News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Selling a Bike?

Started by zaskarson, March 03, 2009, 10:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaskarson

I am ready to sell my first bike, a 06 KLR650 and I have some questions about the standard selling protocol. It has a clear title. My biggest concern is in regards to a test rides. Is it generally expected that the prospective buyer gets a test ride before the purchase? I can see why they would want one and the dealer let me ride my bike before I purchased.  I hate the thought of someone riding it and having an accident not only because the bike would be damaged but also because I or my insurance would likely be held liable. I am also concerned about ride-offs i.e. taking off and not returning with the bike. Another question, are bikes sold as a cash only deal for payment. Any other advice on selling a bike would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on listing it on Craigslist and a few of the KLR forums.

Thanks,
Zas

HockleyBoy

If someone wants a test ride you can always insist on a cash deposit for the amount you want for the bike that way you are covered if they damage the bike or steal it.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Mustang

Quote from: "zaskarson"I am ready to sell my first bike, a 06 KLR650 and I have some questions about the standard selling protocol. It has a clear title. My biggest concern is in regards to a test rides. Is it generally expected that the prospective buyer gets a test ride before the purchase? I can see why they would want one and the dealer let me ride my bike before I purchased.  I hate the thought of someone riding it and having an accident not only because the bike would be damaged but also because I or my insurance would likely be held liable. I am also concerned about ride-offs i.e. taking off and not returning with the bike. Another question, are bikes sold as a cash only deal for payment. Any other advice on selling a bike would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on listing it on Craigslist and a few of the KLR forums.

Thanks,
Zas

Yes , cash only .....it is too easy to stop payment on anything else .
also no test rides , let them start the bike and listen to it , you will be screwed if they have an accident while riding your bike .  The potential buyer can check every thing they need to know by thoroughly examining the bike , and seeing how easily or hard it starts from cold will give a good indication of condition to motor. There are way to many people that will screw you over these days , and specify on the bill of sale that it is sold in as shown condition with no returns .

iansoady

It's always really tricky.... Everyone says never buy a bike without riding it, and never let anyone test ride if you're selling. I've sold a few in my time and never been burned giving people a test ride, but perhaps I've just been lucky.

I believe in general that insurance may well not pay out if you've actually given the keys to someone and they disappear with the bike.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

jays58

Quote from: "HockleyBoy"If someone wants a test ride you can always insist on a cash deposit for the amount you want for the bike that way you are covered if they damage the bike or steal it.

I agree, it's good to protect yourself against damage to the bike this way, but the much scarier possibility is that a potential buyer goes around the block and crashes into another vehicle or runs over a kid in the street on YOUR motorcycle.  (Even a veteran, sensible rider can have an unfortunate mishap, especially on a bike that's new to them).  Right or wrong, the liability will find it's way back to you.  

You want to make sure that when he / she rides off your property, they have 100% of the liability.  I've heard of sellers offeing a 1 hour money back guarantee.  You negotiate the deal and make the transfer.  Issue a bill of sale that says if the buyer returns the bike w/no damage within the hour, you'll take it back and refund the $.  Seems fair and I'm guessing not likely to occur if the buyer is a reasonable person and you've been upfront about all possible issues.
\'02 Tiger 955i
\'01 Sherco 2.0
\'74 Yamaha TY250

diggerT

I wouldn't buy a bike privately without a decent try out, so I would expect most potential purchasers to do the same. If you are not sure, take the full amount in cash or at least the keys to their vehicle as long as it's not a wreck. The bloke who bought my steamer didn't want to try it, paid me the full amount, then rode down my driveway and fell off! Luckily the only damage was to his pride>

Digger