News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve Clearance Check for Tigers and Shim Tool Directions

Started by Mustang, December 22, 2008, 06:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Triumph Valve shim tool Instructions

Valve Clearance Measurement

NOTE : Valve clearances must be checked  with the engine cold (no running for 12 hours)

NOTE 2: If you are not very mechanical you should cease at this point and take your bike to the dealer before you screw something up !

1.Remove camshaft cover . Loosen bolts in a criss cross pattern working from center to outside
2. Remove spark plugs to reduce compression during rotating of engine .
3. Shift Transmission to a higher gear (ie. 5th or 6th). Using the rear wheel to rotate the engine  until a pair of valves have the cam lobes pointing 180 degrees away from the valve shim .  (see fig. 1)

figure 1
4. Using a feeler gauge check the clearance and record the measurement for this cylinder using the worksheet included with these instructions
5. Repeat the above process 3 thru 4 for each pair of valves  .
6. If the measurement does not fall within the allowable  specification  the shim must be replaced with one of the proper size to obtain correct spec . (use the charts included to determine proper shim .)

Valve clearance specifications

Intake valves = 0.10 - 0.15 mm (.004-.006 inch)
Exhaust valves = 0.15 - 0.20 mm (.006 - .008 inch)

.05 mm = .002 inch

Valve Shim Replacement

NOTE : you dont need the tool to replace shims it can be done also by removing the cams . the tool just eliminates the need to remove cams .

Valves can be  adjusted in pairs using the valve shim tool .to hold the valve open to allow removal of shim .

1. Rotate each shim bucket so that the slots in the shim buckets are facing the outer edges of  the cylinder head .(see fig. 2)The shim bucket moves easily if the cam lobe is not pressing on valve . Not real necessary , but just make sure you can access the slot easily on the valve you are working on , you  will use this notch to pick at the shim to lift it out of the bucket .

figure 2
The position of the slots is not critical , they are used for access to the shim for lifting/prying the shim out of the bucket . arrange them so they are convenient to access .

2.  Rotate the engine using the rear wheel until the pair of valves to be adjusted  are held fully open (shim bucket compressed) , ensure that the shim buckets do not rotate  .
(An easier way to rotate the engine crank is with a wrench on the RHS crankshaft where the timing disc is . It just requires removal of the cover over the crank and a new gasket when you put it back together .Leave the engine in neutral for this )
3. Attach the tool mounting plate to the engine on the camshaft caps for the valves requiring adjustment . (see fig. 3) tighten hand tight is all , you do not want to screw these cam caps up because you will have to buy a new head to repair , be careful .
figure 3(shows old style tool finger)

4. Attach the tool legs to the mounting plate and adjust the position of tool leg so that it captures the shim bucket , not the shim (see photo next page)

photo shows tool in use on a 1995 Tiger  see how the tool leg holds the shim bucket down

(above photos show the old style fingers , the new style works the same they are just more adjustable )
see photo below for new style fingers .

Attach the tool fingers to the tool engine plate just snug , so that they can be adjusted front to back easily . screw the tool leg down  toward the shim bucket  and using both up and down as well as front to back adjustments  set the tip of the tool leg like in the above picture .  firmly attach the plate mounting screws and roll the back wheel to bring  the cam lobe off the shim bucket , leaving the shim bucket compressed  (as in photo) pay real close attention to the above CAUTION
5. Rotate engine backwards until cam lobes are pointing up and the tool legs capture the shim bucket preventing them from lifting , now shim can be removed using a brass pick and a magnet . (remember your motor is open and you don't want to drop anything )
6. Take a replacement shim of correct size and lubricate with motor oil before installing  . Fit a new shim to the shim bucket (it will take you a few tries before you get it seated right , you will get better the more you do it)
7. Rotate the engine until the cam lobes are on the shim ,valves are now open and remove the tool legs .  
8. Repeat above procedure for each pair of valves requiring adjustment
NOTE : the tool is made to do two pair of valves without having to move the tool mounting plate

Note: When setting the tool legs I find it easier to roll the cam lobe past center just a little bit which lets the shim bucket start to come back up , set the tool fingers to the shim buckets and  continue to roll the camshaft lobe until it is straight up  ,  by doing this it leaves the bucket up proud of the engine casting and makes fitting the tool fingers to the buckets easier , it also makes removing the shim just a tad easier also .

9. When reassembling camshaft cover to engine apply a good quality RTV Silicone Sealant to the areas of engine shown in fig. 5 below . Also your rubber cam cover gasket can be reused as long as it is in good condition and hasn't become swollen (still fits the shape of cover) . If in doubt , replace it anyway , costs about 20 bucks from your friendly Triumph Dealer !  

figure 5
apply the silicone to the engine block not the valve cover  , helps prevent silicone from getting everywhere when reassembling cover !

