News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Man, What A Day...

Started by Stretch, February 10, 2009, 04:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

This past fall, I experienced a charging system failure in the middle of a trip.  Since I wasn't able to get the parts within the vacation time we had, I had to rent a U-Haul van to bring the bike home.  Trip ended.  I replaced the charging system (twice, see-sawing the two parts until I finally wised up and replaced them as a pair) and performed the usual 24,000 mile service.  I've put about 700 miles on the bike since then.

Over the past few rides, I have noticed that my voltmeter was slow to come up to normal voltage after idling in traffic.  But after a few seconds, it always managed to slowly climb back up to 14.5, so I dismissed the behavior as simply being the different characteristics of the Rick's Motorsports Electrics charging system, versus the Triumph system it replaced.

Riding to work this morning with the heated jacket, gloves, and grips on,  I accelerated up an on-ramp, and my Datel voltmeter was displaying 11.8 volts, and not increasing.  Oh, fuck me!  Not again!

I had another three miles to ride, and the voltage never picked back up.  I parked the bike in the truck bay of the fire station, and walked inside, with that kicked-in-the-gut deflated feeling.

I do my level best to not let my personal problems interfere with my attitude at work.  We're all great friends here at our house... we celebrate each others' birthdays, fish, ride, and hunt together, so during the course of breakfast, I did tell of my ride to work.  The Brothers were sympathetic.  They know how much I love riding in general, and my Tiger specifically, and that this was the third charging system I've had on the bike since October.

I have a few trips coming up this year, and with the charging system going out again, I don't trust the Tiger to not break down a thousand miles from home.  As much as I love the bike, I have no use for a bike that I can't count on... I'm going to have to install yet another charging system and then sell the Tiger.

By reputation, the most reliable ADV bike is the Suzuki V-Strom, so I started calling around looking for one.  I got on a couple Strom websites and got to researching my next bike.

I simply felt depressed and nearly sick all day, at the thought of being forced to get rid of my beloved Tiger.  I couldn't even look at it when I walked past it today.

Finally at about 9:00 this evening, I went out to the truck bay to have a conversation with my Tiger.  The first thing I did was to check the fuse in the Sasquatch Voltage Fix, but it was okay.  Damn... it must be yet another burned-out stator / RR.  While explaining my requirement of having a reliable bike, and promising to clean her up and wax her (she's covered with mud) if she would only cooperate, I started fiddling with the stator-to-RR wire, and found a curious anomoly... the inside of the plastic connector was charred.

"What the...?"

I finally got the connector apart, and found that the push-on spade terminals must not have been of the highest quality, because evidently the connections were loose enough to cause a great deal of electrical resistance, creating heat.  And the hotter they got, the worse the continuity, until it finally got to the point that current couldn't pass at all.  Only the connector was affected... a half-inch away from the connector, the wires were completely undamaged.

Hope springs eternal.  Just to see what would happen, I cut off the burned connectors, stripped the wires, and twisted them together as though they were coupled by the connectors.

I turned the bike on and thumbed the starter.

14.7 Volts!!!

All is well.  

This really took me by surprise, as the stator and RR were both brand-new when I installed them in November, and I even went so far as to smear on a dab of dielectric grease to prevent this sort of thing.  I recall German saying a similar thing happened to him, at the end of his 'Bike Dead In Highway' thread.

So tomorrow, I'm going to clean those stripped wires really well, and solder them together.  To hell with loose connections.  I'm going to solder the Sasquatch Voltage Fix in to the RR wiring also.

So, if you're feeling a bit bored this winter, go out and visit your Tiger, unplug the stator and Regulator / Rectifier (both ends), and use a pair of needle-nose pliers to squeeze the rolled edges of the female terminals inside the plastic connectors, in order to make them grasp the male terminal more positively.

I'm going to bed now.  I have to detail my bike tomorrow.

Man, what a day.

sanjoh

Getting rid of the Tiger? Nah. Suzuki's aren't so bad. Here's a winter pic to help the spirits.

Venice, FL a couple of weeks ago.
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

aeronca

for the most part, it's alway's something simple. glad you were able to assess, and fix easily. it sure is funny about tigers, just when you start feeling let down by them, and threaten to buy a wee or vstrom, they straighten right up :lol: . when mine was still shutting down on me in the middle of the highway, after hunreds-o-dollars later, i threatened mine with the same fate, and KAPOW, turned out to be a plugged tank vent, and no suzuki for me. good job stretch :thumbsup
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

John Stenhouse

Stretch, NO! You can't buy a strom, I know Tiggers can be, how do I put this.......a PITA, but you would miss the bike too much to swap for a V
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

HockleyBoy

Glad you found the problem and it appears to be minor, hopefully once you have done your soldering you will get a lot of trouble free miles out of the Tiger and wont have to resort to the Vstrom.  :D
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Stretch

My trouble is, my previous bike was a Honda Magna, with the 750 V-four, and was 100% dead-ass reliable in the 20,000 miles I had on it in 14 years.  With the exception of winter-time battery deaths, I never had a single mechanical or electrical breakdown, and the bike never left me stranded.  

