News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain cleaning

Started by Advwannabe, December 30, 2008, 12:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

Wow, that exhaust cleaning thread threw up a good answer!

What about chains? I had been using Kerosene, believed the oil would not dry out the 'o' rings, but apparently it does.

As my Tigger gets off bitumened a lot the chain gets pretty grubby and I'd like to be able to clean it without shortening its life.

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

bahtiger

Used to use kerosene (and never had any trouble with the o-rings, btw), but WD-40 does as good a job and is a whole lot easier to use.

JetdocX

Lube and clean at the same time with ATF.  It's good and it's good for ya. :lol:   Makes a mess, but cleans up easily.
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

I used ATF for a while, but after a trip with a lot of dirt I have become a WD-40 convert.  There is a ongoing battle over this topic at ADVrider.com.  Many of them are convinced that WD will eat the chain's O-rings, while others have used WD for many years with no problems.  

The way I figure it, WD is cheap, plentiful, and seems to do a good job of cleaning while leaving a light lube in it's wake.  If my relatively new chain dies in 5k miles I'll switch back to ATF.  My current technique is to absolutely drench the chain once a week (I put a big piece of cardboard under it to catch the runoff).  I ride about 200 miles a week.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

ATF is cheaper than WD.  Just sayin' :wink: . :lol:

Edit:  In Mexico you can buy WB-50.  Woooooohoooo!
From parts unknown.

HappyMan

I use Dupont Teflon and I lube after every ride regardless of mileage.  It's easier than forgetting but I don't go over 200 miles.  Clean up has been simple with Dupont.  I don't get much of a build up at all.  For clean up I use that brush and cleaner combo I'm sure most of you have seen but I can't remember the brand.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Dr. Mordo

I honestly don't have a strong opinion about it, but I switched to WD after the ATF really wasn't cleaning my dirt encrusted chain.  After the WD, it literally looked new.  

If you haven't, I'd try both WD and ATF for a few weeks each to see what you think.  I can't comment on the Teflon; it may be great, but I will say that I like the fact that the WD and ATF are easily gotten.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

HappyMan

I'm sure they are cheaper as well as the Teflon is kind of expensive.  However, I buy it by the case and I use it for more than just my chain so it's been great to have around.  It really works quite well.  I might try WD some time on my dirt bikes for kicks though.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

pit0rz

I started using WD40 on my FJs chain back in '02 on the advice of a fellow rider.  That chain is still on the bike and shows no signs of stopping with 20K on it.   :D

I've been using the chain lube that the PO left in the saddle bag when I bought the Tiger.  That chain has almost 12K on it now and it is beyond shot...  I'll be switching to WD with the new chain.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

TigerTrax

I believe the WD-40 is a vegetable based or synthetic based oil and should have no effect on your chain....
it may attract a rabbit or 2.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

JetdocX

I think WD-40 is fish-based oil.
From parts unknown.

Stretch

I buy WD-40 by the gallon and use it in squeeze bottles and trigger sprayers.  I keep an aerosol can or two floating around as well.  I'm a big fan.

As far as fish oil as an ingredient...  http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp

Mustang

Alright already you are both wrong !  :oops:

According to the MSDS data sheet on their website WD-40 is 75% Aliphatic Hydrocarbons , whatever that is and 25 % PETROLEUM BASED OIL and 3% carbon Dioxide

JetdocX

We get oil from the ocean....we get fish from the ocean.....

I rest my case. :P
From parts unknown.

Mustang