News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Headlights cutoff switch

Started by stopwatch, December 05, 2008, 01:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

Quote from: "Mustang"Looks like 2003 was the last model year to have a headlight switch in the UK
2004 to 2006 models do not list a switch other than "LIGHTSON"

Concur.  I found the left switchgear from a 2004 on eBay UK, and it is 'Hi-Lo' only.

HappyMan

Quote from: "Stretch"If anyone was curious if you can pick up the back end of a Girly by lifting it by the luggage rack (before the property owners came to investigate the sound of a 955i and off-road pipe), you can.

......not by this short/fat German stock fella.  Three inches off the ground would put that above my head I think... :shock:
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

fano

Quote from: "Stretch"I got the thing high-centered on a large fallen tree one time (on somebody else's private property).  I was able to wheelie the front wheel over it, but didn't have the momentum to ride the rear over it.  So there it sat on the skidplate, with the rear tire three inches off the ground.

If anyone was curious if you can pick up the back end of a Girly by lifting it by the luggage rack (before the property owners came to investigate the sound of a 955i and off-road pipe), you can.

Ha ha, it happened to me once too. I don't remember how I ended up on that rock.

Kiwi Tiger

"I don't remember how I ended up on that rock"

1)It hapens to me all the time

2)Looking at the photo you shouda hung a bit of a righty mate.

BTW good photo, where did you end up?
Silver 2006 955i Tiger

matttys

What about just wiring in a weather proof switch into the positive of the headlight wire?  I've done this on my DRZ and haven't had a problem.  I'm actually thinking about doing it on my Tiger too as having 110w from the low lights alone is a bit much if I want to run driving lamps, grips, jacket and GPS.  

Would there be any issues here with splicing in a switch to the positive of the headlights?  Use something like this mounted on the plastic trim panel - http://www.trailtech.net/040-LS-B.html  Would this 10 amp switch be up to it?
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

Mustang

wire the switch to the relays that control the headlights and any freaking switch will work .
Tigers have relays to the headlights so there is no high amp draw thru the switches .

matttys

Quote from: "Mustang"wire the switch to the relays that control the headlights and any freaking switch will work .
Tigers have relays to the headlights so there is no high amp draw thru the switches .

OK, so maybe the lead coming off the hand grip is the perfect wire?  That way I will only have to put in one switch?

Mustang - Also ordered a valve tool last night . . . it looks snazzy and I'm interested to see it work in person.

Kiwi Tiger

Yup.  Im with you Mustang.  I will fit a switch for maybee $5Nz than $100 and something U.S.
Silver 2006 955i Tiger

Robbie

Quote from: "Mustang"wire the switch to the relays that control the headlights and any freaking switch will work .

the light switch on the girly is on the RHS. it originaly was used on the Thunderbird/Legend/Adveture series and then adopted for the early 9551 sprint and tiger. so any of these could supply the switch cluster

I have a spare USA switch from a bike that was reimported. the connector block is the same as that used with the switch and it has a loop of wire linking the terminals in the connector. cutting this loop and extending the wires to a switch would be a simple job.

the current for one headlight and the coil of the relay pass through this switch so it will need to be rated for that.

all the above is true up to the 03 bike that I have, Triumph may have changed the connector block and wiring harness on later bikes but as all the girlies can have both lights working with the addition of relays i think there is a good chance that all of them are the same
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

matttys

Quote from: "Robbie"I have a spare USA switch from a bike that was reimported. the connector block is the same as that used with the switch and it has a loop of wire linking the terminals in the connector. cutting this loop and extending the wires to a switch would be a simple job.

Sounds good to me.  Does anyone have any pictures of this or is it fairly simple to find by tracing the wires from the hand controls?  Does this cut out both lights or just one?

violin

I got a second hand Right hand ( i know what i mean!!) switchgear from ebay for about £20 just after getting my 05 Girley with the light on/ off function blanked, i think it was off an 02 model and it was a straight plug and play, its rare i ride with lights off but i'm old school and being able to turn things on or off should not have to be under the control of the nanny state ( sorry i mean the UK government  :D )....... Rebellious Huh
WHEN THE TIGER SALAAMS, THE END OF THE WORLD ARRIVES..........

matttys

Quote from: "violin"I got a second hand Right hand ( i know what i mean!!) switchgear from ebay for about £20 just after getting my 05 Girley with the light on/ off function blanked, i think it was off an 02 model and it was a straight plug and play, its rare i ride with lights off but i'm old school and being able to turn things on or off should not have to be under the control of the nanny state ( sorry i mean the UK government  :D )....... Rebellious Huh

So it is my understanding that all the US units do not have the cut off switch, but many of the European models have the built in switch?  I don't mind doing the work and wiring in a switch, but if I can buy used switch gear for a decent price I'd rather do that.  Should I be looking on UK ebay and not USA?  The cutout switch is on the right hand switchgear?  Kind of like this one . . . http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-955-i-TIG ... 240%3A1318

Kiwi Tiger

Mine is an 06, Euro spec.  The switch has a cover over it.
Silver 2006 955i Tiger

John Stenhouse

Matty that one you listed from E bay has the cover over it, so no switch there either
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting