists both styles for the steamer
the US version with NO headlight switch $125
and the other version (which is most of the rest of the world ) whitch has the headlight switch for $111

Oddly enuff though for the girlies there is no listing for anything other than the US version of the right hand switchgear .

But like John says the UK version has the headlight switch .

outrunner

Quote from: "Mustang"Oddly enuff though for the girlies there is no listing for anything other than the US version of the right hand switchgear .

But like John says the UK version has the headlight switch .

I have a 2006 UK model and there is no headlight switch, the lights being on all the time.

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "outrunner"I have a 2006 UK model and there is no headlight switch, the lights being on all the time.

Andy.

Same for my 05
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Mustang

Looks like 2003 was the last model year to have a headlight switch in the UK
2004 to 2006 models do not list a switch other than "LIGHTSON"

Kiwi Tiger

I am a firm advocate for lights on riding.  I was thinking of fitting a switch for start up.  
Is the Steamer switch cluster the same as the one on the 06?  I was thinking of ordering the Steamer headlight switch and fitting it to the blanked out bit.
Silver 2006 955i Tiger

Stretch

I don't always ride (off-road) where I have permission, so's a 'lights-out' option would be nice.

outrunner

Quote from: "Stretch"I don't always ride (off-road) where I have permission, so's a 'lights-out' option would be nice.

Would it not be just as easy to lift the seat and pull the headlamp fuses when sneaking about off road?  :wink:

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

Stretch

Kill the engine to remove the ignition key, remove both seats, and pull (or replace) a fuse.

Or...

Flick a switch.

Um... no.

Mustang

Quote from: "Stretch"I don't always ride (off-road) where I have permission, so's a 'lights-out' option would be nice.

Stretch

I got the thing high-centered on a large fallen tree one time (on somebody else's private property).  I was able to wheelie the front wheel over it, but didn't have the momentum to ride the rear over it.  So there it sat on the skidplate, with the rear tire three inches off the ground.

If anyone was curious if you can pick up the back end of a Girly by lifting it by the luggage rack (before the property owners came to investigate the sound of a 955i and off-road pipe), you can.

John Stenhouse

The switch comes with the housing and is £72.63 plus VAT at 15%. Local dealer hasn't got one but its next day delivery from the factory.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Stretch

That's about 122 dollars (as of today).  Not too bad.