Now, for some reason, I have it in my mind that (non-HD) bikes should be trouble-free until the end of time, and that when something does occur to my beloved Tiger, I take it as a personal affront.  Silly, I know.

The Strom was (and still is) my second choice, based on it's capabilities (very similar to a Tiger's) and it's long-earned reputation for reliability.  But they just don't excite me.

I was feeling quite depressed yesterday when I assumed that the only way I could have an extremely reliable bike was to trade in my Tiger.  Lord knows I don't want to.  I'm gleefully happy that it didn't come to that.

I still think she's just pissed at me because I left mud on her for a month.  A wash, wax, and detail is the plan for this afternoon.  I always keep my promises.

Mustang

Us seasoned (OLD) Brit bike riders call it 'character' :ImaPoser
which the V strom is lacking and the Honda certainly doesn't stir one's loins .

cbxtc6

Did it look like this?

I feel your pain, brother.  I, too, went 'round and round with this.  In the end, I may, or may not have fixed it.  I traded it in...

Diesel Dave

You could always convert your Tiger to diesel power and have no dependencies on electrical witchcraft  :D

Apart from the starter - well you could get a Pellham spring starter; works like clockwork - wind it up with a pull cord and then let it rip.

I do have a diesel engined Enfield with a kick starter, 2 winters ago the loom shorted under the tank and left me in the dark with the motor running fine.

I arrived home looking like 'torchy the battery boy' with my toolkit torch gaffa taped to the side of my crash helmet. The bike now carries a bicycle flashing red LED mounted on the rear just in case!

Compression ignition = the 'Dark Side' of motorcycling

Diesel
\'96 Tiger with 1000cc diesel triple and Harley 6 speed gearbox
\'65 Royal Enfield Diesel 9hp
\'72 Honda C90

Stretch

Quote from: "cbxtc6"Did it look like this?

I feel your pain, brother.  I, too, went 'round and round with this.  In the end, I may, or may not have fixed it.  I traded it in...

Yeppers, that's the animal.

Stretch

Quote from: "Diesel Dave"You could always convert your Tiger to diesel power and have no dependencies on electrical witchcraft  :D

Apart from the starter - well you could get a Pellham spring starter; works like clockwork - wind it up with a pull cord and then let it rip.

I do have a diesel engined Enfield with a kick starter, 2 winters ago the loom shorted under the tank and left me in the dark with the motor running fine.

I arrived home looking like 'torchy the battery boy' with my toolkit torch gaffa taped to the side of my crash helmet. The bike now carries a bicycle flashing red LED mounted on the rear just in case!

Compression ignition = the 'Dark Side' of motorcycling

Diesel

So your oil burner has no generator or alternator to recharge the battery and power accessories?

2004Tiger

Good catch, Stretch. You wouldn't like the Strom. My brothers and I rented one for a week and didn't like it for a variety of reasons, one of them was that it is very short. Not the one for you.

Back to your episode, you thought the burned connector was poor quality, but are you sure? Was the problem possibly a side effect of the Sasquatch voltage fix? I expect to "do the fix" some day and just have to ask.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Diesel Dave

QuoteSo your oil burner has no generator or alternator to recharge the battery and power accessories?

Ah you have me there, as it has both :oops:- just doesn't depend on it for the engine to run. :D

You can legally run a bike in the UK without lights and get a daytime MOT.

I even paid extra for the flywheel alternator in place of the belt driven car type the usually comes with the engine.
\'72 Honda C90

Stretch

How does the bike shut down?  A mechanical fuel shut-off valve, or is it electronic that shuts off the fuel when you trip the kill switch?

That would be sweet if it were entirely mechanical, not depending on flowing electrons to keep your bike running.  I'd still have a voltmeter installed on the dash to keep track of the goings-on in the Electrical Room.  Otherwise, a fellow could run lights, heated jacket, and other accessories and lose his battery without knowing it... until he tried to restart it after a fuel / food / WC stop.

I would imagine that the compression on your engine would preclude the possibility of roll-starting your bike.  Have you tried it?  Just curious.

Diesel Dave

There is a mechanical fuel shut off, connected to the redundant choke lever on the bars.

There is an optional electrical shut off valve and it has a mechanical bypass should the volts fail, but this was extra complication I didn't need.

Compression is over 22:1 and there's no decompressor as there is on the little single diesels so no chance whatsoever of a bump start - that's why I considered the clockwork starter:

http://www.springstarter.com/index.htm

You can kick start a 400cc 18:1 compression motor:

So if I could just find a set of approved gas lights and perhaps fit a compressor and some air horns - I could go electric free!

Cheers
Dave
\'72 Honda C90