News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Almost hit by a car on Sunday

Started by DobroDog, March 19, 2009, 04:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DobroDog

Quote from: "HappyMan"I'm not saying that flashing the lights is a bad idea but I've been leery of flashing my lights for fear that the idiot in the cage will just think it's a sign that I see them and I'm letting them cross my path.   :roll:

Good point, I hadn't considerd that they might think that. Thanks HappyMan
DobroDog

MikeBenzon

Quote from: "DobroDog"Was riding down a narrow, wet, twisty road on Sunday, taking a sweeping curve to the left when a car pulled out from a drive way on my left into my lane. Braking was not an option.

Grabbed all the throttle the Tiger had to offer and shot the ever decreasing gap between his front quarter panel and the shoulder.

This is my first near miss...

The sensible thing to would have been to park the bike at the first gas station I came to with a for sale sign on it and walk home. Rode to work the past two days with out giving it much thought. I am buying body armor and a bright Orange Vest/Jacket to go with my Green Tiger.

Part of me thinks I must be crazy for shrugging this off. I would be interested in hearing how others felt after their first close call or accident.

DobroDog

Good gear is certainly the right thing to do, but:

There's is no replacement for looking far enough ahead to see what's is developing to be able to react to it. (Cars at driveways or intersections will pull out in front of you,  cars parked on the side of the road will pull a U turn in front of you, plan for it, cover your brake, slow down. If you don't, you are going to die on your bike).

Realize that no matter what you are wearing, the other people on the street probably won't see you and you need to make all you plans based on that idea. They aren't looking for a motorcycle coming at them, they are looking for bigger objects like cars and trucks.

I was lucky to learn this hard lesson when I was eighteen years old, 40 years ago. It has served me well, that's not to say I won't be taken out tomorrow. At least I will be giving it one hell of a try.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S
05 Triumph Tiger Lucifer Orange
08 Harley Ultra Classic Anniversary Copper

http://fast87.smugmug.com/

Wiggus

Quote from: "HappyMan"When I see a car at an intersection I always move my bike in my lane from side to side and I also make sure I am not being shadowed by a car in front of me.  It's important that we make sure we are seen.

Hey all. New member here.

Amen. I do the same thing. A little "beep beep" doesn't hurt either. Does little good when the driver is asleep at the wheel behind you. Just two week ago I was on my Shadow ACE and turning left into my neighborhood. The speed limit is 25mph there, which I always do whether in a car or on the bike in hopes that the college students who live in student housing further up the road may someday take notice. The one behind me that day didn't.

She locked up her brakes coming up behind me. In my mirror I could see her on (you know what I'm gonna say) HER CELL PHONE. I sprinted quickly into my neighborhood and stopped just inside to look back at her. On top of it, she was glaring out the window back at me (for being in her way I suppose), with a phone stuck to her ear, blindly flying down the road, next to the public park across the street. Sheesh.

Pennsylvania is pretty close to banning cell phones while driving. Can't come soon enough.

Last fall, a rather dark evening. I was approaching a light where cars turn across to get onto the freeway. I saw a cars lights approaching me, no turn signal on, but I just got that "FEELING". Sure enough she started to turn right in front of me. Had I not gotten that feeling, I'd have been a mess. But I had slowed down enough before that I could avoid her. She never stopped, and proceeded to sideswipe the entire length of a Ford Explorer that had just turned right onto the freeway on-ramp behind me. If she didn't see the Explorer, she certainly didn't see me.

The "FEELING" has saved me a couple times.

I just sold the Shadow and bought a Girly. I'm gonna try and ride some firetrails for fun and stay off the roads for a while.
You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...

coachgeo

Well here is a dumb one that they Harley Guys why die to tease about but.... what about the old Police bikes.  The ones that had a post on the tail that was taller than the rider and had the police flashing light on top.  

Something like that with a noticeable something like a lite up tigers head or something.  Original and might help you get noticed?
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

coachgeo

Stretch

'Police Blaster'?  WTF?

coachgeo

Quote from: "Stretch"'Police Blaster'?  WTF?
Usually rides like that were confiscated drug stuff then turned into PR on wheels for Police Dept, DARE projects etc.

Stretch

I'm aware of DARE and where the vehicles come from.

I was referring to the hokie graphics on the tupperware.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "HappyMan"I'm not saying that flashing the lights is a bad idea but I've been leery of flashing my lights for fear that the idiot in the cage will just think it's a sign that I see them and I'm letting them cross my path.

Varies where you are in the world, out here flashing means "I am coming through and not even thinking about stopping", took me all of two occasions stopping at right hand turns (riding on the correct side :wink: ) and getting a scared blank stare before it dawned on me.  Now I make eye contact and wave a hand.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

aeronca

last week was  a f@** up week. on wedsnesday on the way home in the morning on I-405 in renton, a guy shot across all three lanes from his on ramp, in an attempt to get in the H.O.V. lane as fast as possible. problem was, i was in the spot he was so convinced was open. if i could find the origional owner of my steamer, i would buy him dinner for installing tha FIAAM  horns - they woke him the f**k up. he damn near put me into the center barrier at 65mph, whitch im sure i would have ended up over that thing into on comming trafic, not a nice thought. the problem is, this happens all to often. this was not the first time this has happened to me and im sure there many of you that this has happened too also. we can prepare for the worst with all the atgatt we can find, light up uor bikes like a freight train, hell even put a rotating beacon on our helmets, but there will always be some jackass drinkink a coffee, or putting on makeup convinced the world revolves around them. our best defence is our own skill's on the bike. KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVLE is what the old man used to say, AND LEARN BRAKING AND THROTTLE SKILLS. im convinced the super loud horns i got saved me this time. i hope i dont have to use the again, but im glad i got them.

then two day's later, a homeless guy ran out from no where at the I-90,I-5 interchange i guess trying to go across the freakin highway, and almost ran staight into the back of the bike. scared the crap out of me.WTF is going on? it's got to be the full moon. :shock:

ride safe to all,          eric.

p.s. sorry, i didnt mean to highjack the thread.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

DobroDog

Quote from: "aeronca"ride safe to all,          eric.

p.s. sorry, i didnt mean to highjack the thread.

Seems on topic to me...

I am lucky, my commute is two lane twisty blacktop. Though I did discover a 6' 2x4 in a sharp right hand turn the other day. Good thing it was parallel to the road and not crosswise. Not sure how well we would have bounced over it leaned over  the way I was.
DobroDog

SherryBurke

I had seemed down just a 50 percent a second more. I always use a completely cushioned coat, safety gloves, headgear, and some great shirts, but I have yet to buy actual driving footwear or some armored jeans. As I was driving house I observed I was flexing up and grimacing whenever I took even the least bend, considering my feet moving and defeating against the road in a fall out.
Sherry Burke

Bixxer Bob

Hey Sherry, where are you? Please fill out lcation in your profile so we at least know which side of the pond you lie, Cheers!! :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...