News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Missing after cruise control install

Started by kpmunt, March 20, 2009, 03:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpmunt

Installed a CCS100 cruise control a few weeks ago.  Now that the barren north country allows limited test rides I have found out that I am now experiencing a miss.  Originally ran poorly when started, found one of the fuel lines not seated completely, seemed to idle fine after that, starts good etc.  

Took it down the road a couple of miles and seemed OK but after about 1 mile it started to miss.  My thought was the tap into the coil wire was bad.  Pulled apart tonight and seems to be fine.  

There is one free hanging plug in under the air cleaner (should be able to see in photos).  The lines to the fuel tank were marked before pulling so am fairly confident that they are mounted correctly.  You can see where I tapped the vacuum line into the right throttle body, all seems tight there.  

Some info may be hidden in the below photos.

Ideas???

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo16 ... ction1.jpg
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo16 ... ction2.jpg
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo16 ... ction1.jpg
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo16 ... ection.jpg

Bruincounselor

Is the miss at idle or all throttle positions? Did you test for spark?

When I installed mine I seperated the vacuum system - Throttlebodies #1 and 2 went to the idle motor, #3 is dedicated to the cruise. I don't have  picture.

I'm wondering if the T is causing an issue or if you have a leak somewhere. Are you using a vacuum reservior?
Bruin\'

kpmunt

Idles fine but misses under throttle.

So regarding the vacuum, you just pulled the line off one throttle body completely?  I am not running a vac cannister, only a check valve.  I had the same set up on a Honda ST1100 and it worked great.

Bixxer Bob

Sorry to hijack your post for a minute but your pic shows exactly how I had my throttle jam open last year (see here: http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

The little white nylon T piece wasn't zip-tied out of the way and had twisted round till it could get in the way of the throttle cam.  It only took me opening the the throttle full for it to jam open (because the Tiger has such a long throttle movement - much longer than my Honda - I rarely give it full chat).

Please people,  if you have a mod like this,  make sure it's tied well out of the way.  I can't tell you how big a butt-clenching experience it is having a Tiger launch itself at the traffic on full throttle  

Hey stretch -  maybe we need a "How not to"  Sticky to complement the Excellent "How To" thread???  
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "kpmunt"Idles fine but misses under throttle.

So regarding the vacuum, you just pulled the line off one throttle body completely?

Yup.

OK at idle but miss under throttle isn't generally indication of a vacuum leak. You can test with some WD-40 or carb cleaner by spraying all connections at idle. If idle goes up you have a leak.

+1 for Bixxer Bob's post - I had the same thing happen to me with the stock hose setup after a shop was fettling. It can happen to anyone - thank dog for the engine cut off switch :shock:

At this stage I'd probably disconnect the cruise wiring harness and check  engine operation without the unit hooked up.

Hang in there, it will get sorted....
Bruin\'

kpmunt

Thanks for the heads up on the throttle obstruction.

Any input on the plug that doesn't have a home?  It is the grey plug in the photo on the post just above the vacuum T.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "kpmunt"Any input on the plug that doesn't have a home?  It is the grey plug in the photo on the post just above the vacuum T.

It's an extra. While that seems odd the explanation is that the wiring harness was built for several models - including the 600 IIRC. Any luck on troubleshooting?
Bruin\'

kpmunt

Hope to get back at it tonight/tomorrow.  Everything looked as it should when I pulled it apart.

TigerTrax

Continuing on for STEAMER OWNERS...

If you change the fuel hose between fuel valve and carbs...
there is a good chance your new hose will have a thicker wall and
slightly larger diameter....

When you fit the end to the fuel supply tube on the carbs ... the hose may very well interfere with throttle motion.

WHILE THE TANK IS OFF: Operate the throttle, to check for free play, if it is hanging up you will see the culprit immediately...   there is a
bronze metal tab rubbing on the hose.... take a long straight slot screwdriver and bend that tab 'just a scosch' and you'll be fine.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

kpmunt

Had everything apart, disconnected and reconnected everything.  Put it back together and ran fine.  Drove about 10 miles and put  on fuel, couple more miles in town and starts missing.  Drove a few blocks and then starts running fine again all the way home.  We'll see how it goes as I continue to put on miles this spring.

No joy on the cruise though.  Will need to re-assess the set up later.