News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help me choose...

Started by abruzzi, January 03, 2009, 09:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

Looks like the Speed Triple will go on the block today.  I have my eye on two possibles for replacement, and I'd love some input.

I the first corner is the drop dead gorgeous italian looker:  the  Aprilia SXV 550 v-twin SuperMoto:

The power to weight is insane on these bikes, with 70hp/270lbs, and a stratospheric redline (13k rpms.)  The draw back is the iffy reliability, really short service intervals (5k miles to replace pistons and rings), and it would spend its whole life as a SuMo--no switching to the enduro version (not something I would trust tearing it up off road.)

http://preowned.sandiabmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/view/95 (please don't buy it out from under me....)

In the second corner is the BMW G650x xChallenge.  Teutonic reliability, (without the final drive problems):

Power to weight: 53hp/318lbs.  Not stodgy, but not in the same league as the Aprilia.  On the other hand, this is the tank engine that has powered most of the BMW Dakar bikes for the last 10 years. Long service intervals and an engine that will last 100k+ make this the rational choice.  Still 2.5 years on the warranty of the bike I'm looking at.  Because reliability isn't going to be an issue, I could run it as an enduro, buy some SuMo rims, and have two bikes in one.

This is what they look like SuMo'd:

I can get both bikes for the same price.  Both are the same distance.  Both lack dealer support in my area.  If I could find one, I'd also consider a Husqvarna SM-610, but there are non in the same range:

What ya think?

Geof

paulie

well given your critiques as my only info, i'd lean toward the BMW.

but TBH, i've not ridden either so I can't offer an informed opinion.  :roll:
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

armadillo76

I would go for the BMW too (though I want to try out a F800GS!). With both I am sure you will run into oddball proprietary stuff but the BMW is much more supported in dealers and aftermarket.
Did the 650 motors have the surging problem BMW never admitted was a problem (but they switched to dual plug heads or somesuch to cure it)?
Good luck, AndyB, NH, 96 Tigre.

fano

If I was looking for excitement, Aprillia would be the one for me. Pure fun bike! ... and beautiful!

AK Tiger

Uhh, 5000 mile piston and ring life??!   :shock:   No bike is that sexy looking ... IMHO.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

HappyMan

Quote from: "AK Tiger"Uhh, 5000 mile piston and ring life??!   :shock:   No bike is that sexy looking ... IMHO.

I think Geoff is independently wealthy so that shouldn't matter.  Right Geoff?  While you are at it buy all three!
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Stretch

abruzzi

Quote from: "HappyMan"
Quote from: "AK Tiger"Uhh, 5000 mile piston and ring life??!   :shock:   No bike is that sexy looking ... IMHO.

I think Geoff is independently wealthy so that shouldn't matter.  Right Geoff?  While you are at it buy all three!

If I were independantly wealthy, I wouldn't sell the Speed Triple to buy this.

What I've discovered is, much as I like having a sport bike, with the quality of the roads here, and the quality of my knee, I need bike with long travel suspension, like an adventure bike and a sumo.

By the way, I'll take donations to the "buy Geof a Sumo" fund, minimum donation $500.

Geof

Geof

HappyMan

Sounds more like you're getting old and broke.... :roll: If I donate to you're cause do I get elevated to Saber Tooth Tiger Status or is that for a larger donation?
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Mustang

well seeing it won't be your only bike , I would myself buy the one that makes me grin when I ride it , or in the case of many bikes with many grins , get the one that makes you feel 18 years old again !

haulin' daze

Wait a minute...A speed triple isn't fun enough for you anymore? You are my hero. :notworthy

abruzzi

Quote from: "haulin' daze"Wait a minute...A speed triple isn't fun enough for you anymore? You are my hero. :notworthy

:pimp

Actually, the S3 is fun, but I want an ultralight sport bike.  I want to try my hand at supermoto type riding.  I know someone with a DRZ supermoto, and it's fun.

The thing with supermoto's for me is they are just beginning to come into their own in a styling sense.  Obviously, they began life as dirtbikes with 17s, and many still look like that (case in point, the DRZ), but in the last few years some have started getting their own styling cues.  I think the husky is one of the best looking--the SM-610 looks a lot different from the TE-610.  It's a specific supermoto look.  The KTM SMR is unique, and some of the big SMs have unique styles--the Duc Hypermotard, the KTM 950 SM, the Aprilia Dorsoduro.  And for me, I like functionality, but I also like my bikes to look good, and a SM made from a Honda DR650 looks kind of goofy.  

I think a lot of things about the SXV look great.  Also, it performs great.  The only drawbacks are reliability and service, and I have other bikes.  THis will not be my daily driver, so if it is out of service at times, so be it.

In case you haven't gathered, the die is cast.  Saturday, I'll have an Aprilia, my first Italian bike.  I'll post some pics when it comes home.

Geof

Mustang

:thumbsup  yeah the aprilla is drop dead sexy ! good on ya !

I already have a CRF450x honda and for my taste they look bad to the bone motarded and with Black Plastics instead of red , with two sets of wheels you got the best of both worlds .

They are a blast to brake slide into a corner and make well over 50 hp with a little tweaking and only weigh 255 lbs

Here's one in red

matttys

How much work do  you want to do on it?  If it is your only bike, get the BMW.  I have a 650 Dakar and the valves haven't moved in 43k miles.  The bike is reliable as hell, will start in any weather and never uses oil.  Great mpg too.  The Aprilia will be a lot more fun, but the oil needs to be changed every 4th ride and the valves will come up quick.  Don't expect to travel any on the Aprilia either.  I have a bored/stroked DRZ470SM that has 57 hp. . . it's like the Aprilia . . . it's a hoot to ride, but man, the thing requires attention.  Since this won't be your only bike, you have made a wise choice.  Now it's time to act like you are 16 again and ride wheelies away from every stop light  8)
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

JetdocX

Congrats on the red Eye-talian bike!  :jealousy
From parts unknown.