News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Has anyone tried a Stelvio yet?

Started by Advwannabe, February 07, 2009, 12:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

My Tigger will eventually wear out. Sad but true.

It doesn't look like the Tiger is going to get more gravel friendly

I've heard too many horror stories to buy a BMTroubleyou

The KTM is brilliant but I don't need the capability it has and it's not quite the mile eater Tigger is.

The Stroms are capable, but a little dull.

The Benelli and Moto Moroni are unproven.

Has anyone had a decent ride on a Stelvio? No I don't mean regurgetating magazine opinions. They tend to write Guzzis off or pigeonhole them. Owners tend to be very loyal. I know the "going out of business since 1921" has not stuck for no reason, but the people who like Guzzis seem to be as passionate as the people that like Tigers

My dealer has been promising for months but still no floor stock. Are these things selling so well overseas that they can't export to USA and Oz?

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

HappyMan

I haven't ridden one but I've spent some time sitting on one.  I really like the bike but I've wanted a Guzzi in the family since my dad had one in the early 70's.  It's a different company today though which is a plus.  Limited support is a problem but it's not much different than a Trumpet in that sense.  I'm not fond of the weight  that the jugs when I take it off the stand but it balances well.  I've been considering the Guzzi or the Aprillia Caponord for my next bike.  Honestly though, I don't think I could part with my Tiger for a long, long time.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

John Stenhouse

I test rode one last summer, lovely bike, but not til they sort the fuelling out. The bike will be fine in a year or two when someone puts a thru pipe on it and gives it a new map. The standard one is so lean it is very snatchy at low revs. The screen suffers from the same prob as the Tiger, buffets on anything but the lowest setting.

Don't get me wrong I liked it, but you need to sort those few niggles out to make it great, bit like the Tiger in that really  :lol: .

Not quite the same as the Tigger and for me I wouldn't buy one til my Tig wore out and that seems quite a way off yet.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

HappyMan

Here is a link to a road ride of the KTM, BMW, Trumpet and the Guzzi.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1236719/moto_guzzi_stelvio_group_test/

Cos

I'm booking a demo with the local lads. I'll post a review and pics when that happens.

JetdocX

Just go buy one, Cos.  It very well may be completely worn out by the time you see your Tiger again. :lol:
From parts unknown.

Cos

17000 Euro...

And my Tiger (knock on as much wood you can find) should be here in March...which is still sooner than the date your fossil's gonna be up and running again.  :lol:

aeronca

i like this bike. might be my next.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

John Stenhouse

Not sure of the US spec for the Mana, but in the UK that bike is an automatic
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

aeronca

WOW, did not know that. what a shame. why would they put a trany like that in such a cool bike?? well, i gues thats off my list. thanks john. :)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

HappyMan

In the U.S. the transmission is user selectable for manual or automatic.

abruzzi

From Aprilia's site:

Gearbox
Sequential with manual or automatic mode selectable by the user.
7 ratios in manual mode.
3 mappings (Touring, Sport, Rain) in automatic mode.
Gear change by pedal or handlebar control.  
The user can switch from automatic to sequential mode at any moment.

Clutch
Automatic

--

So it's a single tranny, but one with auto clutch and simulated manual.  Otherwise, it looks a bit underpowered: 76hp, 73nm.

Geof

Cos

You could probably do something similar to the Shiver, which is most definitely not underpowered.

RT

May never see a stevilo in our area.  No dealers.   There was one but he only lasted a short time.  

Wasn't there a write up in the last couple of months on the Aprilla?   Think it was Rider magazine.  Will see if I can find it.
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown