News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve Clearance Check for Tigers and Shim Tool Directions

Started by Mustang, December 22, 2008, 06:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeBenzon

Yes, it did sling a little oil. I put a shop rag over the area where the oil pools, this helped. I figure on washing down the motor with S100 when I complete the work.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S
05 Triumph Tiger Lucifer Orange
08 Harley Ultra Classic Anniversary Copper

http://fast87.smugmug.com/

Fe Man

Valve Clearance Measurement

NOTE : Valve clearances must be checked with the engine cold (no running for 12 hours)

NOTE 2: If you are not very mechanical you should cease at this point and take your bike to the dealer before you screw something up !

I'm very mechanically inclined but something always goes wrong!!!
I just lost my job and do not have the money to take it the dealer. So my choices are:

1. Try to do it myself and be exposed to Murphy's Garage Law
2. Continue to ride a bike I have no history on and 19K miles
3. Ride the wife's KLR
4. Don't ride

Chime in!

EvilBetty

Like in your other post, I'm not sure what the question is.

Yes, something always does go wrong, and if you don't have money for tools and parts if something does go wrong maybe you need to wait it out.

The dealer will charge you $400 just to check the clearances.

Mine was ridden to 24k with no check or adjustment.  When I checked them all but two were out of tolerances but all were still adjustable.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

blacktiger

For all those that have got this far through the thread and have NOT bought the valve tool. You don't have to. You also don't have to remove the cams completely to get the shims out.
All you have to do is remove the cam bearing caps and lift/tilt the cams, from the #1 cylinder end, enough to access the shim you need. There's enough give in everything to do this and it doesn't disturb the cam chain and timing at all.
Sorted and free. :wink:
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

cosmo

Quote from: "blacktiger"For all those that have got this far through the thread and have NOT bought the valve tool. You don't have to. You also don't have to remove the cams completely to get the shims out.
All you have to do is remove the cam bearing caps and lift/tilt the cams, from the #1 cylinder end, enough to access the shim you need. There's enough give in everything to do this and it doesn't disturb the cam chain and timing at all.
Sorted and free. :wink:

I hate it when people use logic and cunning to overcome the need for special tools.

Thank you very much!!

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Mustang

Just 1 very important tip to remember ......
The cam caps are not interchangeable and must be replaced the same spot and direction they come off of , and if you screw up a cam cap you now get to buy a 2000 dollar cylinder head as the caps are line bored for each head and not available any other way .
Also should be noted that the caps have no bearings they are the cam bearings and made of aluminum .
:shock:
Just sayin....you decide  :D

NebraskaRat

Mustang, this question may have been asked before.  Are there any other motorcycle brand shims that will work in the 955 engine, i.e. kawasaki?  My son is currently in South America and may need a shim change and Triumph dealers are few and far between and some don't carry shims (imagine that).  Also, would it be possible to have a good machinist grind an existing shim thinner if you put the ground side down in bucket?

Thanks!

Mustang

Quote from: "NebraskaRat"Mustang, this question may have been asked before.  Are there any other motorcycle brand shims that will work in the 955 engine, i.e. kawasaki?  My son is currently in South America and may need a shim change and Triumph dealers are few and far between and some don't carry shims (imagine that).  Also, would it be possible to have a good machinist grind an existing shim thinner if you put the ground side down in bucket?

Thanks!

Honda and yamahas
click this link for a list of bikes that use the 25mm diameter shims
http://www.sudco.com/25valveshims.html

and the shims can be ground on a surface grinder as long as not much is coming off and they are not heated up by the grinding
not reccomended but I aint saying I've never done it  8)  :oops:

cbxtc6

Quote from: "Mustang"Honda and yamahas
click this link for a list of bikes that use the 25mm diameter shims
http://www.sudco.com/25valveshims.html

Awesome!  Seems I have a whole bunch of these 25mm shims, as I own a CBX!!
 :lol:

I can probably trade folks if needed.  If I recall, mostly 2.70 -> 2.95 range

sloburban

Quote from: "DaJudge"I immediately got on the computer and went to Mustang's shim tool page (which I had bookmarked http://www.geocities.com/mustanggarage/shim_tool.html ) and placed an order.  I asked Mustang to please send it out as soon as he could.  I got an e-mail back from him this evening that it will go out Priority Mail tomorrow.  Thank you Mustang! :D

IFirst, thanks Mustang for the great write up!

I tried clicking on that link to order Mustang's shim tool but the link doesn't work.

Help! I took my bike apart to check the valves, on the first nice weekend of the yea,r and I need to replace a few intakes.  :BangHead

EvilBetty

Click Mustang's WWW button under his post instead. He has a new site.

sloburban

sloburban

Thanks Mustang, I got your tool two days after I ordered it but I haven't had time, until today, to take the shims out and measure them.

All went well until I started loosening the leg (on Mustang's tool)before I rotated the cam lobe back down to compress the valve, after I took the shim out to measure it. The moment I realized what I was doing the leg slipped off the bucket and it sprung back up. Man I hope I didn't break anything. :BangHead I guess I'll find out after I get the right shims and get her running.

BTW Mustang's tool works great and has great instructions... You just have to follow them...oops

I got a set of assorted picks from sears and I thought the shims (on the intake side) popped out quite easily.

I took a few pics where the feeler gauges go when I measured the clearances last week.      

Mustang

Quote from: "sloburban"All went well until I started loosening the leg (on Mustang's tool)before I rotated the cam lobe back down to compress the valve, after I took the shim out to measure it. The moment I realized what I was doing the leg slipped off the bucket and it sprung back up. Man I hope I didn't break anything. :BangHead I guess I'll find out after I get the right shims and get her running.

You will be fine , if I said I have  never done  that I would be lying.............

EvilBetty

Is there a trick to get the shim back in, or do you have to pull the cams at that point?