10 , Tighten the bolts on cam cover  in a criss cross pattern working from the center out . and don't over tighten they only need  7 foot lbs. of torque (10 NM for you metric types).

11   Go have a cold beverage of your choice , YOU ARE DONE !

Stretch

Linked to Wisdom, Bada-bing, bada-boom.

Thanks, Bro.

tcbezza

Mustang,

Great information. I am just contemplating my 24K service and am thinking of doing the work myself this time as I have a fear the dealer cost is going to be step. The 12K service was something like £490 including taxes  :cry: way to much
Trevor

800 Tiger Road
79 Guzzi V50
72 BSA A65
56 BSA B33

EvilBetty

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Mustang

the feeler gauge set looks good , you really only need the .002, .004 ,.006,..008 and .010 blades and if it has any blades (odd # ) that fall between these sizes it will be more better !

The torque wrench , I don't get a warm and fuzzy over for 22 bucks , you gets whats you pay for I'm afraid,, and a good torque wrench will set you back damn near a hundred bucks !

swamper650

Thanks for the detailed instructions on setting the valves. You take all the mystery out of this procedure. Will be purchasing the required tools to do the job. Having both a 99TBS and an 02 Tiger, this will save me quite a bit. More money for the adventure of the road less traveled!
You don\'t quit riding because you get old...you get old when you quit riding

Kiwi Tiger

I couldn't agree more about a Torque wrench Mustang.  I guess you would have to weigh up how many times you would use it.  Maybe hire one is an option.  For my money I'm buying one as my Tiger is a Keeper and I will save truckloads on having the right tools and doing it myself over the years I intend to keep my Tiger.  Thinking of a stripped bolt in there makes me shudder.  I have a bigger Torque wrench but it is too big for this job and will get one for the lighter settings, and a tool to assist with the shims.
Silver 2006 955i Tiger

EvilBetty

Are there any pains getting this started?  Other than the tank and air box, what else has to come off?  

Coils, fan harness, thermostat mount?  Can the cooling all stay intact, and just let it hang?

Anything else I should prepare for?

I was going to change the plugs too.  Are those easier to install with our without the cam cover?

Stretch

Unplug the fan wire to get it out of the way, but other than that, the cooling system remains untouched.

Once the battery, battery box, tank, and airbox are off, it's just a matter of pulling the coils and the front airbox bracket (the valve cover won't come out of the frame with that bracket sticking up...

aeronca

damn stretch, your hairy :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Stretch

And scary.   :shock:

EvilBetty

DaJudge

My '01 Girly has almost 35K miles.  Recently, I asked the original owner (I bought it from the second owner) about when the valves were last checked.  When he told me at 17K, I've been waiting for a good day to do several things at once (fuel filter, spark plugs and valve check) that needed to be done.  This afternoon I finally got the time to mess with it.

I thought I'd maybe find a few valves out of spec.  All 12 were under the proper clearance. :roll:  The intakes were all .02-.03 under the .10mm minimum.  The exhaust valves were anywhere from.05 below to .09 less than the .15mm minimum.  :shock:  I'm wondering what the exhaust valve seats look like on #3 since the clearances were .08 and .06.

I immediately got on the computer and went to Mustang's shim tool page (which I had bookmarked http://www.geocities.com/mustanggarage/shim_tool.html ) and placed an order.  I asked Mustang to please send it out as soon as he could.  I got an e-mail back from him this evening that it will go out Priority Mail tomorrow.  Thank you Mustang! :D

Now I've got to hunt around town to see if anyone swaps out 25mm shims.  I've also may have to hunt up a micrometer since I hear that the Triumph shims from the factory aren't stamped with their thickness.  Is this true?

Mustang

They are marked but the Micrometer is a real good idea cuz half of the shims the markings will be worn off or unreadable .

Your valve seats prolly are fine ...it's when you lift the cam cover and find intakes that are zero clearance that sucks .
I got a steamer (mine :cry: ) in the garage right now that has zero , none , nada zip for clearance on the #1 intakes , plus they are completely out of shim sizes available to shim . Needs a valve job

Here's a little secret ..........If the shims you pull out of your motor are 2.8 -2.9 mm thick they are prolly the original ones from Triumph !
But if the shims you pull out are 2.1 to 2.2 or less even then you are at the end of the valve or cyl head service life !
:shock:

curt

First, thanks for the great write up.

Valve shims: Is there a good source for shims. I have a 05 Tiger? I wouldn't mind having some on hand before I start. I know I could take the bike apart, figure out what I need, then order some. It would be kinda nice to get it back together the same day. Am I dreaming or are there to many choices? :)
So many roads, so little time