News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain cleaning

Started by Advwannabe, December 30, 2008, 12:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

How are you cleaning the chain with WD-40 and ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid, right?)

Are you scrubbing the chain with a brush or just hosing it off?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Dr. Mordo

I usually just hose it off.  I did use a brush once after some heavy dirt riding.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

JetdocX

ATF is self cleaning.  I put it on and ride.

I may really soak it once a month and run a rag over it to pick up the really sloppy stuff.
From parts unknown.

HappyMan

Do you use the ATF for cleaning only or is it a lubricant as well?
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Mustang

Quote from: "HappyMan"Do you use the ATF for cleaning only or is it a lubricant as well?
a lot of folks will use ATF as chain lube when using a chain oiler like a scott oiler etc .

JetdocX

Quote from: "HappyMan"Do you use the ATF for cleaning only or is it a lubricant as well?

Put a drop on your finger.  Now use your thumb to smear it around.  Slippery, isn't it?
From parts unknown.

Dr. Mordo

One of the points I've heard people make is that an o-ring chain doesn't require lube.  It has grease locked inside the o-rings that acts as the chain's lube.  What the chain does need, however, is occasional cleaning to keep dirt from penetrating the o-rings.  Some people use kerosene with a brush to clean, and then go over it with a light lube just to keep the o-rings from drying out.

So ATF and WD are just light solvents that also leave a thin film of lube.

Now, if you are using a non o-ring chain (do they even make one big enought o fit a Tiger?), you need to lube thoroughly and often.  I've actually thought about trying one on my F650 just to see what happens.
1999 BMW F650

1996 Tiger

Stretch

You still need to lube o-ring chains to lubricate the sprockets and chain rollers.