News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Almost hit by a car on Sunday

Started by DobroDog, March 19, 2009, 04:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMan

It is good to wear highly visible colors but the fact is that the idiot that pulls in front of you not seeing your bike would pull in front of you if you were in a car.  Accident avoidance is key but not all accidents can be avoided.  Laying on the horn usually just causes the idiot to panic and cause even more problems though I'm not advocating not using one.

Riding a bike is dangerous and it needs to be accepted as that or just don't ride.  Anyone that knows me knows that if I die on the bike I'll die with a smile.  That's not a cute thing to say.  I mean it.  I ride knowing the risks.  That being said I practice then I practice more and even practice while in the car.  I've been riding for 36 years now but I still get out and practice regularly once to twice a week.  Both dirt riding skills as well as street.  In the winter I continue to practice whether on the bike or not.  In the car any turn I make my mind is going through the motions of proper cornering.  When I break my right hand tightens.  No joke.  Practicing panic stops solo as well as with a passenger, cornering, moving U Turns from a stop, etc.  

You can never practice enough folks and wear ATGATT whether high vis or not.  Just don't get cocky because you are wearing it.  Ride like they are all trying to kill you because most of them are.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

haulin' daze

Quote from: "HappyMan"Ride like they are all trying to kill you because most of them are.

:iagree

F'ing A!!

Bixxer Bob

There's a very good ad campaign running in the UK at the moment which makes the point that, when you're not concentrating, if you're not looking for bikes, you won't see them, it's that simple.  I even had a J-walking Ipod-wearing jogette walk straight out in front of me this week.  She looked right at me, had eye contact and everything. But I could see, three or four strides before she stepped into the road, that her brain hadn't registered I was there  :BangHead :

Anyway,  the ad is here:

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

What happens I think is most people are programmed to see a larger silhouette image like cars and trucks and when they see the bike silhouette , because you present a smaller image than a car or truck so  their brain  assumes you are farther away then you really are  .
and some folks just have their head up their ass and won't see you no matter what .
Like has been said already " Ride like they are out to get you "
never assume someone sees you

abruzzi

I've always enjoyed this motorcycle safety ad:

Geof

HappyMan

Nice Geof.  One must also ask what they are doing to be seen.  When I see a car at an intersection I always move my bike in my lane from side to side and I also make sure I am not being shadowed by a car in front of me.  It's important that we make sure we are seen.  Now, that's only part of it because like a deer coming up out of a ditch there are many drivers you never get the chance to see.  But it is important that we do everything we can do ourselves.  Drive defensively.  We share the road with idiots.....I mean that with all my heart.  I think that in the U.S. our standards for passing a driving exam is way too low.  I take this seriously and so I start training my kids quite young on both bikes and then in cars.

Stretch

Dang, that's the video I was looking for, but couldn't come up with the right keywords to search for it.

Classic.

abruzzi

Ultimately safe driving is incumbent on the motorcyclist since we can't expect most driver to be well trained.

- Like TigerTrax said, learn to brake.
- Make yourself visible.  80% of MC accidents are caused by the car.
- If you are entering an intersection, or other dangerous place, be extra prepared.  60% on MC accidents happen in intersections.
- always know where your escape paths are.
- pony up for some track time, so you can learn the extremes of maneuverability of your bike.

(stats are from memory, based on an article I read, but cant find.)

Geof

HappyMan

Grodsky had a great list of 25 safety tips.  I remember reading them and they stuck too me.  I'll try to dig them up if I can find them somewhere or if I have to find his book I'll retype some of them.  They were quite good!

Advwannabe

Agree with everything that's been said here re riding gear, technique and attitude.

Maybe the one thing that hasn't been said clearly is concentration. The cars are going to do dumb things, that can't be changed. Are we going to be alert enough to see it in time and take the right steps? My last accident was coming down on gravel on a mountain road because I wasn't fully focused on what I was doing.

Last Sunday coming home from the Alps I allowed some idiot in a car to get way too close to me, wobbling in his lane, fumbling around for gear in the passenger seat before swerving over into my lane. Yes it was his fault but that's cold comfort from a hospital bed. When I'm on my game I can see the signs and get clear instead of presenting as an easy target, but I was riding tired.

I'm now in my mid 40s but I can no longer take my focus for granted. Some of you may have noticed that it's harder to concentrate for long periods as we get a little older. No biggie, we just need a little more mental down time to be able to fully take responsibility for our own safety.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

HappyMan

Perfectly put advwannabe.  

I didn't find Grodsky's 25 on line but I pulled his book off the shelf.  Great book.  I might need to read it again.  Reads a little like an obit though since it was written following his death.  The book's title is Stayin' Safe.

I don't have time to write all of them down but here's a couple to ponder. (paraphrased)

2- Mind your throttle.  The time it takes to close the throttle can double your stopping distance.

3- Check lanes before slowing or stopping.  Your awareness needs to be 360 degrees.

4- Have escape routes when stopped at controlled intersections.  Leave a car length between you and the car in front of you.  Hold the cluthch in, keep the bike in first gear, check the mirrors, and listen for squealing tires.  Scan the area to both sides and know where you'll flee to if you must.

7- Take a dirt bike course.

8- Observe features above the road surface.  Fences, trees, rooflines, utility wires, etc., will often indicate direction changes well before you can actually see the pavement.

10- Practice quick stops.  

11- Practice U-Turns.  

12- Watch for shadow vehicles.

14 - Practice countersteering aggressively.  

15- Position the bike for every potential hazard.  The Golden Rule of riding in traffic is to simply put the bike where others cannot do unto you.

17- Wear a full face helmet.

19- Wear a real riding suit.

21- Perform a head check for each lane change.  Mirrors are not enough.

22- Beware of SUV's.  

23- Make your butt stick out.  A bright helmet and torso are best.  Prominent reflective material on your bike is good.

24- Learn rear break control.  

One other note.  Professor Harry Hurt from the Hurt report states that there is "no magic bullet  to eliminate the majority of motorcycle crashes."  Yes, it is dangerous.  We need to always be aware of the dangers of riding bikes and accept them as part of the reason we ride.  Danger is part of the fun.  That being said, the more I remind myself the more I concentrate on the thoughts of Larry's above.  

One last thing.  If you aren't familiar with Larry Grodsky, he was known as Mr. Safety and wrote for Rider magazine for many years.  He died when he was struck by a deer riding at night between speaking engagements.

Stretch

oxnsox

Agree with you all, just don't think drivers in one place (or even one country) are any worse or any better when it comes to seeing other road users...  whatever they ride or drive!!!
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DobroDog

Some great advice...thanks

When I ride I now cover the horn and passing lever to flick the lights; I am not shy about using them. Better to piss some one off than let them pull out and hit you.
DobroDog

HappyMan

Quote from: "DobroDog"Some great advice...thanks

When I ride I now cover the horn and passing lever to flick the lights; I am not shy about using them. Better to piss some one off than let them pull out and hit you.

I'm not saying that flashing the lights is a bad idea but I've been leery of flashing my lights for fear that the idiot in the cage will just think it's a sign that I see them and I'm letting them cross my path.  However, I have flicked my lights at a high rate when at a distance far enough away that I figure they can't possibly think I'm sending them a signal and hoping that the high rate of flicker will look more like my head lights are shaking.  Either way hoping to catch their attention.  Just been afraid to flash when close enough for someone to think it's a sign. :roll: